Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody not know what's going on in Paris?

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

EVEN IF WE DON'T KILL THEM ALL AND SOME ARE LEFT, WE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE KILLED JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IN THEIR FAMILY SO THERE IS NO WAY THEY WILL EVER MESS WITH AMERICA AGAIN BECAUSE THEY WILL LEARN THERE LESSON.   AND THEN, NO MORE TERRORISTS! !  THEY WILL CEASE AND DESIST TERROR TO AMERICANS!!  I'M NOT SURE USING TO MANY NUKES IS A GOOD THING LIKE SOME OF YOU RIGHTLY SAID THO.  RADIOACTIVE WIND MIGHT BLOW BACK TO AMERICA SO WE SHOULD NOT USE TO MANY OF THOSE

that is a statement
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's hard to candidates to answer National Security related questions due to the fact that one is not privileged to all of the intelligence until one gets into office.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @YukonRon no problem, I don't mind 'splaining myself either way.  One thing is abundantly clear, everyone hurts in some way from terrorism - directly or indirectly.  I support taking action - but I don't know what or how.  I support not living in fear because of these things, but that's hard to do and will get harder when something again happens on our soil.

@doublegger said it better than I, you can't expect candidates to comment well on nat'l security issues where they don't all have equal access to info and advice and if they do - they're not going to tell you and I what they will do.

More of a political rant I guess, but Presidents may make decisions on their own, but they do not make plans on their own.  Expecting candidates to have fully formed 32-point plans for anything strikes me as silly.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It's hard to candidates to answer National Security related questions due to the fact that one is not privileged to all of the intelligence until one gets into office.

Tell that to Ben Carson.  Up until yesterday, he was claiming he had access to Intel that even the White House didn't, to support his claim that the Chinese are in Syria (they aren't).

Candidates don't have access to a lot of the Intel, but we should still expect them to be able to answer questions about national security.  They ought to be able to articulate the need for new policy and goals, for example, even if it needs to be more broad than specific.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SGH said:
    I don't know what's going on in Paris at the moment, but in the sports world Rhonda Rousey just got busted up, bloodied up and knocked cold out in the second round. 
    @SGH ... can you imagine the money that will trade hands for the next match up?   

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    Options

Tell that to Ben Carson.  Up until yesterday, he was claiming he had access to Intel that even the White House didn't, to support his claim that the Chinese are in Syria (they aren't).

Candidates don't have access to a lot of the Intel, but we should still expect them to be able to answer questions about national security.  They ought to be able to articulate the need for new policy and goals, for example, even if it needs to be more broad than specific.

I didn't say they shouldn't answer questions, I simply stated that it's hard to answer those questions effectively considering the lack of highly classified information provided to those who are not in office. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ISIL claimed responsibility and a Syrian passport was found on one of the attackers.  Sounds like "refugees" to me. 
    You are aware that Syrian people who are not refugees exist in Western nations, right?
    Of course but give me a break. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... It's probably a duck. 
    It turned out to be a duck after all. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

I have absolutely NO IDEA about Chinese in Syria, but am astounded once again at your level of certainty and knowledge of the subject. Very similar to other issues, you must omnipotent. Thanks for clearing that issue up for us. That guy, what an arrogant idiot to think he knows. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @pgprescott He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night... 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    Forget candidates and national security issues-just reread this thread.  And some candidate likely will and then reference a highly placed unnamed source.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited November 2015
    Options

I have absolutely NO IDEA about Chinese in Syria, but am astounded once again at your level of certainty and knowledge of the subject. Very similar to other issues, you must omnipotent. Thanks for clearing that issue up for us. That guy, what an arrogant idiot to think he knows. 
    LOL - it's not my knowledge, but rather everyone else's.  All you have to do is read the news.  Carson was essentially the only person, on the right or left, claiming that the Chinese were in Syria.  Moreover, there were several intelligence people, including Michael Hayden, who refuted the claims.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    I would offer that if the Chinese were in Syria then it would be all over the MSM.  Granted they did send a group of Navy ships to the Med a few months ago to play with the Russians but that's the extent of their interest at least for the public consumption.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One good thing. After you kill one, you can have an impromptu picnic. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    ... I support not living in fear because of these things, but that's hard to do and will get harder when something again happens on our soil...
    Whenever these sad events happen one thing immediately becomes crystal clear - most people suck at statistics and risk analysis.

Since the tragic events of 9/11 about a 100-200 or so deaths in the US can be directly or tenuously attributed to "terrorism".

In the same period of time about 500,000 of our fellow citizens have died in car crashes. Over 150,000 have been killed due to random gun violence.

Yet we just pretty much shrug our shoulders and say "eh... nothing you can really do about that". We essentially view those deaths as acceptable losses.

There are far more accidental/untimely causes of death that are likely to be experienced than "death by terrorist". Bee stings is one of those. Being hit by lightning is another.

I'm not suggesting, of course, that terrorist attacks should also just be viewed as acceptable losses. Far from it.

It would be more useful though to have something more than the usual jingoistic, xenophobic "Kill em all, let God sort them out" sort of reaction. Perhaps a little more analysis and examination of the reasons terrorist groups want to harm us would be helpful. One thing we should not have to spend too much time analyzing tho because history over the last few thousand years makes it pretty clear - colonialism and empire has a cost in blood and treasure as they say. "Blowback's a b$tch" is also another way to say it.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    There is a real difference between getting struck by a bus and getting shot by a Terrorist. Ones dumb luck and the other by nature causes fear. Plus if we weren't separated by two oceans from where all these Muslims come from those numbers would be a lot higher.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    So you're saying that we're safe, we're ok and &#% the other countries? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    One good thing. After you kill one, you can have an impromptu picnic. 

Agreed @henapple  , so let's have 100,000 picnics.  

You know what irritates me...  You rarely hear mainstream Muslims denounce the terrorists.   If there was a crazy Christian group killing folks, you'd have Christians tripping over themselves, denouncing them.

Because Muslims have not denounced all these terrorist acts, I am now skeptical of them.
    Phoenix 
  • Davec433
    Options
    henapple said:
    Not at all I personally think we should put all these "refugees" on a ship and sink it in the middle of the ocean but that's just me.
  • blasting
    Options
    As Trump pointed out - why are these refugees made up mostly of younger men.  Where are the appropriate levels of women and children.

I wonder what percentage of these refugees are terrorists?  How many are we going to let into our country?  The left wants to let them in.  I wonder how ideas will change when the first of these refugees launches attacks on America from within.
    Phoenix 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    henapple said:
    One good thing [insert genocidal-comment-as-humor here] . . .

. . . You rarely hear mainstream Muslims denounce the terrorists.   If there was a crazy Christian group killing folks, you'd have Christians tripping over themselves, denouncing them.

Because Muslims have not denounced all these terrorist acts, I am now skeptical of them.

Well, damn.  Man's got a point.

Outspoken Muslim moderates who condemn this evil are either few in number or being ignored by most media.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• HeavyG
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    henapple said:
    Not at all I personally think we should put all these "refugees" on a ship and sink it in the middle of the ocean but that's just me.
    How very Christian of you.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options

henapple said:
    Not only do most people suck at statistics and risk analysis but also reading comprehension.

No, I'm not saying "frack other countries". I'm just not as familiar with all the stats pertaining to death due to unnatural causes in all the nearly 200 countries on the planet.

My guess is tho that even your average Frenchman is far more likely to suffer an untimely death from many things not called terrorism.

• HeavyG
    Options

Davec433 said:
    There is a real difference between getting struck by a bus and getting shot by a Terrorist. Ones dumb luck and the other by nature causes fear. Plus if we weren't separated by two oceans from where all these Muslims come from those numbers would be a lot higher.
    If you say so. Dead is dead.

It seems to me that a half million deaths due to car crashes in the past decade and a half is something other than just "dumb luck". It seems to me that it indicates a systemic failure that we could ameliorate. But we don't cuz since they're just "dumb luck" then (shrug)"eh...waddya gonna do"(shrug).

• blasting
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Davec433 said:
    If you say so. Dead is dead.

It seems to me that a half million deaths due to car crashes in the past decade and a half is something other than just "dumb luck". It seems to me that it indicates a systemic failure that we could ameliorate. But we don't cuz since they're just "dumb luck" then (shrug)"eh...waddya gonna do"(shrug).

I suppose the way to drive the point home is to take it personal.  

If I had a family member killed in a car wreck that would be horrible.  If I had a family member killed by a Muslim suicide bomber because they hated our country... well, surely you can see the difference.   

You are correct, dead is dead.  They are gone forever, but the situations are nowhere near the same.  You cannot equate an accident with senseless murder.

Phoenix 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    blasting said:
    henapple said:
    One good thing [insert genocidal-comment-as-humor here] . . .

. . . You rarely hear mainstream Muslims denounce the terrorists.   If there was a crazy Christian group killing folks, you'd have Christians tripping over themselves, denouncing them.

Well, damn.  Man's got a point.

Outspoken Muslim moderates who condemn this evil are either few in number or being ignored by most media.

Maybe it's because they are afraid of the terrorists themselves. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blasting said:

You know what irritates me...  You rarely hear mainstream Muslims denounce the terrorists.
    http://bridge.georgetown.edu/here-are-the-many-muslim-condemnations-of-isis-youve-been-looking-for/
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

You know what irritates me...  You rarely hear mainstream Muslims denounce the terrorists.
    http://bridge.georgetown.edu/here-are-the-many-muslim-condemnations-of-isis-youve-been-looking-for/

Good post John.  I have seen a lot of Muslim leaders on the news who start out by saying theirs is a religion of peace, but it seems they stop short of aggressively denouncing the terrorists.  It seems they like that wiggle room in the middle.  Not all - I realize I'm generalizing.

I'm not against Muslims, or immigration, but I believe we need to be cautious.  Once American toddlers bodies are being sorted and stacked it's too late.
    Phoenix 
  • Davec433
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Davec433 said:
    henapple said:
    How very Christian of you.
    Christians aren't the ones rampaging across the Middle East burning people alive, drowning them, raping women, crucifying Christisns, blowing them up and taking slaves. You don't reason with these people you deal with them like a rabid dog. But the majority are moderate right? Where were the moderate majority when the Nazis were putting Jews in ovens? They were irrelevant just like these moderates that aren't preventing the radicals from taking over.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I think it is safe to say that the international Islamic response to combat Islamic terrorism has been tepid at best. Simply being afraid of the terrorists in their midst is an insufficient excuse. Of course, there is the referenced website at Georgetown devoted to documenting the "dozens" of instances of Muslims denouncing terrorism. Not particularly reassuring.

Car accident deaths vs. terrorism deaths? An A in statistics and an F in political science I am guessing. 

I would like to bury my head and ignore the obvious because it is uncomfortable. But Islamic terrorism is a pestilence that will not die on its own. Taking more time (maybe another thousand years or so?) to "better understand why they don't like us" is pointless. It is their stated religious mission to to destroy Israel and kill us. At least my car has air bags.