Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown Question

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    double said:

henapple said:

If bacon isn't an ingredient... I'm oall

ut.

What about PBR as an ingredient??
    All I can say is that it is always involved...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'm cool with anything....as I said before I'm an idea guy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited May 2013
    I'm cool with anything....

So let it be written, so let it be done.  Little Steven has spoken. 

@fletcherfam, you are up for starting the next thread and declaring the rules and the deadline.  After you judge that one, you get to name the judge for the next one.  Until then the burden is yours. 

I hereby pass @henapple's whining about bacon and @Village_Idiot's premature victory speeches on to you - you may do with them as you please. 

Cazzy's grace in victory convinced me I picked the right person and used the right criteria.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    One request though. I would really appreciate it if Cen-Tex, VI and Necessary Indulgences be prohibited from participating. I need a hope in hell of getting at least a show

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    One request though. I would really appreciate it if Cen-Tex, VI and Necessary Indulgences be prohibited from participating. I need a hope in hell of getting at least a show

You're missing the beauty of how I set this up.  Some Throwdowns may be "best brisket" or "best appetizer" or "best plating and margarita picture" so the aforementioned will be strong competition.  But some judges may choose to set up the Throwdown as "Best appetizer cooked with a Canadian mushroom - and all pics must be taken with a portable phone and have a Molson in the background".  Sure, the competition will be unfair for that particular Throwdown - but that's half the fun.  By setting up imaginative, potentially crazy rules we will force people to expand their horizons even more than this site already does. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Just make the required ingredient, whale blubber or moose lips.  Even Centrtal Market doesn't carry that.   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Polar bear testicles? Yáll can come on up and get yerself some

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    I refuse to buy Molson beer...
  • Foghorn
    henapple said:
    I refuse to buy Molson beer...

Maybe you could trade someone 3 PBRs for an empty Molson bottle so you could have it for your pic. 

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    I'll send you a case of Canadian if you use it in your presentation pix

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Um, let's see... Free beer. Send it. I'll send you the empties back. Don't you get cash back? Isn't Grolsh Canadian?
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    OK, so before I start the new thread here are my thoughts on the subject over the weekend:

1. My thought would be to do longer than a week turn around on these, that way people have time to plan/prepare. I know it would be challenging for me to do a week. (thoughts?)
    2. Pictures are required (of course). Pictures must include the following: ingredients, the cook, the finished product/plated, at a minimum.
    3. Point system or voting is the biggest question. What do you guys think?
    4. I will try and solicit prizes, however, if we do every week we may see if we can do a once a month prize as I don't think 4 prizes a month from people/companies is realistic.
    5. Examples of throwdowns would be: Chicken, appetizers, pizza, "X Factor," Brisket, ribs, dessert, breads, pork, "uncommon meats (think rabbit, duck, etc).
    6. It would be sweet if we could do badges on our User IDs for the winners.

Ok let's get the ball rolling and my thought would be to finalize all the details today/tomorrow and the first cook start on this Wednesday and go until the following Sunday, sound good?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Windows 8. There is no settings place. I had a problem earlier and registered for help. I selected Canadian for spelluing and it must have decided I was French Canadian. All of my punctuation marks are now lè accent et gout Lèaccent grave and all that other crap
    Just change to American English, I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but at least the rest of us will understand your posts. No wait - you make more sense with the funny accents. Great idea, sounds fun.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    I think ribs and butts would be tough to judge.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    OK, so before I start the new thread here are my thoughts on the subject over the weekend:

Ok let's get the ball rolling and my thought would be to finalize all the details today/tomorrow and the first cook start on this Wednesday and go until the following Sunday, sound good?

What do you think of having the winner be the judge for the next cook?

I propose the IEEE voting method: Allowing multiple selections per ballot - everyone gets one ballot.  Say there are 3 entries, A, B, C.

one vote for each is a non-vote.
    one vote for A, and not B or C is a strong vote for A.
    one vote for B and C, but not A - is a vote against A.

Then, just tally the totals.  The more entrants, the more you can play with the above. This voting theory avoids the pitfalls of the 'least disliked' winning.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    My computer has a hanging chad.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn

"5. Examples of throwdowns would be: Chicken, appetizers, pizza, "X Factor," Brisket, ribs, dessert, breads, pork, "uncommon meats (think rabbit, duck, etc)."

Sandwich

Finger food you could eat at a campsite with no utensils straight off the egg

Fish

Meat not purchased in a store - must have been hunted or caught

The possibilities are endless. 

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven

1. My thought would be to do longer than a week turn around on these, that way people have time to plan/prepare. I know it would be challenging for me to do a week. (thoughts?)
    2. Pictures are required (of course). Pictures must include the following: ingredients, the cook, the finished product/plated, at a minimum.
    3. Point system or voting is the biggest question. What do you guys think?
    4. I will try and solicit prizes, however, if we do every week we may see if we can do a once a month prize as I don't think 4 prizes a month from people/companies is realistic.
    5. Examples of throwdowns would be: Chicken, appetizers, pizza, "X Factor," Brisket, ribs, dessert, breads, pork, "uncommon meats (think rabbit, duck, etc).
    6. It would be sweet if we could do badges on our User IDs for the winners.

It would be a good idea to close entries Monday midnight, judging Tuesday. That gives folks who are away over the weekend to have a shot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    @LittleSteven, good point,

@sumoconnell, that system is a little hard for my little head to understand on a Monday morning.

On the winner, what about the one with the most "likes" wins?
  • henapple
    The ieee system may require an absolution from alcohol. I can't imagine trying to figure that out on a Monday morning. :((
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    henapple said:

The ieee system may require an absolution from alcohol. I can't imagine trying to figure that out on a Monday morning. :((

Absolution from alcohol?? =))
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    If the judge is a Democrat, I demand a Republican overseer.  In the case of Canada, if a Whig, we demand a Tory.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    If the judge is a Democrat the prize given to the winner will be taken away and split among those that didn't want to cook. Those that finished in the middle are just screwed.
  • henapple
    Sorry
  • Little Steven
    Well we're up to six pages. No throwdown yet but we will get there eventually. If we could find a moderator/forum tech to set up a vote setup we would be half the way there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    OK, so the throw down will start on this Wednesday 5/15 and end 11:59 PM on Monday 5/27 (Memorial Day).

I am thinking about doing the number of "likes" as the winner. This makes it easy @LittleSteven, and maybe we don't need a moderator. I will start a new thread with the details.
  • Little Steven
    Can't we get a few more pages up before you announce it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    @LittleSteven, personally I would like a troll to be involved, 3 more pages, and someone get banned and then we can start :)
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Just adding to the count
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I smell a page 7.....