Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waiting to hear about the meet and greet! :)

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I believe there is a spectrum of social media honesty.  On one end, those that live wide-open with their real names as their profile name, wouldn't think of making anything up, etc.  Others (most) have some level of info they will conceal by not revealing or by misinformation, varying degrees of embellishment, and so on.  On the other end I'm sure there are some that just make tons of stuff up.  SGH is a person, maybe not the right initials, but someone that cooks, takes photos and has that knowledge.  Maybe went further than most in embellishing the personal story.

I would imagine it would be embarrassing to get caught misleading someone or a group, especially to someone with so much exposure.  I'm guessing he/she just got boxed in with the invite and didn't handle it well and probably has no idea how to dig out.  I don't see any gain that couldn't have been had with an honest story, but who cares.  Worst case, maybe more persona than truth but the info's the same.  I don't use my real name here.  RRP knows I'm a real person because I bought a gasket from him (maybe he knows who SGH is too?).  But I'm a real person anyway, my name's just not Legume (no ****!).

I have to admit, the intrigue is entertaining, so are the jokes.  But check your hands, if you're currently holding a pitchfork or torch, put it down.  No harm, no foul with the exception of maybe nolaegghead. Is the forum better if SGH is chased away?  Personally I agree with cazzy's analysis, but the why of the story probably doesn't matter much.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Legume said:
    I believe there is a spectrum of social media honesty.  On one end, those that live wide-open with their real names as their profile name, wouldn't think of making anything up, etc.  Others (most) have some level of info they will conceal by not revealing or by misinformation, varying degrees of embellishment, and so on.  On the other end I'm sure there are some that just make tons of stuff up.  SGH is a person, maybe not the right initials, but someone that cooks, takes photos and has that knowledge.  Maybe went further than most in embellishing the personal story.

I would imagine it would be embarrassing to get caught misleading someone or a group, especially to someone with so much exposure.  I'm guessing he/she just got boxed in with the invite and didn't handle it well and probably has no idea how to dig out.  I don't see any gain that couldn't have been had with an honest story, but who cares.  Worst case, maybe more persona than truth but the info's the same.  I don't use my real name here.  RRP knows I'm a real person because I bought a gasket from him (maybe he knows who SGH is too?).  But I'm a real person anyway, my name's just not Legume (no ****!).

I have to admit, the intrigue is entertaining, so are the jokes.  But check your hands, if you're currently holding a pitchfork or torch, put it down.  No harm, no foul with the exception of maybe nolaegghead. Is the forum better if SGH is chased away?  Personally I agree with cazzy's analysis, but the why of the story probably doesn't matter much.
    Good post man.  It doesn't matter...cracking the puzzle, or just noticing all the pieces, was the fun part.  Several of us have met and have grown friendships offline or have put the name to the face at eggfests.  I repeat, I hope he's real, cause that would be an awesome story.  

I'll be in NOLA this October, and I hope I get to meet him while we're up there visiting @nolaegghead.  I don't think it will happen, but who knows.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Maybe he is on a bender and will be back in a couple days, I already miss him.

SGH where are you? 
    :-c

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    Options
    Maybe he died (his alter ego) and will be reborn as @MrsSGH who is his 28 year old widow who taught him everything he knows about BBQ in her past life when she was his father.     :-?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:

Maybe he died (his alter ego) and will be reborn as @MrsSGH who is his 28 year old widow who taught him everything he knows about BBQ in her past life when she was his father.     :-?

I like that story line. Imagine the possibilities...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    cazzy said:

And his mother, as well as his sister. It is the south, after all. Family trees without branches. Wait, can I say that here? I truly hope none of my brothers takes offense.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I think @NPHuskerFL is already laying the groundwork for just such a scenario.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I think everyone should throw out their guess about what SGH has been doing since he stopped posting on Sunday.  We might hear some funny stuff.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Legume said:

great post- I'm totally with you. I think it's all funny. my guess is SGH does too and I doubt he embarrassed one bit. I wouldn't be. I would just go to work on the next one. Hell, at least he was pitching in and helping etc. most of us them just needle people and cause trouble (although sadly I think they are funny too).

Especially guys that have been around here a lot- you can only answer the same question the same way 100 times before you just want to crawl under a rock. I would rather some of them reinvent themselves, have a little fun and stick around (as I suspect was the case with SGH). If not, then good on him for just being stone cold awesome.

If you really want to know how to embarrass yourself doing this, Just ask chrissnjenn.  I know someone has it saved somewhere. One of our local trolls was using 2 handles to troll with one and compliment with the other. Then he used one compliment his own cooks..."winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah"! Eggcelsior totally busted him and now he's SGH...er..I mean on here as someone else. probably Conway Twitty if I know that Dbag well enough :))

I still laugh every time I think about that one

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Rushed out and bought a Traeger, furiously cooking and snapping photos for new profile on that forum.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Rushed out and bought a Traeger, furiously cooking and snapping photos for new profile on that forum.
    Just go to the store and take pics on Saturday when they are demo cooking. Or use stock internet footage, or take pics at a local cook off. That way you can have 20 different pits and 20 avatars. "Ham Bone BBQ Team" and "Jimmy Jamz Rib Shack" etc. Then you have shirts and logos and everything ready to go...until you end up on the same forum one day.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Apparently the Mississippi's shrimp season is off to a good start.  Maybe he is really Forest Gump, running the Jenny with Lt. Dan for shrimp.

http://www.wdam.com/story/26026949/mississippis-shrimp-season-off-to-a-great-start
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Late cold water in MS Sound, lots of tiny shrimp. Not our best year.
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-?? Has anyone shot him a PM?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ok. Here it is.

SGH is cazzy.

The end.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Hell, 75% of the people on here still think Travis is black just because he uses that JB Avatar. I was shocked when i met him :)) (seriously)

Travis isn't black? WTF...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Ok. Here it is. SGH is cazzy. The end.
    Woha....Now we are onto something... :-O
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    I for one really looked up to SGH and will continue to have respect for him. He shared a lot of knowledge with us. Helped everyone that asked him any questions and was always polite and courteous. I hope all is well with him and he will be back to share more of his recipes and techniques.
    Lexington TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Late cold water in MS Sound, lots of tiny shrimp. Not our best year.
    @jllbms - It's on the internet, so it has be to be true?

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Ok. Here it is.

SGH is cazzy.

The end.

@Jeremiah‌ Thanks for the kind words my friend.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    =)) I think I just $hi+ myself @cazzy‌ !!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • marysvilleegger
    Options

Nope.  I did sandblast a DFMT for him, saw that his had powdery rust on it.  Thought I'd give it to him or swap him out if he didn't like that idea.  I bought the smokeware caps for both my eggs so I have some DFMTs laying around.

Kinda intriguing that @nolaegghead had a rusty DFMT laying around just like the one that was so prominently displayed in many of @SGH photos
    :-?
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Hell, 75% of the people on here still think Travis is black just because he uses that JB Avatar. I was shocked when i met him :)) (seriously)

Travis isn't black? WTF...

Wait.

JB is black?

I've been drinking his whiskey for years.  I had no idea.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• johnmitchell
    Options
    This is starting to get alcohol charged ..I am not even sure who I am signed SGH or cazzy
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    cazzy said:

Jeremiah said:

Ok. Here it is.

SGH is cazzy.

The end.

@Jeremiah‌ Thanks for the kind words my friend.

No problem brother cazzy.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    So. I confess. I am the @SGH‌.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    This is starting to get alcohol charged ..I am not even sure who I am signed SGH or cazzy
    I am not even sure what I was trying to say..happy days..