Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide baby back ribs

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,669
Vacuum sealed in foodsaver bags with Stubb's hickory bourbon bbq sauce.  Will be in the water bath @ 143F for the next 24 hours and will then finish on the egg for an hour.  I will post pictures of the finished product tomorrow.

imageimage

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Looking forward to the finished report. Is your stovetop induction?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  I can't wait to see how they turn out.  My PolyScience SV unit (same one you got) got shipped 2 hours after I ordered 3 days ago.  "Estimated delivery date: Nov 27"  ARGGGH!!
    No.  I have a Paderno cookware set (alluminium bottom) that I really like.  I would have had to change it because it is not compatible with induction stovetops...

Nice.  I can't wait to see how they turn out.  My PolyScience SV unit (same one you got) got shipped 2 hours after I ordered 3 days ago.  "Estimated delivery date: Nov 27"  ARGGGH!!
    How is that possible?  Where is it shipping from?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    California to New Orleans.  It's just a pessimistic date because it was sent the cheapest possible UPS service - private seller on Amazon.  I'll probably get it late next week.  I buy lots of stuff from Amazon and this isn't the first time I've seen this.  It's psychological punishment from not buying from their featured seller.
    No.  I have a Paderno cookware set (alluminium bottom) that I really like.  I would have had to change it because it is not compatible with induction stovetops...
    Is it the Canadian Paderno or the Italian? I have a couple of pasta pots (Cdn) that are induction rated

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman said:
    Is it the Canadian Paderno or the Italian? I have a couple of pasta pots (Cdn) that are induction rated
    Canadian - Made in PEI

Finished product:

The ribs were on the egg no longer than 20 minutes @ 400F
    The texture was great.  Fall off the bone doneness but still holding together.

Nice.  Was the meat still pink?
    Nice.  Was the meat still pink?
    Somewhat but not as much as I was expecting.

• paqman
    I really wish you had not posted this.  I was happy and content.  Now I must give this a try.  Perhaps there's a way I can do that without spending $400 plus on a unit but that may happen.
    @Baysidebob - I achieved similar results in the past by baking the baby back ribs in a pyrex pan with bbq sauce covered with aluminium foil @ 300F for 3 hours in the kitchen oven and then finishing on the egg for 20 minutes.  Don't take me wrong, the sous vide ribs were great, but there is no way that I would have been sold on sous vide with this.  On the other end, boneless chicken breasts, pork chops, pork tenderloin and beef in general are far superior cooked sous vide.

• The ribs were not as "pink" because there was no smoke! Where's the smoke? Maybe they will perfect the sous vide process with smoke injector in the bubbles inside each bag, kinda like a fish aquarium. 

Looks great. Thanks for sharing - much appreciated. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paqman said:
    I really wish you had not posted this.  I was happy and content.  Now I must give this a try.  Perhaps there's a way I can do that without spending $400 plus on a unit but that may happen.
    @Baysidebob - I achieved similar results in the past by baking the baby back ribs in a pyrex pan with bbq sauce covered with aluminium foil @ 300F for 3 hours in the kitchen oven and then finishing on the egg for 20 minutes.  Don't take me wrong, the sous vide ribs were great, but there is no way that I would have been sold on sous vide with this.  On the other end, boneless chicken breasts, pork chops, pork tenderloin and beef in general are far superior cooked sous vide.

and fish.............out of this world texture
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    The ribs were not as "pink" because there was no smoke! Where's the smoke? Maybe they will perfect the sous vide process with smoke injector in the bubbles inside each bag, kinda like a fish aquarium. 

Looks great. Thanks for sharing - much appreciated. 
    Pork cooked @ 143 will be pinkish.  However, I've put the ribs on the egg @ 400F for 20 minutes so it probably raised the temperature over 165F...  There was no smoke ring but I added apple wood chips and the smoke taste was just perfect.

paqman said:

Apparently it is amazing but I never tried and never will - I don't like fish.  I would love to like it but I just can't...  I try to taste it from time to time; it just doesn't work for me.

Apparently it is amazing but I never tried and never will - I don't like fish.  I would love to like it but I just can't...  I try to taste it from time to time; it just doesn't work for me.
    as weird as it sounds, I hated fish until I started eating sushi. I was the guy getting chicken teriyaki when we went out for sushi with friends. I finally tried a few bites of basic Tuna and Salmon and was hooked. 

I still do not like cooked fish unless it's very simply done- like grilled with salt and pepper. I eat all kinds of sushi though. Even the weird stuff.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX