Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC 20

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Just got a return email stating my shipping date is Nov. 14th.
    @GATraveller when did you place the order?
    Sorry just saw this.....I placed my order Aug.19th.

cazzy said:
    Just got a return email stating my shipping date is Nov. 14th.
    @GATraveller when did you place the order?
    What color too?
    It's a tan 65

Can't get here quick enough.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    cazzy said:
    pab said:
    Damn @cazzy. First I see your sliced bacon and bought the Dexter knife. Now I see your cooler and just ordered th 45 quart one. Please don't show any pictures of your new smoker, I can't afford it! :)
    If I've only cost you $200, I feel like I have failed you.  My apologies! :tongue: :naughty: 
    Something tells me there will be plenty of time to work on that!  ;)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've got my 40 loaded up with 24 bud light cans, 18 bottles and 20lb of ice. (lid wouldn't close at first.) Now it's all sealed up! I'll get pics in a second, but that's what I got it to hold. It's also sitting on hot asphault in South MS where it's been in the upper 80s and humid as heck all day today. I did not pre cool it, but it was in A/C when I first loaded it. (the beer wasn't super cold either straight out of one of those open grocery beer isle cooler things)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited October 2015
    Options

RE:  RTIC 20  

Well I forgot when I pre-ordered  but I PAID  the deposit (the price)  on 8/19

I just called & cust svc said  my ship date was Est. at Nov 14th - thought it'd be sooner..  oh well

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Preordered a blue 65 on 7/5 but had to change color due to availability and paid for a tan 65 on 8/19.  Expected ship date is 11/14  Definitely requires some patience for a good deal lol
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I feel like I've left everyone down. I said I would test with beer and ice today, but alas, that didn't happen. However, I did receive it and unboxed it.

This thing seems just as solid as my Pelican, but it has straps instead of latches. Overall, it's a tank. I can't wait to give it a real test. Think I might need to pick up a case of beer and bag of ice tomorrow to give it a test.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DMW said:no
    I feel like I've left everyone down. I said I would test with beer and ice today, but alas, that didn't happen. However, I did receive it and unboxed it.

This thing seems just as solid as my Pelican, but it has straps instead of latches. Overall, it's a tank. I can't wait to give it a real test. Think I might need to pick up a case of beer and bag of ice tomorrow to give it a test.
    My Pelican coolers are the bomb but the handles and latches take up so much space and make the cooler so much larger compared to the RTIC  style.
    Glad you got your's. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    Options
    @Photo Egg I haven't actually used the RTIC yet, hadn't considered that. Good point, especially on the smaller size, where saving space on the latches and handles will help it fit into smaller spaces.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Photo Egg I haven't actually used the RTIC yet, hadn't considered that. Good point, especially on the smaller size, where saving space on the latches and handles will help it fit into smaller spaces.
    Foot print size never crossed my my mind either till I put the Pelican 45 in my car for the first time and then later had it side by side with the RTIC 65. Like I said in another post, I really like the build quality and features of the Pelican. But it has a very large foot print for the inner volume.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited October 2015
    Options
    After seeing the 20's decided I wanted one of those too and placed an order yesterday. Expected ship date  1/18/16 :o
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    stv8r said:
    After seeing the 20's decided I wanted one of those too and placed an order yesterday. Expected ship date  1/18/16 :o
    Ouch...but well worth the wait
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    Options
    I have ice blocks in my 20 now to pre-chill it. Tomorrow I'm going to put 24 beers in and fill the rest with ice cubes and see how long it lasts (beer and ice).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    DMW said:
    I have ice blocks in my 20 now to pre-chill it. Tomorrow I'm going to put 24 beers in and fill the rest with ice cubes and see how long it lasts (beer and ice).
    How's the testing going?  Beer's gone, but ice is still there?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    DMW said:

@dmw I think we should do an under / over - how many days can it keep the beer below 45 degrees
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I really would like to hear how these perform.....
  • DMW
    Options
    Been traveling, so haven't been able to update. Monday evening I put 30 bud lights and 8lb of ice in the 20. The beer was in the beer distributors walk in fridge, so not sure exactly how cold the beers were going in. The ice was from the ice cooler at the distributor.

I put 15 on the bottom, dumped a bit of ice, then stacked the other 15 on top and dumped the rest of the ice in.

As you can see, more ice would have fit.
    Here's what it looked like tonight when I got home:

Yep, no ice and a few beers gone that I drank last night while watching the world series.

I just dumped some more ice cubes in and a few ice blocks. Both were in my deep freezer, so I'm sure a bit colder than the ice freezer at the beer distributor.

I'm going to dump some more ice cubes from our fridge freezer in as well. I'll try to top it as full as possible with ice. I did not drain any water from it.

I hope this was just me not loading it properly Monday. We'll find out. It is sitting in our basement, probably sitting around 65* average.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I've got my 40 loaded up with 24 bud light cans, 18 bottles and 20lb of ice. (lid wouldn't close at first.) Now it's all sealed up! I'll get pics in a second, but that's what I got it to hold. It's also sitting on hot asphault in South MS where it's been in the upper 80s and humid as heck all day today. I did not pre cool it, but it was in A/C when I first loaded it. (the beer wasn't super cold either straight out of one of those open grocery beer isle cooler things)
    And did you need a hernia operation after lifting it??
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

After my first night of people being in and out of it, I added another 20lbs of ice saturday Morning...

I left the beer leftovers and ice in my motorhome with the a/c off. This is what it looks like today... Hasn't been touced since saturday morning.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options

After my first night of people being in and out of it, I added another 20lbs of ice saturday Morning...

I left the beer leftovers and ice in my motorhome with the a/c off. This is what it looks like today... Hasn't been touced since saturday morning.

Works for me 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Ordered and paid for my tan 20 on 1 Oct, shows shipping on or before 27 Dec, I'm in no real rush this time of year.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

I see a 2013 Bigfoot in there... I have a 6 pack worth of 2012s aging yet!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    So anyone know what RTIC stands for? Just wondering. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    So anyone know what RTIC stands for? Just wondering. 
    Really Thick Insulated Coolers.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I was kidding above. I actually have no idea what it stands for. Maybe the Cooler Gods will chime in shortly.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I assumed it is meant to be pronounced R-tic like short for "Arctic".   As I typed that I noticed there is a C missing so maybe it is just the southern way to say Ar-tic. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    I assumed it is meant to be pronounced R-tic like short for "Arctic".   
    You may be on to something here. It certainly sounds plausible.  

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I assumed it is meant to be pronounced R-tic like short for "Arctic".   As I typed that I noticed there is a C missing so maybe it is just the southern way to say Ar-tic. 
    That's what I was told
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    DMW said:
    Been traveling, so haven't been able to update. Monday evening I put 30 bud lights and 8lb of ice in the 20. The beer was in the beer distributors walk in fridge, so not sure exactly how cold the beers were going in. The ice was from the ice cooler at the distributor.

I put 15 on the bottom, dumped a bit of ice, then stacked the other 15 on top and dumped the rest of the ice in.

As you can see, more ice would have fit.
    Here's what it looked like tonight when I got home:

Yep, no ice and a few beers gone that I drank last night while watching the world series.

I just dumped some more ice cubes in and a few ice blocks. Both were in my deep freezer, so I'm sure a bit colder than the ice freezer at the beer distributor.

I'm going to dump some more ice cubes from our fridge freezer in as well. I'll try to top it as full as possible with ice. I did not drain any water from it.

I hope this was just me not loading it properly Monday. We'll find out. It is sitting in our basement, probably sitting around 65* average.
    Wow.  I hope this isn't normal, as I'd expect it to hold ice for more than 3 days.  I have a cheap $30 igloo cooler that does that.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio