Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YETI x 5

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @sgh mine was in the car from 7a to 5:30p on a sunny day in NGA today. 95 degrees, no clouds. Still had some ice when I got home. There may be others out there, but these are legit!

My wife made fun of me when I bought it, two weeks later she wanted her own. Now both my kids want one. I honestly haven't drank out of anything else except the occasional can or bottle since I bought it. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @sgh that is the brand they I bought them at a hippy outdoor shop here but we are in the land of hikers.  Double walled stainless steel vacuum insulated like the yeti tumblers.  Just have a screw on lid instead.  These have become like yetis at my store almost everyone has one now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There may be others out there, but these are legit!
    Brother Yolk, the Yeti sure feels heavy duty and solid as a rock. For the record, the stuff that you have head me say before about Yeti is just me messing with folks. In all honesty their coolers are about as good as it gets. Pricey for sure, but solid. I have a feeling that I will end up picking up some more of these 30oz. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got a 20 and a 30. Dig them both. I made the mistake of pouring some French press coffee in my 20 oz. drove to the work site, unloaded my gear, started working, then remembered I brought my coffee. This was about 2 hours after the pour. I freakin' scalded my mouth, thinking the temp would have dropped. I took a big swig, spewed most. Yeah, they are legit.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Got a 20 and a 30. Dig them both. I made the mistake of pouring some French press coffee in my 20 oz. drove to the work site, unloaded my gear, started working, then remembered I brought my coffee. This was about 2 hours after the pour. I freakin' scalded my mouth, thinking the temp would have dropped. I took a big swig, spewed most. Yeah, they are legit.
    It's funny that you mention that. There was actually a pamphlet in the cup warning not to burn yourself. Said it was easy to do until you got use to the cup.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    It's funny that you mention that. There was actually a pamphlet in the cup warning not to burn yourself. Said it was easy to do until you got use to the cup.  
    I thought it was total BS when I read that. I am an engineer, and I appreciate a well designed product. I will tell you, with pride on the floor, I have not made that MENSA moment happen again. I really do some of the stupidest things sometimes.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     I really do some of the stupidest things sometimes.....
    Don't we all my friend. I could tell you some stories of stupid things that we have done that you would not believe. 

Status- Standing by.

• RKloeppel
    RKloeppel Posts: 6
    Options
    I bought the 30 Oz last month and love it.  I can't believe how long ice will stay in the yeti.
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I too have gotten into the Yeti craze and love the 20oz. Use it for absolutely everything cold. I put ice in it in the morning at 0430 and with continuing to fill it up with water every 30 minutes or so at work, the ice lasts to about 1300. Can't wait to get the 30oz. Hoping to fill it with ice for work and have it last even longer. Great product. Most impressive.  

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dont drink hot stuff out of the yeti, bring a smaller cup and simply pour it in, you dont even want to remove the lid. really convienent at 4am on the boat, no cap/covers to fumble with in the darkthirty. they need to make one that fits the old drink holders, its useless in my truck
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I'm glad you joined the yeti club @rrp @sgh.  I have two 20 oz and a 30 oz.  Honestly I need a couple more because my wife uses them for coffee every morning and leaves them in her office. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I am a Yeti believer. I started with the 30 oz tumbler for cold drinks and it was great. Then I went to the 20 oz for my coffee.  I like my coffee hot to be able to enjoy it. I just preheat by filling it with hot water and let sit while coffee brews. The coffee stays as hot as I like it for 2 plus hours... I haven't had another one that does that.  I then got the Colster and like it a lot.   Just got the Yeti 35 Tundra cooler and looking forward to using it. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    Options
    The Yeti is off to a great start. Just for kicks, last night I dropped a couple of pieces of ice in it at 12:30am. They are still in there this morning. That alone exceeded my expectations. I honestly thought that they would have melted by now.  

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The one drawback with ice water, after you drink all the water you don't get anymore from the melt.

