Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok to stack briskets in egg?

Options

I am cooking two briskets for a party tomorrow (19lb and 17lb; Choice).

Not enough room for both on Large Egg - is it ok to cut and stack them?

Appreciate any help/advice.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Short answer is no.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

Thanks. Any tricks or do I just need to do them separately?

Appreciate the help!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you have a second grid?
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32
    Options
    If you don't have a second grate, you could try using a rib rack and cooking them vertically. If no rib rack you could try angling them together like this /\

Maybe jury rig something out of a couple of empty cans and your wife's cookie cooling rack (not recommend. May result in bodily injury or death)

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Buy a second egg
    Dunedin, FL
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for all of the advice.

I do not have a second grid; but I will try to jury rig something with the beer can and a grate.

The volume of the meat seems to almost fill the entire dome. I guess I  (slightly) over estimated my cooking space. First time I wish I had gone with the extra large egg.

Thanks again for all the help!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If only you had an AR. With that weight you might not fit them both either. Watch the stem of the dome thermo.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Colorado Jim
    Options

Roger - good call. I already ran into that problem with the stem on the dome thermo!

I think I am going to cut my losses and do one brisket at a time. I have about 16 hours until go time; I'll do the first one  correctly and see how it goes.

Lesson leaned for me - 36lbs of brisket is a little too much. Gotta love it.

Thanks!

• Colorado Jim
    Options
    Little Steven - is "AR" additional rack?
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    AR stands for adjustable rig. Look them up on ceramicgrillstore.com. People swear by them when it comes to cooking multiple meats like you are trying to do.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    A couple of fire bricks and a second grate will work. Lay the brisket perpendicular to each other rotate at last once
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

Thanks  - had not heard the term AR before - still a relative rookie.

The fire bricks and second grate sounds like a good idea too.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Given your weights, then you should plan to foil a brick and lay the briskets over the brick so that they will fit until they shrink and fit flat.  And definitely go with two levels and rotate after around 6-8 hours.  Don't be surprised if the finish-line is wildly different for each.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I would sear the briskets on both sides on the egg over high temp and then let the egg cool and smoke them both for at least a couple of hours. That will give you a decent bark and smoke flavor.

Through both briskets in beef broth, red wine, and coffee (enough to cover them), pit in a rosemary bundle, cover it in the oven at 350 for 5 hours. It will taste amazing.
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

Thanks for the guidance.

I had to pull the trigger based on time and decided to do them one at a time; the second brisket probably won't be done on time but I'll work around it.

Mud Pig - the process you outlined above sounds pretty cool - will give this a shot next time.

I looked up the Adjustable Rig from ceramicgrillstore.com and think I am going to get it.

Thanks again - this is a great forum

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I bought a raised grid for my XL and then added bolts, washers and nuts to raise it more to make for dutch oven under a brisket or pork butt to collect the drippings and get some smoke. I put 5/8" spacers under the DO so it wouldn't burn. Here is what I built and you could do the same thing with the large with an extra grid like for a Weber Smokey Mountain. Pics below and in action. I want the AR, but can't afford it right now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    It's easy!

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

- is it ok to cut and stack them?

With out question NO. Here is a cheap solution if you are in a pinch for time. Run to Walmart and for less than 30 dollars you can get a Weber small kettle. I know that its not as efficient or as cool as the egg but none the less this is much better than cutting your brisket up. Cook the smaller of the two on the Weber and the larger one on the egg. When done you will still have the Weber and can use it for a second heat source when the need arises again. And trust me it will happen. You can never have to many heat sources as you have just discovered. Again I know this isn't the exact answer that you wanted but it is a alternative to get you out of a pinch. And in case you are wondering there have probably been more good briskets cooked on Webers than all other brand of cookers combined so don't worry about how the Weber will perform. I hope this helps my friend and good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    One last thing my friend. Now this is just my opinion but I would like to share it with you. In general when dealing with brisket it is almost always best to leave it whole. That being said there are certain times that one does need to remove the deckle when shooting for a specific end result but that is a story for another time. Whole is the way to go 99.9 percent of the time my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Colorado Jim
    Options

SGH - appreciate the response and great info - I am going to pick up a Weber to prevent this from happening again. I wound up cutting one brisket and keeping the other whole (before I saw your post).

Will give it run and see how it turns out tonight - still nursing this one along. Gonna be a long day at work tomorrow....

Thanks again for the great info.

• Colorado Jim
    Options
    LB69 - great pics and info on the alternative to the AR.
  • SGH
    Options

SGH - appreciate the response

As always you are more than welcome my friend. And brother remember that you can never have to many heat sources as there is almost always a need for at least two at your disposal at any given time. And for 30 bucks the little weber can be a real life saver at times. It makes a great hot dog and hamburger cooker as well as being very portable.

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    SGH said:

SGH - appreciate the response

As always you are more than welcome my friend. And brother remember that you can never have to many heat sources as there is almost always a need for at least two at your disposal at any given time. And for 30 bucks the little weber can be a real life saver at times. It makes a great hot dog and hamburger cooker as well as being very portable.

@SGH speaks the truth. The $30 I spent on a little Weber at my in-laws' house to complement their mediocre gasser may be dollar for dollar the best money I have ever spent on outdoor cooking. The cooking principles that we learn on this forum may be easiest to apply to our eggs but they largely can be applied to any grill.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Colorado Jim
    Options

I forgot to provide an update last week - the 37lbs of brisket turned out great out the office party.

it turned into an all nighter; but came out great in the end.

even the brisket I cut in half came out very well - very good smoke ring.

Working on an 8lb rack of beef ribs right now; will see how they turn out.

Thanks again for all of the help.