Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My trailer smoker has started being built!

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    It went great. I really appreciate the help from @SGH you are awesome brother. Thank you.  

I see you brought out the big guns. Smart move. Great looking cook and that rig is SWEET. 
    I'm a manager. My only real skill is finding the people who actually know what they are doing and letting them do it!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Way to go bro. Everything looks spectacular!  Didn't notice in the first couple pics but love the little pigs on top. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Did someone really hit your rig with their car?  The cook looks like money, but dang, with your luck I would stay out of thunderstorms.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2016
    Did someone really hit your rig with their car?  
    They sure did. I was leaned up on the warmer when it got hit.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    SGH said:
    Did someone really hit your rig with their car?  
    They sure did. I was leaned up on the warmer when it got hit.  
    Glad you didn't get pinned.  I will say, as awesome as that rig looks and performs it will be full of even better stories!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

How does someone hit a large, YELLOW, stationary object with people hanging around it???

Good grief. I would have been in tears after the rollercoaster of emotions  @Thatgrimguy has endured.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    caliking said:

How does someone hit a large, YELLOW, stationary object with people hanging around it???

Alcohol. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    It's already got more war wounds than most cars!!  It left a gash in her car. Didn't leave a mark on the Grocery Cart.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SGH said:
    caliking said:

Alcohol. 

Of course. I should have known.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Omg- I just saw what happened to your rig. Holy sh!t. So lucky. Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    It's already got more war wounds than most cars!!  It left a gash in her car. Didn't leave a mark on the Grocery Cart.
    Well I for one am glad the Grocery Cart fought back and took a chunk out of her car. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Grim, over time names and or nicknames evolve with experiences. I can see one in the making for your cooker. Keep rocking it and be safe.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done Brother Grimm. Ands congrats on the maiden voyage.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Congratulations, Thank you for sharing the journey !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    I was so tired after yesterday! But, somehow managed to get up and buy another locking pin and start a rack  of spare ribs! 

This locking pin has a nut to hold it in place as well as the lock. I think I'll switch both to this style.

A rack of ribs in the vertical and a couple chickens in the brine. Going to be a great dinner.

• Nice setup and I really like that new locking pin! That should keep you safe.

• Thatgrimguy
    @legume You don't think that pin will work. I noticed your disagree on PinballLooking's post.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Oops, just a fat thumb mistake.  Pin looks fine - I use a locking one too.  Carry on.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That locking pin on the left offers virtually no security. You can pop it off in about two seconds with a long pry bar. I had one like that on my truck and I lost the key. A buddy took a pry bar to it and it was off in a snap. The ones with a beveled edge on the cylinder work better 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Legume said:
    Oops, just a fat thumb mistake.  Pin looks fine - I use a locking one too.  Carry on.

Right on. I kind of figured that. But after my disaster I want any input possible on failure points!
  • Thatgrimguy
  • SGH
    Grim, check this clown out. This is about 4 miles from your house. 

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    SGH said:
    Bet that "clown" has a family that cares about them too... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    ... after my disaster I want any input possible on failure points!
    From your post-drop pictures, it looked like the inner tube (for the hitch) went into the outer tube (welded to the trailer) quite a ways.  If so, you could cross drill both tubes down under the deck.  Anyone trying to steal the smoker will be concentrating on the two visible locks.  It'd be a pain to crawl under and engage, but could be an inexpensive addition when it's parked in the hotel parking lot.  Kind of like using duct tape after the suspenders and belt are in place.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH said:
    I'm sure that he does. This accident has already been on our evening news. The driver was 3 times over legal limit for alcohol. With that said, and in my humble opinion, the clown obviously didn't care about innocent people out on the highway. Nor his family. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @SGH ... oh ... I thought it was the vehicle that backed into Grim's smoker.  And, you were just evening the score!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    I'm sure that he does. This accident has already been on our evening news. The driver was 3 times over legal limit for alcohol. With that said, and in my humble opinion, the clown obviously didn't care about innocent people out on the highway. Nor his family. 
    So what if he's got some problems,  don't we all? I understand your point to an extent,  but I bet his family still cares. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    @SGH ... oh ... I thought it was the vehicle that backed into Grim's smoker.  And, you were just evening the score!
    No sir. But this wreck really was right down from Grims house. 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You're off the rails Matt.  He called him a clown, that was it.
  • SGH
    So what if he's got some problems,  don't we all? I understand your point to an extent,  but I bet his family still cares. 
    Brother Tar, no doubt he has family that cares for him. I don't dispute that fact at all. But heavy drinkers usually put themselves and their alcohol first. Just like the person that ran into Grims smoker. Take the alcohol out of the equation and it would not have happened. I myself like to drink. That's no secret. However I never drink and drive. Never. When I was much younger I had a encounter that changed my thoughts on drinking and driving forever. I will keep the story as short as possible.
    In 1990 myself and another deep water diver (who wishes to remain anonymous) jumped 65 foot off of a bridge to save a woman and her child that had been hit head on by a drunk driver and their car went over the railing into the water 65 feet below. When I surfaced with the 4 year old girl in my arms, she was already dead. Her neck was broken and her lungs puncture. She was dead on impact. We unknowingly made the jump in vain. I can still see her face crystal clear to this day. As it usually goes, the drunk walked away without even a scratch. I don't mean this in a rude or dis respective way, but you will just have to forgive me for having no sympathy for those who drink and a drive. The above story is absolutely and sadly true. It's not some of made up gesting and joking. This is one time that I wish that I was joking my friend. It still haunts me to this day. 

Status- Standing by.