Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin. Here is why he is in a league of his own.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That's amazing.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    If you take the time to read the article, it really says a lot about the man. He more than deserves his success. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Thanks for sharing this great article on Franklin, @SGH.  Looking forward to meeting you in Salado this weekend.  Can't wait to try your SRF briskets!  I've never had SRF before.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    A man and his craft-and clearly pays attention to the details.  Thanks for the read. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    @EggObsessed
    Looking forward to meeting you as well. Hope that the brisket doesn't dissappoint!! If it flops, I'm going to blame Nola!!

Status- Standing by.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    wow!  I love to cook but just reading that was exhausting.  I wonder how anyone can keep that pace for life.

Also I would guess managing a bbq business has got to be one of the harder food genres.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Great piece !
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Very good read. The man is dedicated to his craft and it shows. I would love to be his apprentice. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Thanks for posting Scottie!  Very cool.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    great article.  must be intimidating to read if you're running your own bbq joint around here and wondering why your brisket isn't like Franklins
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Great article. His attention to detail is through the roof. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • wow!  I love to cook but just reading that was exhausting.  I wonder how anyone can keep that pace for life.

Also I would guess managing a bbq business has got to be one of the harder food genres.
    The kitchen never shuts down (except on Mondays when they aren't open). They are basically cooking something 24/7 outside of that. Crazy. This is why there are so few good bbq places. Even down here. It's barely humanly possible to do it on a large scale with 10/10 product. He's the only one I've never had an even near miss with. Everyone else has good days and bad. He does not seem to

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nice article.  I am looking at getting a half side of beef from a farm out in western Kansas at $1.70 to $200 a pond.  Aaron seems to have his craft down and its all in getting that pit seasoned just right.  The best places in KC are the ones that have been here a while and have been using the same pit and only using wood.  I would like to get down there sometime and try it.  It would be on of the few times I would stand in line for hours for food.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Definitely a young man's occupation.  Good read ... thanks Scottie.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2015
    Scottie, have you been? If you can get up early enough, get down there on Sunday. The wait is worth it no matter what anyone else says. If you can get into line around 7, you'll get served by 11:30/noon.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Great read!  What a work schedule. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • It's always amazing to read a piece that explains the minutiae that a true master of their craft navigates on a daily basis. Having been lucky enough to try some of his brisket I can't say I'm surprised. 

Thanks SGH, great read! You may have just inspired me to take run #2 at a brisket. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    www.texasmonthly.com/lists/franklin-barbecue<br><br>Wasn't sure how to add a link - but here's another great article on Mr Franklin.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    Scottie, have you been? 
    I haven't got to make it to his bbq joint. Have always wanted to go there. Hopefully will get to do so soon. 

Status- Standing by.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There could be a documentary called "Aaron Dreams of Brisket," if Mr. Franklin had time to dream. As above, I was exhausted just by reading his routine.
  • By they way- 35,000 lbs of brisket a month X $20 per lb is $8,400,000 a year...in Brisket alone. He's making $3-$4mm a year himself of selling meat. Wow.

Add in the TV shows. appearances, his products that are now sold in HEB grocery stores. Our loveable little hipster that started selling bbq in a 30 year old trailer has grown up!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Inspirational.  

Whatever it is, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing like Aaron Franklin does his thing.  Too bad that too much of the time, I just don't have the luxury or the will or the discipline or the time or the inclination to muster up that kind of focus.  Lots of excuses though!

Thanks for sharing it, @SGH !
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I found it interesting to see that he did the ribs in the 275 - 310* range.  I would have liked to know if the other meats were cooked in that temp range too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    For those wanting to try his BBQ, get there early.  Like 8 or 9am.  I've tried several time arriving at 10 only to be told they would likely be out of brisket by the time I got to the front of the line.  I did get to go a fund raising there and the food is really good.  And Aaron seems "real".  But if you don't want to wait for two hours you might try La Barbeque (with Franklin's ex-pitmaster) or John Mueller Meat Market (brother of Leann, who owns La Barbeque, sold Franklin his first pit).  Heck, even Rudy's has great brisket if you know what to order.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I would love to go, but I haven't been to Texas in many years. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Thanks for sharing this great article on Franklin, @SGH.  Looking forward to meeting you in Salado this weekend.  Can't wait to try your SRF briskets!  I've never had SRF before.
    Your chili with SRF gold brisket..... Holy Moly! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    This article was interesting look into what it takes to do it on a large scale. Lots of nuggets of good info. One question though; towards the end of the article, he mentioned wrapped in paper. I assume he's talking about parchment paper. Do any of you wrap in paper to rest? 
  • SGH
    This article was interesting look into what it takes to do it on a large scale. Lots of nuggets of good info. One question though; towards the end of the article, he mentioned wrapped in paper. I assume he's talking about parchment paper. Do any of you wrap in paper to rest? 
    He is using pink butcher paper. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    If I remember correctly, the pink butcher paper is 40lb weight paper. It works like a charm. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Status- Standing by.