Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue: Ozark Oak

Options

Comments

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Does this mean that I'll eventually be able to find Ozark Oak here in CA?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    Not bagged nor tagged as OO. Seems like my last 14 bags of OO might be headed to Antique Road Show yet! OR - the probate court may ask Mr Executor for Mr Pratt's will what is this Ozark Oak that you have placed such a high value on?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Begger said:

Yes.  It will be in a red bag labelled Royal Oak.  They've added a feature where white smoke billows for hours on end.  This is just an indicator so you know your fire is still going.

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Begger said:
    Only if they agree to label it with the CA liberal agenda Prop 65 tag.  Good luck on that. Why not just pickup a bag of RW instead?  Oh wait...you're in CA. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Snapped this pic of 3 Cats today. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Kitty's got claws...hiss! @SGH
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Thanks! In 800 words or less can you explain how these mile long lengths get welded together and then dragged underwater off the shoreline for yet hundreds of miles? Or do they drag 1 mile, weld two together, drop the first in the ocean and repeat. Mile long barrages to keep a "mile long piece" afloat fascinates me!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dude!  Ron! This may take more than 800 words ehh @SGHScottie? This is pretty fascinating for a CAT. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Thanks! In 800 words or less can you explain how these mile long lengths get welded together and then dragged underwater off the shoreline for yet hundreds of miles? Or do they drag 1 mile, weld two together, drop the first in the ocean and repeat. Mile long barrages to keep a "mile long piece" afloat fascinates me!
    http://www.rigzone.com/training/insight.asp?insight_id=311
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    I will give it a go my friend. Each stalk is made in 1 mile lengths. When ready to "spool" 3/4 of a mile will be rolled up on a massive reel. Then another 1 mile stalk will be welded to that stalk. This process is repeated over and over. Here is a pic of some subsea lines reeled up and ready to go. 

Ron, all the pics above were taken by me in real time. They are not internet photos. The second pic up of the pipe going in the water, at the time it was laid it set the all time deep water record in the Gulf of Mexico. Final PLET landing was 10,000 feet and 2 inches. That record has now been bested slightly by SHELL Cardamom subsea mainline. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    If you are ever down my way, I will give you a tour of the facility and spooling vessel. Seeing it in real life makes it make more sense. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Ron, the second pic up is pipe being spooled. Those lights way off in the distance (1 mile away) is the spool ship reeling it in. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    If you are ever down my way, I will give you a tour of the facility and spooling vessel. Seeing it in real life makes it make more sense. 
    Fascinating Scottie!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, the mainline that we are building now goes in the Gulf in August. I'm trying to get permission to shoot video of it actually laying on the bottom of the Gulf. If I get permission, I will post some videos here on the forum. Some of those ROV videos are awesome. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks, Scottie! That just fascinates me!
  • SGH
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks, Scottie! That just fascinates me!
    Ron, as many times as I have seen it, it still blows my mind that 26 miles of steel pipe can be rolled and unrolled like a water hose. Not to mention that they can hit a underwater target within 4 feet from 10,000 feet above. It's truly a spectacular feat my friend. This line will lay in 6,000+ feet of water. You can google it and read a good bit about it. Google "Thunder Horse". It's a joint venture between British Petroleum and Exxon/Mobil. The well it's self is the deepest underwater well ever drilled. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Just a few more pics. 

Ron, the next time that you are filling your vehicle with fuel, think about poor ole SGH who helped bring that fuel to market ;)

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Just a few more pics. 

Ron, the next time that you are filling your vehicle with fuel, think about poor ole SGH who helped bring that fuel to market ;)
    "With your money" from laying this pipe I say bull sh*t! Poor ole SGH my ass! 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Guess nothing is tight hole anymore...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    "With your money" from laying this pipe I say bull sh*t! Poor ole SGH my ass! 
    Good one brother!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    I was looking through my old pics and found this one. These are two of the strongest Anchor Handlers in the world. Each has a bollard thrust of almost 350 tons. The pic does not do them justice as it was taken from just over 1/4 mile away. What those two boats will pull is unbelievable. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    You do realize that if I had your money that it would be Horton/Mobil instead of Exxon/Mobil ;)

Status- Standing by.

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Amazing, it's phenomenal what the private sector can produce, especially if the gov't would let them the f*** alone.  That's cool stuff Scottie, better than lump. Except CA F****rs won't let RW in. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    Options
    logchief said:
    Except CA F****rs won't let RW in. 
    This^^^^^^ is liberalism at its finest. This is the kind of stupid **** that liberals do. If the world doesn't wake up and start voting in good, God fearing conservatives, it won't be long before we are forced to pay carbon taxes for farting. I have never understood how anyone with a job or a brain could vote for a liberal or dumbocrat. It just baffles me my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Let me share a fascinating tidbit I've learned from my job.  When appraising agricultural property, I've noticed that chicken crap is the worst smelling crap.  Pig crap is pretty bad, but chicken crap is king.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Let me share a fascinating tidbit I've learned from my job.  When appraising agricultural property, I've noticed that chicken crap is the worst smelling crap.  Pig crap is pretty bad, but chicken crap is king.  
    Fascinating 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Fascinating 
    And I ain't sh!tting you either!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree.  But you put some chicken crap in your garden and it'll be the best production ever.  Seriously.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Fascinating 
    And I ain't sh!tting you either!
    I wouldn't shît you man, you're my favorite turd!
  • RRP
    Options
    Then are you going to weigh in on my comment about picking fly sh*t out of pepper or are you too specialized in your chosen field?