Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs No Wrap. You be the judge.

Options

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    I wonder if I should wrap all of this.  :pensive: 

Catering?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep...cooking for 150+ on Saturday.
    Damn!

Share some pictures of that epic cook if you have a minute to snap a picture.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What a great video.......several interesting lessons learned.  Thanks for sharing.  One question for your guys is this:  Last few briskets I've done had the tips/sides get overcooked and hard where it outstretched the plate setter.  Is there an easy remedy for this on a LBGE?  I have always cooked nekkid but think I may wrap in paper and flip @ 165 IT next time to see if this solves the issue.....thoughts???  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @SGH thanks for sharing that video. I watched it last night and found it very educational.  I also like the simple S&P rub.  I know other folks here do it, I have gotten wrapped up in a more complicated rub of liquids and dry rubs but maybe the next time I'll just keep it simple.  That looked great.

I don't normally wrap at all but had no idea you could use butcher paper as a wrap.  I figured it'd burn or turn black and ash up the meat.  I guess not.  Might have to try that as well as the results looked nice.

I missed all the references you guys were making above to a secret ingredient.  We you guessing that he normally uses S&P with onion powder added to it?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What a great video.......several interesting lessons learned.  Thanks for sharing.  One question for your guys is this:  Last few briskets I've done had the tips/sides get overcooked and hard where it outstretched the plate setter.  Is there an easy remedy for this on a LBGE?  I have always cooked nekkid but think I may wrap in paper and flip @ 165 IT next time to see if this solves the issue.....thoughts???  
    You might try the foiled brick trick to put a bend in the brisket to keep it over the platesetter. I think a lot a folks fail to recognize that the cooking surface for indirect is the size of the platesetter. That's why I bought the XL over the L. I thought the platesetter in the large was way too small for large cuts such as briskets and full racks of ribs. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Yes.  The R&B Stone Adjustible Rig combo from CGS.  No overhang...works great for me!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GATraveller
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Yes.  The R&B Stone Adjustible Rig combo from CGS.  No overhang...works great for me!
    Thanks.  I've been eyeing this for a while.  Guess I need to pony up and place order.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    I use fire bricks.  I also don't bother to wrap them in foil.  Is there a reason to wrap them in foil aside from easy cleaning?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I wouldn't really want Aaron Franklin to give all his secrets.  The fact for me is that I want help to get better but if people gave all their secrets, what is the incentive to branch out and try new things?  I will never give Franklin BBQ or anyone else any competition but I certainly appreciate the willingness to share information to get me closer than I was yesterday.  I have no desire to copy anyone when cooking or doing anything else.  I make a tonne of homebrew and I hardly follow my own recipe twice, certainly never follow anyone else's and the last thing I would do is try to copy a commercial example.  I can buy that if I want it, I do my own thing for just that reason, to make it my own.

During my recent big cook, I learned a huge amount from @SGH and @cazzy and I thank them greatly for their help but I am already thinking of how I can play around with what I learned.  It may not make it better, may make it worse but trying new things is what excites me.  I want inspiration more than direction and I think that's what Aaron's books and videos do, as does this whole forum.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    @gatraveller- I've had same issue with edges of flat getting over cooked. Not only are they the thinnest but also out close to the edge/hottest part. I did last weekend I put foil under the corners (just the corners). Not wrapped. Just a small amount of foil to help heat deflect. Turned out much better than my previous efforts.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    Options
    Raymont said:
    @gatraveller- I've had same issue with edges of flat getting over cooked. Not only are they the thinnest but also out close to the edge/hottest part. I did last weekend I put foil under the corners (just the corners). Not wrapped. Just a small amount of foil to help heat deflect. Turned out much better than my previous efforts.
    Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to give that a try.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    agreed and the wrap after the stall will protect it further. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    Options
    To add to the conversation, I found this article interesting on how important the rest is for improved brisket quality. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/08/411778404/pitmasters-embrace-new-barbecue-truth-rested-meat-is-sublime
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just watched the video and read through this whole thread. 

I haven't cooked nearly as many briskets as the veterans on this forum, but I can say this, much the knowledge shared in the videos, forum threads, and blogs are helpful and filled with details worth paying attention to. Beyond that, the main thing that has helped me is doing more cooks. Experience, experience, experience. 

I have kept a log of every brisket cook I've done and what changes I've made. Every now and then, there's still one that comes out a little sub-par but my notes and small changes have certainly improved my cooking. 

I really appreciate all you guys share on here. And to those of you that haven't tried to do a brisket yet, GET ONE! Stay relaxed about it. Enjoy the result. Then see what you can do to improve on the next one. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    TxAg93 said:
    To add to the conversation, I found this article interesting on how important the rest is for improved brisket quality. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/08/411778404/pitmasters-embrace-new-barbecue-truth-rested-meat-is-sublime
    Thanks for sharing....a good read for sure.  I wonder why they didn't mention just wrapping in paper and throwing in the oven at 140 for the hold as an option.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you do go all out on the FTC method be mindful of carryover cooking. I find that a lot more juice winds up in the foil using that method than just letting it rest on a cutting board.
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    TxAg93 said:

Due to work, I just now got around to reading the link that you shared. Great write up. Thanks for sharing. 

4Runner said:
    I wonder why they didn't mention just wrapping in paper and throwing in the oven at 140 for the hold as an option.  
    This is just speculation on my part. My guess is that the writer was not giving his opinion or input but expressing the opinion and thoughts shared by Aaron and John exclusively. Aaron in a round about way touched on the subject. He said that his latest holding method was more akin to convective heat than radiant heat. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Got it.   I might do this on my next cook instead of trying to be so precise in my timing.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Just a friendly bump as I'm sure a lot of people will be doing a brisket this weekend and it's always nice to get a "fresher" if you have not done a lot of briskets.  Thanks for all the great info as always.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Didn't read the thread all the way through, but CGS sells a roll of butcher paper with free shipping.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • RKloeppel
    RKloeppel Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for.sharing! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I did 5 briskets this weekend with friends - 3 on a large offset and 2 on a Traeger. We used butcher paper for the first time. We all think it was a gamechanger. I bought a 1000 foot roll and have shared paper with any of my work friends who want it - and anybody who tasted the brisket and cooks their own wants it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
     Thanks for all the great info as always.
    My pleasure brother. 

RKloeppel said:
    Thanks for.sharing! 
    Always glad to share my friend. 

Foghorn said:
    I did 5 briskets this weekend with friends - 3 on a large offset and 2 on a Traeger. We used butcher paper for the first time. We all think it was a gamechanger. I bought a 1000 foot roll and have shared paper with any of my work friends who want it - and anybody who tasted the brisket and cooks their own wants it. 
    Glad to hear that the briskets were a hit!! You know, this is just me thinking out loud, but I think most folks tend to over cook when using  foil. You don't have the "braise" affect when using  paper and as such it's a little easier to catch it. Rather my theory is right or wrong, I still prefer paper over foil. Again, glad that your briskets were a hit my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    For brisket I never do low and slow on my egg but use the Travis brisket method and it turns out great without foiling but it has a braised effect with the cooking pan.  It usually take about 8 hours for a large packer and has great bark. I am too old and impatient for L&S and the difference is not noticeable unless looking for it.  I also prefer the non wrapped brisket crunch.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SGH
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    For brisket I never do low and slow on my egg but use the Travis brisket method and it turns out great without foiling but it has a braised effect with the cooking pan.  It usually take about 8 hours for a large packer and has great bark. I am too old and impatient for L&S and the difference is not noticeable unless looking for it.  I also prefer the non wrapped brisket crunch.
    The above proves the point that everyone has different tastes and prefers different things. I have always believed that if you are getting the desired results that you are looking for, then why mess with success. There is no one best way for everyone. A version of the Travis method that you like has earned Myron Mixon more wins than any other person in history. It just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat. The only question that remains is how does one prefer to skin the said cat? 

Status- Standing by.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I agree.  Does anyone know how Johnny Triggers does his ribs when not  in competition. I have heard his comments that completion ribs are not as good as his normal way ?
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "Glad to hear that the briskets were a hit!! You know, this is just me thinking out loud, but I think most folks tend to over cook when using foil. You don't have the "braise" affect when using paper and as such it's a little easier to catch it. Rather my theory is right or wrong, I still prefer paper over foil. Again, glad that your briskets were a hit my friend. "

Thanks @SGH.  As for the foil, I've wondered the same.  I've also wondered that if I were using brisket to make chopped beef sandwiches if foiling might be the best approach.  With that being said, Franklin's chopped brisket sandwich is the best piece of food I have ever eaten - and it was cooked in butcher paper...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Franklin's chopped brisket sandwich is the best piece of food I have ever eaten - and it was cooked in butcher paper...
    I have heard the above many times. I really hope to get to try it for myself someday. I would just really like to have something to compare the Waygus to. If it's better than those, it must be beyond spectacular. If I ever make it over that way, I intend on trying Franklin's as well as a few of the other popular places in the area just as a comparison. I would think that some of those older establishments in the area would be great as well.  

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Options
    I haven't been to all the top Q spots in South Texas - expecially in Austin.  But I can now consistently (meaning 80% of the time) make better brisket on my egg and on a CharGriller Akorn than I can buy at Kreuz, County Line, Salt Lick, Luling City Market, The Granary, or Rudy's - and that was before I added the butcher paper step.  The 5 I cooked this weekend entered the rarified air of being in the same neighborhood as Franklin's.  This was a neighborhood I didn't even know existed until I visited his place in May. 

The bottom line is that the older places put out some great Q (I love the ribs and sausage from Kreuz), but where brisket is concerned the bar has been raised over the past few years.  I hope to get to La Barbecue and Mueller's some day - and back to Franklin's. 

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I haven't been to all the top Q spots in South Texas - expecially in Austin.  But I can now consistently (meaning 80% of the time) make better brisket on my egg and on a CharGriller Akorn than I can buy at Kreuz, County Line, Salt Lick, Luling City Market, The Granary, or Rudy's - and that was before I added the butcher paper step.  The 5 I cooked this weekend entered the rarified air of being in the same neighborhood as Franklin's.  This was a neighborhood I didn't even know existed until I visited his place in May. 

The bottom line is that the older places put out some great Q (I love the ribs and sausage from Kreuz), but where brisket is concerned the bar has been raised over the past few years.  I hope to get to La Barbecue and Mueller's some day - and back to Franklin's. 
    No pics of the 5 you made this weekend?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I hope to get to La Barbecue and Mueller's some day - and back to Franklin's. 
    This is the 3 that I really want to try myself.  I agree with your statement above my friend. A few months back I had the good fortune of playing with a few Waygu Golds and Akaushis that I had purchased for Salado but I didn't get to attend due to work. When I say that they were spectacular, it's a understatement my friend. Now granted all of these were $200+ briskets and should be excellent. I just would like to try the high end locations to have a true measure of how good that they were. Hey, theirs may honestly be better. But I would sure like to taste them to see. Those Waygu Golds cooked over well aged oak were worth their weight in gold. 

Status- Standing by.