Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggHead Forum Top Three Lessons Learned

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
As an engineer in the space industry we're required to catalog our 'lessons learned' to, what else, avoid repeating mistakes and to help edjukate newbies. After almost two years of Eggin' with a LBGE I wanted to list three (there are MANY) of my top 'Lessons Learned' from the Forum and to thank those (whoever they are and I think we know who some of them are) that have helped me realize my 'full potential' as an Egger.

1 - Dump the Lump - Being a long-time out-of-the-closet pyromaniac (you're born that way, it's not a choice) soon after getting an Egg I got into the habit of sorting and arranging the lump. Whoever equated 'arranging' to 'dumping', I thank you for saving a few days out of my life the past few years. Dumping works just fine, as long as you stir what's in there already and get the residual ash to fall through.

2 - No Soak Smoke - Put in whatever wood for smoke, chips or chunks, no benefit to soaking. Same result as 'Dump' in terms of saving time and effort.

3 - Turbo - Low and slow is fine if you got the time or want to put something on overnight but to 'push through stalls' and get 'er done in a more timely manner adding 'turbo' to your tool-suite is, well, sweet. 

Looks like mine are all about time! Cheers! And THANKS!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    And "they" say its not rocket science :)]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    There is one advantage to soaking wood if you are adding it mid-cook.  If you have removed the food/grids/platesetter to add the wood, then soaking the wood gives you some extra extra time to replace the food/grids/platesetter and get the lid shut before the wood ignites.  Dry wood chips ignites almost immediately, and that is not the smoke you are looking for. 
  • @Cowdogs just out of curiosity, when do you need to add wood mid-cook? I love how I get so many different techniques on here! When I want smoke throughout, I use chips and try to spread them all through the lump. When I only want early smoke I add chunks on top.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Most important thing learned is that everything works for someone - listen to and try to understand all techniques, those you like immediately and those you might dismiss. There is often a nugget in there somewhere. 
    For example, using the DFMT to control temp, some members hardly ever use it relying on the bottom vent to control air flow, others use both, others use the DFMT only - whatever works for you!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1) Cook to temp

2) Keep some holes in the charcoal grate unobstructed

3) Pay attention to what people write on these boards. Occasionally the details seem silly but if somebody on this board put that detail into their cook there is usually a reason.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Rule 5... Always burp...don't ask me how I know!!
  • Always light the lump waaay  before you need to add the food, That gets rid of the nasty smoke. Double check the smoke smell that it no long sour and acrid.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    @Cowdogs just out of curiosity, when do you need to add wood mid-cook? I love how I get so many different techniques on here! When I want smoke throughout, I use chips and try to spread them all through the lump. When I only want early smoke I add chunks on top.
    Sometimes I will add some chicken, ribs, or sausage during the last few hours of a pork butt cook.  .  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The fire's ready when the smoke smells good.  When the smoke smells good, the food will taste good.
    The fire's ready when the smoke smells good.  When the smoke smells good, the food will taste good.
    When the food tastes good, SWMBO forgives you for wasting so much time on this forum.
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    1. Burp.
    2. Go for it.
    3. Have fun.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • nolaegghead
    1. Steal underpants.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.
    Periodically tighten your bands
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

1. Steal underpants.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.

Time to go to work, work all day,
    Search for underpants, hey!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    1. When cooking pork butt, fat layer goes up
    2. When cooking pork butt, fat layer goes down
    3. When cooking pork butt, trim the fat layer
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Foghorn said:
    1) Cook to temp
    This, times 3.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    When all else fails, ketchup.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 1. Steal underpants.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.
    Do steal underpants get skid marks or rust?  Not if they're stainless steal.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead

1. Steal underpants.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.
    Do steal underpants get skid marks or rust?  Not if they're stainless steal.
    You'll have to ask skiddymarker.   His plan was:

1. work for growing telecom at the very precise time in history they're rocketing into the 20th century.
    2. ???
    3. Retire early

;)

1.  Calibrate your thermos, then believe your indications.

2.  Don't chase temperature.

3.  It's an air-flow driven cooker-feedback loop can take awhile.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2013
    Rule 5... Always burp...don't ask me how I know!!

+1 Please make this # ONE! 8-X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    seems the learning thing never stopps with the egg, in the last year ive learned the benefits of presoaking paper towels in oil ahead of time in quantity, lighting thru the lower vent, and adding smoking woods thru the lower vent. why did that take over a decade to learn
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    1. let the smoke clear
    2. cook to temperature
    3. enjoy yourself
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    ...and adding smoking woods thru the lower vent...
    Admittedly, I am a noob, but how are you adding smoking wood through the lower vent?  Is it just sitting there underneath the lump?
  • Always stay well hydrated.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    EagleIII said:
    ...and adding smoking woods thru the lower vent...
    Admittedly, I am a noob, but how are you adding smoking wood through the lower vent?  Is it just sitting there underneath the lump?
    its new to me a week ago, just slid the chips in, seemed to work well with a fire lit from underneath. im just experimenting with it now but try it and see how it works for you, then post about it, theres always something new to learn about these things and the forum can get stuck in a rut with everyone preaching the same things as if they are written in stone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

"everyone preaching the same things as if they are written in stone"

They aren't written in stone? Someone better start chiseling.  I nominate @Mickey for the part of Moses.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

1. Always have a cold beverage at hand.

b. Trust the Egg to do its thing...unless it isn't, then calibrate.

also. Cook to temp not time, unless doing a brisket or pork shoulder, then make sure the probe slides in like buttah!

4. Procure the highest quality dead animals you can.

Oh, and always have a cold beverage at hand, with many more on standby (it was worth saying twice)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings