Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Heavy Heart

It has been a tough week fellas.  Many of you that know me here, my Mom had some medical issues back in December that included a throat cancer and a procedure of a feeding tube going wrong.  She was battling back so well too.  The cancer was gone and her wounds were almost all healed.  

Saturday we went out to eat with her at her favorite places and then Sunday we had her over for the pork loin and stuffed mushrooms I posted here.  

Monday, I spoke to her on the phone and she was doing real well.  In fact she went to get a mammogram done.  Typical of my Mom, I asked, "how did that go?" she replied "Well, they squeezed the hell out of my titties, but other than that, it went okay".  All I could do is laugh.   

Tuesday came along and I didn't hear from her.  Phone went to VM.  Sometimes she gets worn down and she takes a nap in the evenings and I thought "no big deal".  Later on the evening and into the night, my brother calls and says "have you heard from Mom".  I replied "No, I haven't" and was wondering why I hadn't then.  Her friend called my brother and told him she has tried to call her and there are no lights on at the house.  My heart sank at that moment and my brother told me he's going over to her house to see what is up.  My fear was true, my Mom gained her angels wings and went to be with the Lord we believe that morning.  EMS/first responders feel she had a massive heart attack and went quickly, which is humbling, but the sudden deaths like this makes it rough.  

We laid my beautiful Mom to rest Friday at 4pm, right beside my Father.  Really a double whammy as many of the feelings and emotions came right back from when I was 11 years old going to that same spot.  

I am fortunate that we took Mom to the beach with us at the end of June.  She sure did enjoy herself.  I wished now we could have stayed longer.  That was her happy place for sure.  

Guys, if you have your parents around, love them as much as you can, and often.  Tell them you love them no matter what along with a tight squeeze, if you can.  

Here she is at the beach.  Going to miss this woman.  

A friend of ours sang this song at her funeral.  Such a beautiful song for such an amazing soul and person.  I really wish I could have a recording of his singing.  Simply wow!  

https://youtu.be/J15I85hESTg

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Matt, you obviously were a wonderful son to a great woman. You spent the last days making memories. Cherish those and remember a great life. 

Your family is in our thoughts. 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Sorry for your loss. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    My condolences.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Truly thinking of you and your family. So happy to hear she spent a good vacation with you. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Matt, I'm truly sorry for your loss my friend. I know that there is nothing that I can say that can make any difference. But please know that you and your family are in both my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the very best in this tragic time. May the Good Lord cast a blessing your way. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Sorry to hear this.  You're blessed to have had a great relationship with her.  Condolences.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Matt, my heart goes out to you. I know this pain all too well. God Bless your family.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I'm terribly sorry to hear that Matt. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Matt, I am very sorry for your loss.  Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Very sorry to hear this Matt, best thoughts for you and your family.
  • So sorry.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Matt. Everyday is a blessing to have with our loved ones.  We have my Mother here with us (she has her own private home on property) and although she's active and full of spunk & fire I know one day that'll slow down. There are days she infuriates me but, then I remember this is my Mom and love her just the way she is. I can only imagine the heartache. I also lost my Father at 10-11 yrs old. It sucks. I'm truly sorry for your loss and am glad you were able to share in many happy times with her. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am so sorry Matt. I could tell through your posts here how much you loved your mother. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Oh no Matt...I am truly sorry my friend. My deepest Condolences. Words fail me.. If there is anything I can help with please don't hesitate to call me. I am just a phone call away.... Once again my sincerest and heart felt condolences to you and your family... God Bless..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    So sorry to hear this. Thoughts to you and your family Matt.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    I am very sorry for your loss, and will pray for strength and peace for you and your family.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    If I am able to help in any manner, do not hesitate. 
    So, so very sorry. Will keep you in my thoughts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    That sounds rough Matt - I hope you're holding up OK.  I just got back from a week at the NC beach with my folks.  You're right - the time we all have is short.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sudden or slow, I don't think with immediate family it makes much difference. These people are hooked into your heart, and the loss is inescapable. Tears do help. And, if you can, watch your dreams. Sometimes there is another and better farewell there.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    So sorry my friend. I know you went through a lot when she was sick. I hope all the great memories give you some comfort. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Condolences to you and your family!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    With a loss of a parent, there is the loss of much wisdom.  All the best to you and your family.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    How blessed you are to have made great memories before Mom passed.  I am sorry for your loss.  
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Pat and I send our sincere condolences. All of our parents are gone now as well so we certainly understand your grieving.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Matt, thanks so much for sharing.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  And above all, keep remembering your mom's good times, as I'm sure she's reliving them now.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    So sorry to hear this. I lost my mom several years ago, but still miss her  every day. My thoughts are with you and your family. Its a tough time, but it too will pass.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Matt, I am so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for sharing and the reminding us to love our parents as much as we can. 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Pat, we would like to offer you and your family our condolences. She is in a much better place ,singing and rejoicing. God will take great care of her. We will pray for your family in the trying times.
    May God bless you all 
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    God Bless you're family my friend. We'll keep yall in our prayers. Sorry for the loss. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA