Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown Question

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    shtgunal3 said:

I like the "vote for the winner" idea. Just my .02

That will make my scheme to bribe the judges very expensive!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I know I can't win, I just want to see recipes and techniques from some of the Jedi's on here

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @little steven... Don't be scared to come down south...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Here is what I think.  It should be a photo and ingredient contest.  Moderator choose a cut / type of meat for that week.  We cook and write a brief description on our dish which has to be submitted by Sunday along with a photo of the dish.  Who ever produced the best photo and ingredient list wins the bragging rights and get to choose the next dish.  For me this is to see different presentation techniques and different ingredients I would never think of. ( If something looks good i will want to try it, i.e. Chicken Bomb) One stipulation the EGG MUST BE INVOLVED IN SOME WAY!

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    If we have a place other than here to submit entries, what about making the contest blind. That way nobody knows who did what.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I'm drinking now, does that count?
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CT You still out there? Trying to stay up another hour to drop a 9 pounder on? Hep me!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

CT You still out there? Trying to stay up another hour to drop a 9 pounder on? Hep me!

I'm up! 8-}
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    @little steven... Don't be scared to come down south...
    thats what she said.
    :))
    One of the best played TWSS I have seen in a while ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Can I just say that this is the funniest damn thread i have ever read? The first day it was up, I was reading it late at night, and was laughing so hard I actually cried. There should be rules/warnings about drinking and posting on the forum... for readers, not posters :) The tears started when LS's computer went all Canadian on him. Tried to tell SWMBO what was going on, but I couldn't get the words out intelligibly. Bookmarked.

Anyways, I think throwdowns would be cool and a lot of fun. Would it be possible to just run each throwdown in its own thread each time, instead of looking for other sites to post pics? I would also suggest/request that the time for the throwdown be increased e.g. 1 week long, but including both weekends on either side of that week. I think it would give people time to participate, and may get more people involved. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    The trouble with the single thread is it would turn into this silliness

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone

What are you talking about??

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Oh damn, here we go.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    I do believe that I heard that silliness is a virtue. I mean this is what I heard,  I think at sheriff school. 
    :-/
  • Little Steven

What are you talking about??

Well, maybe I'm wrong.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

OK. I have a solution. Little Steven may even like it.

One of the great things about this place is that we all have different tastes and skillsets.   Rather than kill ourselves trying to come to consensus about how to do this Throwdown thing let's play that to our advantage. 

I hereby declare myself judge of the first Eggheadforum Throwdown that is represented by this thread.  Each separate Throwdown will have a separate thread.  After the judging of each Throwdown, that judge will declare the judge of the next throwdown - and that judge will be responsible for coming up with the rules for his/her throwdown.  The judge may dictate ingredients - or not.  The judge may choose specific formats for pics - or not.  The judge may choose to use plating and photographic presentation as criteria - or not.  Whatever he/she wants.  The judge must name a date/time for a deadline.

As an example, I value large quantities of good meat, and flexibility in sites and grills/tools.  I think that what Cazzy pulled off this weekend with two different cooks at 3 different sites using multiple grills - including one he had never used before - was remarkable.  He provided the food for a wedding and a Mother's Day feast.  And he knocked it out of the park on both of them.  Therefore, I declare Cazzy the winner of Eggheadforum Throwdown I (That's a Roman numeral 1 like the Super Bowl).

And I name @fletcherfam the judge for Eggheadforum II since he seemed willing to do it in general.

Does that work?  Or have I overstepped my bounds?  I was shooting for "Help Little Steven see his dream of a Throwdown realized" - while taking advantage of our wide variety of assets here. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Cazzy's the winner???  Have you seen my ABT thread??
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    The "bacon shelter" in case it rains on the ABTs is a nice mod but it just didn't get you over the top. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So is this happening or not???? Seems like a fun idea!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Fred19Flintstone

X( X( X(

Just kidding man.  Cazzy's an Egg star!  That's a rock star among eggheads.

Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Foghorn said:

OK. I have a solution. Little Steven may even like it.

One of the great things about this place is that we all have different tastes and skillsets.   Rather than kill ourselves trying to come to consensus about how to do this Throwdown thing let's play that to our advantage. 

I hereby declare myself judge of the first Eggheadforum Throwdown that is represented by this thread.  Each separate Throwdown will have a separate thread.  After the judging of each Throwdown, that judge will declare the judge of the next throwdown - and that judge will be responsible for coming up with the rules for his/her throwdown.  The judge may dictate ingredients - or not.  The judge may choose specific formats for pics - or not.  The judge may choose to use plating and photographic presentation as criteria - or not.  Whatever he/she wants.  The judge must name a date/time for a deadline.

As an example, I value large quantities of good meat, and flexibility in sites and grills/tools.  I think that what Cazzy pulled off this weekend with two different cooks at 3 different sites using multiple grills - including one he had never used before - was remarkable.  He provided the food for a wedding and a Mother's Day feast.  And he knocked it out of the park on both of them.  Therefore, I declare Cazzy the winner of Eggheadforum Throwdown I (That's a Roman numeral 1 like the Super Bowl).

And I name @fletcherfam the judge for Eggheadforum II since he seemed willing to do it in general.

Does that work?  Or have I overstepped my bounds?  I was shooting for "Help Little Steven see his dream of a Throwdown realized" - while taking advantage of our wide variety of assets here. 

I only cooked at 2 different sites, so I'm definitely not worthy of such a predaceous award. Really though, thanks for the kind words Foghorn. Totally undeserved but certainly appreciated! ;)
  • cazzy
    I think Fred should win since he was smart enough to include bacon in his thread!   :D
  • Foghorn

"Just kidding man."

That was clear.  That was actually the funniest thing I have read in a while - (no offense to your ABTS which look awesome)

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    If bacon isn't an ingredient... I'm out.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Did I win?  I'd like to thank my parents for having faith in me, even when I didn't.  I would also like to thank the members of the academy, without whose support I would have never ascended to this level of Eggery.

Finally, I'd like to thank my dear wife, who has stuck with me through all of the failures I realized while trying to perfect my techniques on the Egg.

God bless each of you and God Bless The United States of America !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    henapple said:

If bacon isn't an ingredient... I'm out.

What about PBR as an ingredient??
    Lynnwood WA
  • Foghorn

"What about PBR as an ingredient??"

I was thinking that too.  Or if the challenge was to make individual desserts cooked in sawed off PBR cans...

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Did I win?  I'd like to thank my parents for having faith in me, even when I didn't.  I would also like to thank the members of the academy, without whose support I would have never ascended to this level of Eggery.

Finally, I'd like to thank my dear wife, who has stuck with me through all of the failures I realized while trying to perfect my techniques on the Egg.

God bless each of you and God Bless The United States of America !!!!!

You forgot "You like me!!  You really like me!!!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn

VI, you can save your victory speech for when we have some lame judge that foolishly appreciates really good food presented extremely well with really good pictures. 

For this round I declared myself judge and decided to reward Cazzy for feeding the masses and keeping us apraised of his progress as it happened. 

So, suck up to fletcherfam if you want to win the next round.

San Antonio, TX