Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini........kinda

Comments

• sodigthisbigcrux
    sodigthisbigcrux Posts: 127
    edited August 2013
    mwraulst thanks for that review....I have one on the way and almost had buyers remorse before it came, because there's a guy on craigslist out of Salem OR who is listing new a Min for $250.00
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    new mini for 250 is a pretty damn good deal. I'd almost consider buying it and reselling for 350. i'm in TN less than 2 hours from mothership and i think with the nest they are 400 new. 

as to the questions on mini stuff fitting, i would ASSUME the mini platesetter, woo, and other fun mini items would fit just fine. My mini woo is at my father's house and i have not been up there to get it back for an in person testing. The reason i say assume, is that i noticed the grate that came with the KUB only wants to fit in there well when the handles are at the front and back. Side to side it seems to be tougher than just setting it in there. (a forced push is required) I'm assuming the grate it came with may be slightly warped and not the ceramic. I know the amazon stones that people buy for their mini's bc i had one to test with. Would love for someone else to ease my concerns if they've tried it. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438

@mwraulst - mine says it's coming on Sat so I'll check out the grate "orientation" then.

@Lit - if the firebox is smaller than a mini GE, the mini's platesetter sounds like it wouldn't work for legs down orientation.  That leaves the mini woo or a DIY project.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The firebox and fire ring are all one piece. The plate setter and woo will fit fine I am sure. I haven't tried yet but I took the fire ring out of my mini and it was almost the exact same size within like an eight of an inch. I am gonna play around later so I will take pics of the woo and setter in it.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Ok I have been keeping up on this thread and saw that the vision response letter said they were test marketed in California and Virginia. My question has anyone found one in Virginia? I would love to have one but can't drive to NJ to get one.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Firemanyz

If they were test marketed in VA, it had to be northern VA. Sterling is the region headquarters and Pentagon City is the busiest Costco on the East coast. I would check Leesburg, Sterling,Chantilly, Pen City and Fairfax. One store can search all the others if you can get the item number.
  • Firemanyz
    Could someone who got one please post the item number. I would like to try and call Costco and see we're the closest store that has any in stock is located. Thank you
  • Lit
    There is an item number posted earlier in this post if I remember correctly
  • Lit

There are some parts of this that seem cheaper than the egg and some that are nicer. The ash slide is much nicer, the band is way nicer with 2 springs and solid stainless steel band. Its actually a little bigger than the mini egg and it has side shelves and the lip to keep the band from falling off is nice. The bad the top vent is cheaper even though it has metal parts that slide inside the top to keep it from falling off. The ceramic is rougher and if they would have made the fire ring a little bigger they could have gotten more useable grate space. The woo fit fine as you can see in the pics. Overall I really like it and can't wait to fire it up tonight. I am also going to cut slots out of the fire ring to let the plate setter sit down to create more space. Bet I will be able to get an 8lb shoulder on this thing.image.image.image

• SmyrnaGA
    @Lit - Thanks for the pix and review.  I'm so excited!!  I doubt I would make mods to my fire ring since it'll probably void the warranty.  I'm thinking of "Getto-rigging" a foil wrapped 6" terra-cotta saucer wrapped with a long wire so it hangs inside the fire ring. That would give more cooking space above grate.

@Firemanyz - I found more info in another forum (http://www.kamadoguru.com/index.php?/topic/4787-mini-vision/page-4) with the item number as 698886 @ the Yonkers, NY Costco.

in Smyrna GA.

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    I am a Costco member in Grand Rapids, Mi. The NY store has the Kub, but they don't ship store to store or to my house. It is not on Costco's website. WTF...
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • SmyrnaGA
    @otter - Oh, don't get me started with Costco.  I've been a member for more than 15 years and I often visit the local store while traveling.  Years ago, I found this Jerky (http://www.goldenislandjerky.com/pd/679955/grilled-bbq-pork-jerky.aspx) in Costco Hawaii and LOVED IT.  But, can't get it Costco GA.

in Smyrna GA.

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2013
    Ive cooked a couple of meals in my KUB now and Im still delighted. Absolutely perfect for cooking for 2. This item proves a couple of things to me. 1) a reasonably priced and well optioned ceramic cooker can be had, and sold for a profit (Costco isnt into losing money on anything they sell) and 2) I'm definitely a "Mini" person and suspect lots of us are, and now know it but wouldn't for the steep price of admission of the BGE Mini until this little KUB thing came up.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Firemanyz
    Ok I just talked to a very nice lady at the pentagon city Costco in Va. She said they did not have any in stock. She then looked in the system and found some in NJ and NY. her quote on NY was the people must not like to BBQ. Appears that a bunch of stores in NY show them as in stock. So I don't have time for a road trip but if you live in the area good luck.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I contacted Vision directly, not a rewarding experience. "Laura" (I think) informed me they had no idea where Costco was selling the Kub, and she could not provide a list of dealers who might. If you see one of these snap it up, they are rare. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    got my kub. missing a nut for the handle, i can live with that
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Nice waterfront location. Firing mine up tonight for the first time. Its funny cause I actually had an extra nut with mine.
  • billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    edited August 2013
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Anyone willing to buy one for me and ship it to Texas? I'll pay for it :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460

I thought so too...double checked my "pile" of packaging and there were two I overlooked and that actually gave an extra.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Gogogordy said:

I thought so too...double checked my "pile" of packaging and there were two I overlooked and that actually gave an extra.
    ill go thru the packaging tonight, mailman was late and i had to get back to work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mark_08
    mark_08 Posts: 39
    I'd be interested in paying as well
    Medium Egg & Mini Max. Huntsville, TX
  • mark_08 said:
    I'd be interested in paying as well
    I'd be interested too
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Same here, if anyone from NY area is willing to, please PM me.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Firemanyz
    From my conversation with the Costco rep last night there was 40 in Manhattan NY store. I wish it was not 5 hours away or I'd have one.
  • Lit
    Got 2 bone in split chicken breast on mine while I watch the falcons in the garage. I would drive 5 hours for sure. I actually mapped it from Georgia today to Brooklyn. It was like 700 miles but I still have 4 weeks of PTO to burn this year. If I didn't have one already I would be on my way.
  • I emailed them and they said they would ship me one. They are going to send me the invoice. $40 shipping to get it here to Utah, so I may pass. I already have a mini, although this seems to be a great alternative. So I would try emailing them if you still want one and the site says they are gone. sales@usabestdealz.com
  • Firemanyz
    Who did you email?
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

@Lit

I purchased an egg carten for my father's mini. I was wanting to purchase one for my kub. saw that you had the 2 side by side and wondered if the kub would fit in the carten. What are your thoughts?

• Lit
    edited August 2013
    I tried to put the vision in last night and it wouldn't fit with the side metal arms on it. Its only 8 little bolts to take them off though and I am pretty sure it would fit but I didn't try it since I was already cooking on it when I tried. I will check tonight and let you know. Here's the results of my cook and my thoughts. Did bone in split chicken breasts that were pretty big. Cooked them with the plate setter feet up and not really sure what temp as the thermometer was too close to the chicken to report the correct temp. I am going to check the thermometer and see how far up the probe I have to go to get an accurate boiling temp then drill out some cork so I can raise the thermometer. Its not like the egg thermometer its 2 pieces so you have to have the back butterfly bolt tight or it will come apart. I am also going to take notches out of the fire ring with the dremmel so the plate setter can sit farther down to create more space vertically probably 2-3". Overall the cook went well and the chicken came out good. The platesetter works well with it and so does the Woo..image.image