Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have a funny/disastrous grilling story? Tell it

Options
Surely more than me have royally screwed up with their grills.
Wife was gone and I got in late and tired from farm work one night, a little before 11.  Fired up my M and pattied out a big burger (at least a half pound ), de-silked an ear of sweet corn, smeared it with butter, closed the shucks back and wrapped it in AF. Opened a can of Bush's Baked Beans and put it all on the grill.  A little after 11 by now.
   So I sat down in a chair right there by the grill knowing this wouldn't take very long.  And I woke up about 1:30.  Aww sh|t!!!!!   Opened the egg and the charcoal was almost all burned up.  The burger resembled a hockey puck.  In both appearance and consistency.  Tried to remove it and it began to shatter it was so hard.  Checked the can of beans.  Can was half full.  No moisture remained.  Looked like little black eyed peas in there.  Maybe the corn survived so I grabbed the foil wrapped ear of corn.  Lite as a feather.  Guess every molecule of water had steamed out of it.  Truly pathetic looking.  
   Nothing left to do but throw in a little more lump and light it.  Grabbed a couple of hot dogs and threw them on.  Stood up while they cooked.  Got to eat a little after 2.  Then get a shower and hit the sack.
  Still don't know how I managed to not fall out of the chair.  No arm rests, just a hard, straight metal chair with a back and a bottom. Lesson learned, don't go to sleep at the grill, especially when you're alone.     

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• FlashkaBob
    Options

WHAT A DISASTER !! First attempt at pizza. HELP ! (please)

O.K. Here's the story. Got a pizza stone by Grill Pro for Xmas. Thought I would make a pizza for supper tonight. Made the dough, let it rise, kneaded for another minute and to gauge the size, formed it into a pizza pan that just happened to be the same size as the stone. Transferred the dough back to the stone. I applied the sauce, then a layer of mozzarella cheese followed by some pepperoni and Thuringer sausage, green peppers, onions, pineapple and topped with a second layer of mozzarella. It looked great. Then I read the directions on the back of the box the stone came in. "Preheat the stone on your grill or in your oven." How am I gonna do that with a pizza sitting on it? FINE! I'll move the whole thing back to the pan I started with. That was the second mistake. Moist pizza on a rock. Doesn't slide off real easy. A couple of spatula's and finally the peel later, I get the pizza transferred back to the pan. Now it looks a little worse for wear, but not the end of the world. BGE was warming up outside. take the stone out and placed it on the platesetter. The stone came with a SS rack that I left on to provide an air space underneath. Temp. was still climbing on its way to 650. Time to put the pizza on. Spatula in hand, and pizza in the other, I open the egg and position myself to slide it off the pan and onto the stone. Raw pizza doesn't slide off of a teflon pan any easier than off a stone. Cheese slide off pretty good though (along with sauce and some of the meat. Dough is now folding up. Grill is getting colder / fire is getting hotter. Getting frustrated. Scrape all the crap into a pile on the stone. After about 10 minutes, I decide to check the crust to see if its done. You know that high temperature adhesive that holds the gasket in place? I think I just invented an even better product. Chipping away with the spatula, the whole thing almost ended up in the fire. Finally got it separated from the stone and called SWMBO in to eat. She tried to be supportive by saying it still tastes good, but I could tell she was laughing her ass off. Can some one please tell me how to do this properly?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    I read the entire "eating when far away from home" thread.  Huge disaster.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

WHAT A DISASTER !! First attempt at pizza. HELP ! (please)

O.K. Here's the story. Got a pizza stone by Grill Pro for Xmas. Thought I would make a pizza for supper tonight. Made the dough, let it rise, kneaded for another minute and to gauge the size, formed it into a pizza pan that just happened to be the same size as the stone. Transferred the dough back to the stone. I applied the sauce, then a layer of mozzarella cheese followed by some pepperoni and Thuringer sausage, green peppers, onions, pineapple and topped with a second layer of mozzarella. It looked great. Then I read the directions on the back of the box the stone came in. "Preheat the stone on your grill or in your oven." How am I gonna do that with a pizza sitting on it? FINE! I'll move the whole thing back to the pan I started with. That was the second mistake. Moist pizza on a rock. Doesn't slide off real easy. A couple of spatula's and finally the peel later, I get the nowza transferred back to the pan. Now it looks a little worse for wear, but not the end of the world. BGE was warming up outside. take the stone out and placed it on the platesetter. The stone came with a SS rack that I left on to provide an air space underneath. Temp. was still climbing on its way to 650. Time to put the pizza on. Spatula in hand, and pizza in the other, I open the egg and position myself to slide it off the pan and onto the stone. Raw pizza doesn't slide off of a teflon pan any easier than off a stone. Cheese slide off pretty good though (along with sauce and some of the meat. Dough is now folding up. Grill is getting colder / fire is getting hotter. Getting frustrated. Scrape all the crap into a pile on the stone. After about 10 minutes, I decide to check the crust to see if its done. You know that high temperature adhesive that holds the gasket in place? I think I just invented an even better product. Chipping away with the spatula, the whole thing almost ended up in the fire. Finally got it separated from the stone and called SWMBO in to eat. She tried to be supportive by saying it still tastes good, but I could tell she was laughing her ass off. Can some one please tell me how to do this properly?

I take it you use parchment paper or corn meal now?  We did that same thing in a pizza class, but made it into a strombolie and moved it on to parchment paper.  Have you done pizza again?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Ladeback69  That was originally posted in 2013. Since then I have become a pizza guru. I enjoy my pizzas better than any pizza joints now. That was part of the learning curve of the Newbee. :rofl: 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• toogoodootgr
    Options
    When I was in college I was living on a pretty limited income. My roommate and I bought some nice t-bones to cook one night. While I was in class my roommate decided to "marinate" the steaks. He decided he would use some Jack Daniels and other herbs and spices. I got home from class and he was excited about this concoction he had made for the steaks. I was a little skeptical, but i figure it would be ok. Needless to say, you couldn't even keep the steaks on the grill. There was so much alcohol in the steaks that the grill just flamed. We tried to eat them, but they tasted like a shot of whiskey. The dog wouldn't even eat the dang things. We are still great friends and I bring this story up as often as possible. You should have seen the flames coming out of the grill. He basically soaked the steaks in a gallon Ziploc bag with salt pepper and jack daniels. 
    Irmo, SC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Egged a partially frozen turkey for Thanksgiving and left the giblet pack in the neck.  Cut into it while carving.  Still get sh!t from the fam for that one.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options

Prime Brisket Cook- Hooked up Stoker  Fan, Failed to put the probes in, fired it up and passed out--no idea how hot the Egg got

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190706/tequilla-prime-brisket-sorry-no-pictures#latest

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Before I got my egg I had a gasser on the porch. Finished grilling one night after a beer filled afternoon and cranked up all four burners to "clean" the grates. Promptly ate supper and passed out. Woke up the next morning to see the knobs still on high, propane bottle empty, and half the siding on one wall of the back porch melted off. Lucky I didnt burn down the damn house. I basically have quit drinking at home since. 

At the camp, I roll my egg out away from everything snd all bets are off.  :)

Little Rock, AR

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    A few years ago the Mrs. asked for egged pizza for her birthday dinner.  Pie came off the egg looking great, until I tried to remove my "crutch".  That was when I learned the difference between parchment and wax paper, which are NOT interchangeable for this purpose . . .  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Before I got my egg I had a gasser on the porch. Finished grilling one night after a beer filled afternoon and cranked up all four burners to "clean" the grates. Promptly ate supper and passed out. Woke up the next morning to see the knobs still on high, propane bottle empty, and half the siding on one wall of the back porch melted off. Lucky I didnt burn down the damn house. I basically have quit drinking at home since. 

At the camp, I roll my egg out away from everything snd all bets are off.  :)
    Damn that was close... I am not sure I would have been as extreme to give up drinking at home.. Maybe just move the gasser out a little.. =)  Funny story..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Had a friend invite me over for steaks one night to say thank you for helping him move. He decided to put cinnamon on them for some reason, and needless to say it didn't turn out very well. I told him that in the future a six pack or a pizza would be just fine. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I read the entire "eating when far away from home" thread.  Huge disaster.
    How did it get to train wreck status? I read it and can't believe its where its at from where it started. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had some really bad smoke once when I first started egging.  Threw out the food.  Overcooked some NY strips.  They were medium.  Burned the hair off my arms a dozen times.  Was grilling oysters when a shell exploded, had to wear an eye patch for 6 months, got involved with pirates, things turned south when they decided to pillage Ship Island, long story short, something about a midget and a drum of sour mead, good thing that flintlock was broken.
    Options
    A few minutes after self-induced reveille on a Sunday morning, I realized I had eaten some ABT's Sat night.  No recall of the cook or consumption (but it was adult beverage supervised for sure) until that burning moment.  No left-overs, musta eaten a dozen or so. BTW-did shut down the BGE after the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    roasted chestnuts once,  didnt know to cut x's in them. threw the whole bag in. heard a pop, opened the egg as they started exploding steamy hot muck all over the house =) it sounded like gun fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Did a cedar plank salmon for guests.  The fish was beautiful as it came off the egg, but when I opened the door to the house the plank slid off the cutting board I was using to carry it and the plank and fish hit the floor.  The filet no longer looked like a filet - the guests were good natured and we ended up serving cedar plank salmon hash.  Still tasted good, and I invoked the 5 second rule.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• fishlessman
    Options
    heres my origional post from 2003 =)

fishlessman Posts: 18,530
    December 2003 edited 2:02PM in EggHead Forum
    roasted some chestnuts on the egg this weekend but did not stab holes in them before cooking. 20 minutes at 320 heard one split ,opened egg to exploding nuts. ten feet up the side of my house, covered the deck with lots of nut.a great fireworks display, wear apropriate clothing

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    heres my origional post from 2003 =)

fishlessman Posts: 18,530
    December 2003 edited 2:02PM in EggHead Forum
    roasted some chestnuts on the egg this weekend but did not stab holes in them before cooking. 20 minutes at 320 heard one split ,opened egg to exploding nuts. ten feet up the side of my house, covered the deck with lots of nut.a great fireworks display, wear apropriate clothing

Usually people enjoy when their nuts explode.   That's NUCKING FUTS!!! ;)
    what happens at fishless' love hut, stays at fishless' love hut.

(no single guys, bring a casserole, and the password is "prosciutto")
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    what happens at fishless' love hut, stays at fishless' love hut.

(no single guys, bring a casserole, and the password is "prosciutto")

I think he changed it recently. It's now "moldy prosciutto."
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
     LMAO, @YukonRon!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    At work we were having a class for our clients teaching them how to use our products at a training center/lab in Michigan. It was decided we would grill out some chicken, sausages and corn.
    I was in charge of the grill, and I really meant to start it, to get it going about an hour before the cook. We always had bags of charcoal in the facility for this purpose. Well, I was running late in getting the grill started, and when I went to the storage area, there was only a 1/4 bag of charcoal left. I had to go to the store and get more.
    I was already behind, and I busted out of the lab, jumped in my car and tried my best to get charcoal and back to the lab as quickly as I could. It took me an hour.
    So much for trying to hurry.
    I got back, the people had already broke for lunch,  and were standing around, waiting for something to happen. I went straight to the grill, dumped an entire bag of charcoal into the cooker, then started looking for lighter fluid.
    Found the bottle. Zero Fluid. 
    Well being a chemist, I started looking at chemicals I could mix together, which had a high oxidation, low flash threshold. I mixed some stuff together, and came up with a concoction I was sure to get the coals hot in a hurry. It did.
    I sprinkled the coals with my beaker full of volatile material, while everybody started gathering around, tossed in a match, and, well, the ensuing fireball was very impressive. People 20 feet away said they felt the heat from the blast.
    Scared the buhgeezus out of everyone. The fire was shooting about four feet high, I am guessing, because it was hard to tell with my hair singed and smoking, and the resulting minor, first degree burns on my face and arms, trying to get up off the ground, and run. The fire burned almost white hot, roaring for less than 5 minutes, then vanished completely. Immediately afterwards, I took a look inside the grill, at the coals, there were none. They had gone to ash.
    About that time the local fire department arrived because someone at a neighboring business saw the initial fireball, and as a concerned citizen should do, called for rescue. The EMTs were some of the most outstanding people I have ever met. I assured them I knew what I was doing, and I heard them say, "umhmm" as they were dabbing ointment on my minor burns.
    After a visit to the first aid kit, and the nice folks of the EMTs, I went back used some other chemicals, under the watchful eye of the fire department, on the second bag of charcoal, and lunch was served only two hours later than we had planned.
    Some Smart Ass labeled my office as "Burn Unit 1." 
    try some zirconium filings some day, put it in a bucket and cover with a couple gallons water, get a really long match =) my high bay is 30 foot, it almost caught the roof on fire and completely sent me flying ;)
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @fishlessman  I am good, thank you though for the suggestion. I have to be prepared and not rush. After all, I do have the BGE. That is why I do sooooooo many low and slows these days.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @SmokingPiney   Some scars never heal, If you know what I mean.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @fishlessman  I am good, thank you though for the suggestion. I have to be prepared and not rush. After all, I do have the BGE. That is why I do sooooooo many low and slows these days.
    egg lighting 101

100_0804jpg

fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    Options
    @fishlessman  I had no idea you were there......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @YukonRon, Hilarious!!  You know all us chemists are pyros! =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @YukonRon, Hilarious!!  You know all us chemists are pyros! =)
    whenever I grill, from that day until now, people ask me to define the potential blast zone.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky