Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need more govt in my life...

I realize it's Fox and many people don't care for fox, but

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/23/beef-producers-say-obama-is-trying-to-kill-their-industry-telling-americans-to/

Tufts University professor Miriam Nelson says the panel isn’t telling all Americans to become vegan but adds, “We are saying that people need to eat less meat. We need to start thinking about what’s sustainable. …Other countries have started doing this – including sustainability in their recommendations. We should be doing it, too.”

Comments

• More of the "change" we knew was coming. Not a fan. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • So if it was any of the alphabet channels it would have been more believable? I don't watch TV or surf mainstream media news since they don't really give you the news but their slanted and biased views. Just saying. 
  • @tridogdude I watch virtually zero tv other than sports and occasional food network. Just happened across the article, I'm with ya. Just wish everyone would stay out of my bittness. 
  • I'm with you on that one. Let us eat, drink, smoke and do what the heck we want and let them MTOFB. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
     “We are saying that people need to eat less meat. 
    It's advice like this that I ignore. Eat less meat, you got to be kidding. Meat is one of my very favorites. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I guess the Primal and Paleo folks won't like this. Conventional wisdom as it relates to diet and nutrition is completely flawed. From an evolutionary standpoint our bodies are designed to operate on animal protein, animal fat and natural vegetables. Not legumes and grains. Look at what has happened to our waste lines in the wake of the heavy grain, low fat diets in the last 30 to 40 years. Nuff said. 

If Washington says it's so, that's enough reason for me to say no. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Actually the diets of the world's healthiest nations are loaded with full grains and legumes and they eat very little red meat- if any at all. I don't eat that way but to say more beef and less grains is healthier is an entirely American phenomenon. It's also a proven fact that our ancestral mothers and fathers ate whatever they could to stay alive- including the dreaded grains and gasp....even those poisonous legumes. 

http://images.businessweek.com/bloomberg/pdfs/WORLDS_HEALTHIEST_COUNTRIES.pdf
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    ksmyrl said:
    I guess the Primal and Paleo folks won't like this. Conventional wisdom as it relates to diet and nutrition is completely flawed. From an evolutionary standpoint our bodies are designed to operate on animal protein, animal fat and natural vegetables. Not legumes and grains. Look at what has happened to our waste lines in the wake of the heavy grain, low fat diets in the last 30 to 40 years. Nuff said. 

If Washington says it's so, that's enough reason for me to say no. 

We had low fat diets in the past 30-40 years? Really? I'm thinking the 1/3rd of the population that is overweight or obese (more than any other developed country) missed that memo.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ksmyrl
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker we'll have to respectfully disagree. Highly refined, processed grains (the staples of today's food pyramid) are a new phenomenon, evolutionary speaking. Our bodies aren't designed to handle it. Not to mention artificial sweeteners, fat free anything on the grocery store shelf with hundreds of ingredients you can't pronounce. I'm guessing you'll agree these things are all bad. Basically...if our ancestors ate it, with a few obvious exceptions due to modern techniques (whey powder for example) 10,000 years ago then it's probably okay. Portions still matter of course. 

Real legumes are okay. But most folks open a can of beans and think it's okay. Anyway, good health to all. www.marksdailyapple.com 

Keep the faith. 

• ksmyrl said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker we'll have to respectfully disagree. Highly refined, processed grains (the staples of today's food pyramid) are a new phenomenon, evolutionary speaking. Our bodies aren't designed to handle it. Not to mention artificial sweeteners, fat free anything on the grocery store shelf with hundreds of ingredients you can't pronounce. I'm guessing you'll agree these things are all bad. Basically...if our ancestors ate it, with a few obvious exceptions due to modern techniques (whey powder for example) 10,000 years ago then it's probably okay. Portions still matter of course. 

Real legumes are okay. But most folks open a can of beans and think it's okay. Anyway, good health to all. www.marksdailyapple.com 

Keep the faith. 
    I've read it all and am very familiar with marks daily Apple-. Hes a former endurance athlete and a blogger who espouses the ideas of others. Not much different than other bloggers but he's just a guy making money talking smack about diet. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Just because you cannot pronounce something does not make it bad!  Actually some of the worst things for you are very easy to say!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I realize it's Fox and many people don't care for fox, but

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/23/beef-producers-say-obama-is-trying-to-kill-their-industry-telling-americans-to/

Tufts University professor Miriam Nelson says the panel isn’t telling all Americans to become vegan but adds, “We are saying that people need to eat less meat. We need to start thinking about what’s sustainable. …Other countries have started doing this – including sustainability in their recommendations. We should be doing it, too.”
    The professor is partially right, he just used one too many words.

As a nation, statistically we are obese.
    but meat per se, isn't the problem.

his comment is valid if all he said was "We are saying that people need to eat less"
    although exercising more would go a long way as well.

But I will say, nothing makes my blood pressure rise faster than hearing or reading the words "I need more govt in my life...", I'm very glad to find the comment was sarcastic.

As a card carrying Libertarian, I am the anti-thesis to "I need more govt in my life..."

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Just because you cannot pronounce something does not make it bad!
    Ever see the youtube video where a couple of comedians started a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide to see how many idiots would sign it.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Wait what's wrong with a "can of beans"? Especially to put in some chili!
    Seattle, WA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    If it weren't for meat I would pretty much starve.   99.9% of the meals we make have at least some meat on them. Even if we were told that meat is the most unhealthy thing that you can eat and you will die early from just eating it, I guess I won't have to worry about retirement.
    @Zmokin  I did hear about that petition. It was one of the funniest things that I had heard in a while.  It was amazing how many ignorant people there are out there that will believe everything that they see without thinking first.  

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    theres only one substitute for meat....BOOZE...is it sustainable  =) i believe it is
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    jcaspary said:
    ...  It was amazing how many ignorant people there are out there that will believe everything that they see without thinking first.  

@jcaspary ... I agree that it's amazing.  However, it should scare the hell out of you because a number of those folks vote ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Anyone have any good Tofurky recipes? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    No, but how 'bout some vegan bologna?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2015
    ksmyrl said:

Keep the faith. 
    Reality would like a word with you.

• ksmyrl
    @eggcelsior really? http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/

see the grain section...they recommend only HALF of grains be whole. Anyway, not trying to start something. Just trying to offer another view point. If something works for you then go for it. I'll never judge. Keep the faith.

• Eggcelsior
    Exactly @ksmyrl. Half of all grains should be whole. That is not congruent with your statement of "Highly refined, processed grains" being "the staple of today's food pyramid". The staple is fruits and vegetables. That should be half your plate. Grains should be a quarter. Of that, 50% is to be whole-grain. In essence, 12.5% of your plate can be refined grain. That does not meet the definition of staple, in this context.

There is no faith to keep in this regard, just science. 
  • Eggcelsior
    jcaspary said:
    ...  It was amazing how many ignorant people there are out there that will believe everything that they see without thinking first.  

@jcaspary ... I agree that it's amazing.  However, it should scare the hell out of you because a number of those folks vote ...
    Why is that scary?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    im sticking with this one seeing there is really no scientific base for the other ones =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    This is what I think about health food 
    http://youtu.be/TobvW77tuwQ
  • I'm starting to wish I'd saved this for the weekend... :pirate: 
  • Eggcelsior
    I'm starting to wish I'd saved this for the weekend... :pirate: 
    Any time politics are brought up, day, night, weekday, weekend... it is high time to turn it into a pissing match.

Contrarianism is the best policy to keep things light and funny.

• Zmokin
    I do I do.
    My favorite Tofurky recipe is:

Throw it in the garbage and cook a real turkey.

Tofu has too much estrogen in it and it will make a man grow boobs.
    That S--- ain't healthy for men.