Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue: Ozark Oak

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,899
Some of you know I have been trying to find out who took over Ozark Oak down there in Yellville, AR, but with no success. Today I finally just emailed the local Chamber of Commerce. Here in part was the reply:

Hi Ron,
I can help you out!  Royal Oak bought Ozark Oak.  They produce the same product.  You can contact them at 870-427-5688.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Have a nice day!

Yellville Area Chamber of Commerce
X X, Executive Director
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    :D Interesting....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I knew my RO was looking better.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I think a forum memeber was down there maybe a year ago and mentioned Royal Oak bought it and took some pictures of the facility. Nice a member of commerce assisted you with the question. 

Man I wish it was the same product....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi Ron,  I have been by there on some motorcycle trips and as recent this April.  lots of stacked wood.   
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    Did you ask about Ms. Paxton while you were at it?  =)
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - no I didn't but it appears some gal named Kristie A has the new roll in that "pass it around activity".  ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

Interesting.  

Ron, any chance you could find out what's going on at Area 51?

Sorry - they told me, but I had to swear to keep it to myself. Now, the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Holla!  

Too bad there isn't a Santa emoji. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:

Interesting.  

Ron, any chance you could find out what's going on at Area 51?

Sorry - they told me, but I had to swear to keep it to myself. Now, the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7.

I used to work with a guy on the ambulance that was stationed there while in the Air Force.  It was like pulling hen's teeth to get an info out of him about it.  He just said he worked for the base's fire dept. while they were working on the Stealth project.....never could get anything more than that unfortunately.  Of course then I thought, maybe that was truly all he did--stayed/locked in a remote building with a fire truck that never got used for a however many years.  He was at the coolest, most mysterious place in the country, yet never got to see a damn thing.  We'll never know!  :(  
  • RRP
    Options
    Holla!  

Too bad there isn't a Santa emoji. 
    Will this one sort of work?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Like I've been saying all along... RO is just as good as OO ever was. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Switching to RO.  I'll use my 200# of RW for clean burns.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I just guessing that's your arse talking right there.  Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I just guessing that's your arse talking right there.  Lol
    Jest Matt, jest ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I hear RW won't crack your egg either. It's magical.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I hear RW won't crack your egg either. It's magical.
    Never even puts out any white, acrid smoke.  Magical indeed.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I think a forum memeber was down there maybe a year ago and mentioned Royal Oak bought it and took some pictures of the facility. Nice a member of commerce assisted you with the question. 

Man I wish it was the same product....
    I also remember someone here many months back mentioning that RO bought that facility. 

Guess it is now confirmed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so, but RO now has 10 or 12 charcoal plants just in the Ozark area. So thinking that someone can pinpoint product coming from the Yellville facility is a needle in the haystack. Besides I'll bet once packaged all their plants probably ship to warehouse facilities for distribution all over the US. Kid all you want guys, but I believe Rockwood has a better reputation for consistent product than co-mingled charcoal from all over the country like RO. I even recall the days RO used foreign woods which sparked, smoked and stunk! 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I've been think RO has been a little better as well. Still no where near rockwood or OO though. But better than the crap it was a few years ago. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    Dang-It all burns-sometimes RO (or the produced private brands) requires a bit more finesse to start the cook but you can make it all work.  But one disclaimer-  cowboy for me or any heavy mesquite lump.  Just an opinion and we all know.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Never have any trouble lighting RO with the paper towel/oil method. Does spark with Mapp torch .
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You guys want premium lump, switch to Cowboy!  You'll thank me. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Broke Back Mountain fan eh Matt?  Never woulda thunk it :o
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    You'd be better off burning pine cones...
  • RRP
    Options
    sctdg said:
    Never have any trouble lighting RO with the paper towel/oil method. Does spark with Mapp torch .
    My sparking comment was about the RO lump made with woods from South America. Not sure if they still do or not, but it used to be they disclosed the country of origin on the package. After giving away 2 bags of that I have never knowingly purchased any more foreign wood lump. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Can any one find codes showing which plant bagged it?  For quality control they should have some.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Same plant doesn't mean same wood, same process and same quality control, right?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Legume said:
    Same plant doesn't mean same wood, same process and same quality control, right?
    You are probably right.  To bad.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    Can any one find codes showing which plant bagged it?  For quality control they should have some.
    Not a bad question but considering how big of a company RO is just remember they package for many private labels as well. Tracking and then acquiring those coded bags may be difficult. Picking fly sh*t out of pepper might be an easier challenge!   =)