More trips to fill up with water instead of ice and water. 
  • SGH
    Options
    The one drawback with ice water, after you drink all the water you don't get anymore from the melt.
    I will gladly take that trade off. We go through tons of ice. So far I'm impressed with the cup.  

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It's a good problem, just took me by surprise. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dont drink hot stuff out of the yeti, bring a smaller cup and simply pour it in, you dont even want to remove the lid. really convienent at 4am on the boat, no cap/covers to fumble with in the darkthirty. they need to make one that fits the old drink holders, its useless in my truck
    My car has cup-holders that are too small for the Yeti too.   My solution was to get weathertech floor mats.  (edit - stock photos)

Options
    My car has cup-holders that are too small for the Yeti too.   My solution was to get weathertech floor mats.  (edit - stock photos)

spillings not my problem, my truck is always full of river mud anyways =) it just would be nice to have a big cup i could dump a lemonade in at the drive thru that fits in my cup holder. the design engineers at yeti must all be in there 20's and dont know about older cars and small drink holders =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    FYI if you ever want a handle for your Yeti 30, I discovered that my Tervis 30oz handle (with the bottom 'rung' cut off) works perfect. 

They are $7.33 on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Tervis-Tumbler-Black-24oz-Handle/dp/B004VVHORG
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • SGH
    Options
    Helmet said:
    FYI if you ever want a handle for your Yeti 30, I discovered that my Tervis 30oz handle (with the bottom 'rung' cut off) works perfect. 

They are $7.33 on Amazon
    Brother thanks for sharing this. My hands do not work so well any longer due to a nerve issue. I drop everything. A handle would make this cup darn near perfect. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Helmet said:

They are $7.33 on Amazon
    Thanks, but a question...isn't the center of gravity slightly off when it is full? Ever dump a full one?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Helmet
    Options
    No problem @SGH I'm really glad it happened to fit, works like a charm!
    @RRP I've never really noticed. The handle is not solid (it flexes a little) but it stays on quite tightly and I've yet to spill while using it. That said I usually have my fingers around the handle and my thumb on the cup itself. Lemme get a pic....
  • Helmet
    Options

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Helmet said:

Great idea and for just $7.33 at that! I have wondered though why YETI doesn't offer such a handle themselves. I mean it would be such a natural accessory.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If they did, or do eventually (sell a handle) - it'll cost at least $20.
    Options
    you meant $19.99 didn't you?
  • SGH
    Options
    If this is the case, Yeti must be a bunch of democrats ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    Waiting to hear your assessment @SGH , love mine use it daily!

hapster said:
     Looking forward to hearing your thoughts 
    Fellows I got to say that the Yeti far exceeded what I expected it to do. I was outside for a considerable time today bush hogging and kept the Yeti on the tractor the whole time that I was on it. It was right at 100 degrees today from 12:00pm until late afternoon. After the initial filling with ice, I only added ice twice the remainder of the day. Also when I would add drink to the Yeti, it was room temp and not prechilled. Had I been using prechilled drinks the results would have been even more impressive. It's without a doubt the best cup that I have ever used. After todays little experiment, I will certainly be picking up a couple more of them in both sizes. Question for y'all, are the colsters worth the money or would you stick with just the cups?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The colsters are nice, but I don't think they're worth $30 unless you're a really slow drinker.  I don't use mine that often - I will bring it on the boat or if I'm in serious heat.  They don't fit my drink holder in the car.  95% of the time I use a cheap neoprene promotional coozie.

Take that $30 and buy another thermos cup.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @SGH I love my yeti tundra, I just picked up a hopper 30.... Took it to my sons swim meet mid 90s on concrete (way too hot to sit in a chair on concrete) kids were in and out of it all afternoon we were on the concrete for approx 6hrs. It was Full of ice very little melting. I realize this was only 6 hours but I was very happy. We have a all stars in a few weeks it's all day we will see how it does. Keep in mind it's not my tundra but I don't expect it to work the same. Very pleased. Glad you like your yeti. 
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE