Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite lump for the price?

Options

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    After this I will try RO from Home Depot.. Very cheap.. And if it's remotely comparable to what I've been using.. I'll stick with it.. Simply because of price
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Late to the party, Rockwood and you get what you pay for. RO second around N GA.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I just got a 35 pound bag of Fogo for $50... @Cookinbob
    I watch the price on Amazon.  That is about 2X the per pound price I pay for RO.  I don't want to try it that bad =)  There was a time you could buy it for under $30.  Amazon is definitely finding and charging what the market will bear.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Yeah lol.. I'll give RO a try after this.. Been using only BGE so far @Cookinbob
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I have tried Rockwood and it is very good. 
    That said, when HD is selling RO at  $12 for a 17 lb bag that is my go-to.  
    HD usually has a sale each summer where RO is only $9 for the big bag. That is when you buy all you can carry. But even at the normal price it is a good deal and I don't find much fault with it and RO is what I use 90% of the time.

I've tried other brands that are twice the price and just didn't think they were worth the price differential.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I order a couple hundred pounds of Rockwood a year to use when I really want to keep a neutral smoke flavor or add smoking wood that will impart the exact flavor that I want. I would guess I go through triple that in Royal Oak. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Glad to see others use Royal Oak. It seems that no one makes the claim that RO is the best; just the best value.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I kind of like the "oakyness" of RO, even when baking.  If neutral was a flavor profile I was shooting for, then I would've kept the gasser.  Not impressed at all with RW, but many are.  Opinions are like a-holes, thought I'd throw mine out there since I'm the biggest one here. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Glad to see others use Royal Oak. It seems that no one makes the claim that RO is the best; just the best value.
    As has already been stated - determining the "best lump" is purely subjective.

You can no more declare "Brand X" is the "best" lump than you can declare that blue is the "best" color.

I'm in agreement with Focker, RO gives me a "cooked over wood" flavor which is at least partly why I don't always just use my gas grill or electric oven.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Here are my humble opinions:

1.  Even though BGE and RO are supposedly the same thing.... BGE charcoal has been (by far) our least favorite charcoal we have used.  Each time we use it, we find it far too smokey and the foods suffer unless you are purposely doing an actual smoke (pork butt, etc.).  I was surprised by this.  It is easily identifiable when I use it.

2. Royal Oak is great value, consistent performer and medium smoke.

3. Rockwood is $$, but by far my favorite for things like Pizza and poultry where you don't want an overly smokey flavor. mild smoke.

4. I find Wicked Good to be a solid performer (again $$ though) and its smokiness between RO and RW, but closer to the RW side of the spectrum, so mild/mild-medium.

Just my own observations on the 4 brands I have thoroughly used.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Focker ... the use of a neutral lump is not to escape the smoke flavor, but to control it.  Control both the flavor and amount of the smoke.

Love chicken cooked with orange as the smoke wood.  Pork just seems to cry out for pecan.  Beef, well yes, oak does seem to be a better choice there.  Although, the Texas folks would say it needs to be post oak not our northern oak species.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I've written a few times that there is no such thing as "best lump". I agree that there is differences in lump charcoal, but that's not what I'm really saying. What I mean is that you will get better cooks from using the same charcoal consistently, and learning how it behaves in your oven. Find something that you have consistent easy access to and get used to it. Then it won't matter that there is some razzle-dazzle lump that you can get over the internet and have shipped, that leaves almost no ash but it burns so slow and hot that your cook isn't as good as it was when you knew what was going to happen. It was better lump, but you have worse food.

Consistency and predictability makes the meal. If you have easy access to the Fogo you ordered, then use it. Always. You'll know exactly what to expect from it.
  • Mikee
    Options
    Too many people get their feelings hurt when others are pleased with their $12 bag of Royal Oak. Get over it. You're not going to change their opinion when they tried Rockwood at twice the price and did not see a big advantage; or any advantage. As mentioned above; you want a neutral flavor get a Weber gasser. You want a charcoal  flavor use lump.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Pretty ridiculous this thread has gone on.  With the exception of the lesser liked lumps eg.  Cowboy, they all really work.  Including Cowboy. One might be a little more smokey, or slower to light...  Try a couple and egg on. My personal favorite is Rockwood.  Just me brother.  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    The concept of "lesser lumps" is pretty ridiculous too

cowboy lights fast, has mild smoke. Is cheap, and comes in medium sized chunks

i'm sure someday i'll become as enlightened as those that feel comfortable pronouncing their preference for lump as THE preference for lump. But it aint today

in ten plus years here, i have heard every lump be maligned as the worst and alternately lauded as the best. Except one. Maple leaf

other than that, someone has already beaten you to it saying it was crap, and there is another guy saying it's the best

just light the stuff and quit overthinking
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    That's why I said including Cowboy.  You missed that cuz we're in agreement.  Thanks.
  • Mikee
    Options

As I stated, very few say Royal Oak is the best. The post was" Favorite lump for the price?". Royal Oak is good lump. Inexpensive and easy to get. Rockwood is just as good as Royal Oak but cost twice as much, needs to be ordered in larger quantities via the internet to get the price down; and can be on back order. There are dozens and dozens of lump brands. An Egger needs to find a brand that suits their needs. Spending twice the amount does not yield twice the better lump. I went ahead and spent $24 for a bag of Rockwood. As I walked up to the counter the cashier already had the Vaseline out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Mikee, RO is good. Try RW and see what you think.  No Vaseline, taste preference.
  • Mikee
    Options
    If RW is Rockwood, I done that. She greased up my butt. Had she been 30 years younger I may have liked it. I'm not saying Rockwood is bad. I thought it was good. Just not worth the price.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mikee said:
    She greased up my butt. 
    This would have started a fist fight. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Exactly what I said.  Rockwood is excellent lump, unless you believe otherwise.  I only have 10 bags in the garage.  Gonna order more.  Get what you pay for.
  • Mikee
    Options
    SGH said:
    Mikee said:
    She greased up my butt. 
    This would have started a fist fight. 

I guess that depends on what she looked liked and if you like lube!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Fist fight!!
  • Mikee
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Exactly what I said.  Rockwood is excellent lump, unless you believe otherwise.  I only have 10 bags in the garage.  Gonna order more.  Get what you pay for.

Just like I said; get over it. I don't care if you have 10 bags or a 100 bags.

I tried a bag of Rockwood. Way, way over priced!!!!! You can live in your dream world and pay 2x for Rockwood but you'll never convince me its 2x as good.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    I have used royal oak, nature glo, rockwood, and KBB.

Personally I prefer Rockwood.  It maybe a bit pricier, but when considering my total investment, and the price of protein its a small price to pay.  I get Rockwood for roughly $1/lb.  My xl burns .4lbs per hour.  So for a brisket at 18hrs it costs me about $7.

Royal oak would save me $3.50 for a $70 brisket.  Heck, my beer during a cook costs more than that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Well then, thank you so much for your kind, well meaning self important ignorant opinion. @Mikee.  Google search "opinion".  Then let me know why yours carries more import.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Oh, @Mikee, someone else experienced, agrees.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Mikee, you "tried a bag" and count that as a meaningful scientific experiment?  As a scientist, I like my "dreamworld".