Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets get back on track

Comments

• No but I do have a visa.
    I'm reporting you to Homeland Security for your shenanigans.  You'll be on the "no fly" list tomorrow.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Getting back on track this weekend cooking up a roast of Emu. Did once before in that square thingamajig occupying a corner spot in the kitchen. Very tender and tasty. Looking forward to the egged version on Saturday.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    As someone who has lurked here for six months before joining this forum, let me add my perspective to the mix. The other day on my introductory post Griffin, whom I know well from another message board, asked me what finally got me to start posting here. Although I gave him a truthful answer I didn't offer the whole story. My introductory post just didn't seem like the appropriate place to do so. This thread however is the perfect place.

What I didn't tell Griffin, was that I really wasn't planning on joining this message board because there was often just too much strife and friction here. While there was a ton of useful information here, It always seemed like there was a danger of a post blowing up in your face for no apparent reason. One example of this I can think of was a thread where people were going at it hammer and tong because somebody had posted an off-topic post in of all places the Off-Topic Post Forum. When I first saw there was an Off-Topic Posts area, I thought what a great idea. Here we have a board full of people sharing the same hobby, they also probably have other similar interests too and what better place to discuss it than in the Off Topic Posts Section. But here I was witnessing a steel cage death match over the fact that someone had actually used the section to put in off-topic post it! Silly me! What I understand even less is why the argument was happening to begin with. Nobody forces anybody to go to any section of this forum.If you don't want to see an off-topic post in the Off-Topic Post forum, don't click on that forum link. So to even get into this argument somebody had to specifically go looking for trouble in the Off-Topic Post area.

When I was researching answers to my BGE questions I would sometimes find threads where people were going at it like the Hatfields and McCoys to prove that they and they alone had THE ONE and ONLY ONE RIGHT answer. Or people would go off on somebody just because they happen to disagree with someone else's opinion. In my personal experience there is often more than one right answer. And forums are great places to discuss different thoughts on solutions to a problem. People can then try out the various solutions presented and see which one(s) works best for them.

My attitude is this whole grilling thing is a hobby for me, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. So I'm not going to go out of my way to do things or visit places that don't contribute to the enjoyment of my hobby. My initial impressions of this place was that it was a high stress area and there was a lot of friction. I really had no plans to join this place because I don't need that kind of aggravation in my life. As I spent more time here and did more research I also found there was a wealth of information here and some very friendly and helpful people here as well. So my attitude gradually changed. Plus I am not a taker. If I take information from some place that is helpful to me, I like to give something back too. And to do that I had to become a member so I could post. I must admit I joined with some fear and trepidation. How would I be received? What if I said something dumb? In many ways I felt like I was walking on eggshells. The whole reason for this attitude was some of the threads that I'd seen that suddenly erupted into flame wars. One of the things I like about the Barbecue Bible message board is it's a great group of people who live and let live. People are actually able to agree to disagree over there about 99 percent of the time.

Another reason I wanted to be able to post is I had one lingering question that I was not able to find the answer to. It was about medium temperature direct grilling. After I posted my question yesterday, I found out I wasn't the only one having problems with this. So actually the answer to this question is helping more than just me,  and I'm very happy for that.

So I just thought I would share with everyone the perspective of a newbie Egger in the summer of 2012, thinking about joining and participating in this message board. Or put another way: what it looks like to someone on the outside looking in. It can be kind of scary. I have been having good luck with my Egg and the prospect of joining was still a bit scary to me. Scary may not be exactly the right term. But I certainly don't want to add more stress and aggravation to my life. Particularly not over a hobby.

Having said that: I just want to say that my own personal experience since joining has been 100 percent positive. People have made me feel welcome, they've encouraged me, had positive things to say about some of my posts and they've answered my questions. So with every day that passes I feel little more like I found a new home. As long as it continues to be fun, I will continue to come back.So thanks to one and all who have made me feel welcome.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I've moderated and administrated web forums for many years (my first was a season one Survivor forum).  I've seen some really ugly stuff go down.  Stuff you would never imagine from an online environment.

The answers to all the problems I've read about, that still continue in this forum today, are found through a clear and consistent leadership in the board.  There doesn't seem to be much presence here, imho.

Regular user/members "self-policing" cross links, or anything else, is a little like Lord of the Flies.... 

Everyone should get back to cooking food.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Well said, Jim.  I know I've been a party in some of the flame wars, but I try to keep it civil.

Although people make jokes about it, I'm sure some of the blame goes to alcohol.  Quite a while back, I did a brief study ( not enough for a scientific conclusion) and it seemed more arguments and flames started in the evening and night times.  Granted, more people are probably signed on at that time; still, there may be a relationship. And, you will probably find that in most forums.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited October 2012
    Regular user/members "self-policing" cross links, or anything else, is a little like Lord of the Flies.... 
    OK, so I gotta respond, as I feel that was meant for me - Lord of the Flies??? REALLY???? That's a bit melodramatic, don't ya think? 

Also, I said more than once in my (total as of right now) 3 posts on the cross-link thing is that he's an adult & can do what he wants, but that others may see it a different way.  I also said I couldn't "force" anyone to do anything, nor was I gonna try to "self-police."  It was merely a suggestion.

However, to get to a broader topic regarding the point you made - that's GREAT that you were the arbiter of all things "Survivor" related.  It's nice that a reality show meant so much in your life that, rather than volunteer your time for a charity, you decided to volunteer it moderating a site about a game show. 

However, while I agree that this site has no "clear & consistent" leadership, I'll disagree that it necessarily "needs" someone like yourself to teach us kiddies how to act appropriately. 

Main case in point:  Craigslist.  For the most part, it is "self-policing" and it works QUITE well.  If someone starts top-posting or spamming, or otherwise posting something completely off-topic in the clearly delineated specifically designated topic areas, the user community takes care of it (and pretty quickly & efficiently, I might add). 

And they do this ALL w/out the need for Craig Newmark (the "Craig" from Craigslist) having to step in & say "alright now, settle down before I get out the belt" (surprise, surprise)

One of the main complaints about the other forum is the "pick & choose" mentality of the mods when it comes to enforcing the rules.  They even admitted in writing that they viewed themselves as "benevolent dictators" regarding policing the site.  As such, nepotism, favoritism, cliqueishness, and outright discrimination of one person over the other can occur in such situations.  I believe that I'd rather have the community-as-a-whole work toward solving the problems, than 1 or 2 overlords inconsistently enforcing rules on some folks but not others.

JMHO
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I've moderated and administrated web forums for many years (my first was a season one Survivor forum).  I've seen some really ugly stuff go down.  Stuff you would never imagine from an online environment.

The answers to all the problems I've read about, that still continue in this forum today, are found through a clear and consistent leadership in the board.  There doesn't seem to be much presence here, imho.

Everyone should get back to cooking food.
    I agree. Most are Ralph's, some are Jack Merridew's. We all need to get back to smoking pork, not dropping rocks(or trying to prevent this) on Piggy's head.

Thanks for the awesome analogy!
  • MaskedMarvel
    edited October 2012
    OK, so I gotta respond, as I feel that was meant for me - Lord of the Flies??? REALLY???? That's a bit melodramatic, don't ya think? 

Also, I said more than once in my (total as of right now) 3 posts on the cross-link thing is that he's an adult & can do what he wants, but that others may see it a different way.  I also said I couldn't "force" anyone to do anything, nor was I gonna try to "self-police."  It was merely a suggestion.
    >>>snip<<<

JMHO
    Perfect example of my point - 

I wasn't talking about you at all dude.  Chill.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Perfect example of my point - 

MM - I read the whole thread, and the first mention of cross-links was from Richard, and I was the only other person to respond to it. 

So, by logical deduction, your post either had to be about my response, or Richard's. 

I usually try to quote who I'm responding to, or directly use their username (in this case, I said "MM" for "MaskedMarvel" and also quoted you) - that way, NOBODY would get confused as to who I'm responding to. 

If your post wasn't "talking about me at all dude" - then I'm curious, just who was it talking about?  Do tell, inquiring minds wanna know :-B
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I went to a hockey game the other night, and a BGE forum broke out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2012
    =)) @Village_Idiot. Good one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MaskedMarvel

Perfect example of my point - 

MM - I read the whole thread, and the first mention of cross-links was from Richard, and I was the only other person to respond to it. 

So, by logical deduction, your post either had to be about my response, or Richard's. 

I usually try to quote who I'm responding to, or directly use their username (in this case, I said "MM" for "MaskedMarvel" and also quoted you) - that way, NOBODY would get confused as to who I'm responding to. 

If your post wasn't "talking about me at all dude" - then I'm curious, just who was it talking about?  Do tell, inquiring minds wanna know :-B
    nah.  It's good enough that I can just say it wasn't about you.  

Why don't you take your vitriol pill and read Jim's post about why new members feel hesitant to participate here.  Non of us should feel like we have to walk on egg shells because a few members have knee-jerk reactions, like your response to my post.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Well said, Jim.  I know I've been a party in some of the flame wars, but I try to keep it civil.

Although people make jokes about it, I'm sure some of the blame goes to alcohol.  Quite a while back, I did a brief study ( not enough for a scientific conclusion) and it seemed more arguments and flames started in the evening and night times.  Granted, more people are probably signed on at that time; still, there may be a relationship. And, you will probably find that in most forums.
    Sound like folks are drinkin' early today eh buddy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Has anyone noticed that the "let's get back on track" thread has gotten way off track??

Hey- anyone else love the frozen lamb from Trader Joes? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sound like folks are drinkin' early today eh buddy
    Yesh, I was just thinken that.  I almost spilled my Cuba Libre I was laffing so hard.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nah.  It's good enough that I can just say it wasn't about you.  

Why don't you take your vitriol pill and read Jim's post about why new members feel hesitant to participate here.  Non of us should feel like we have to walk on egg shells because a few members have knee-jerk reactions, like your response to my post.

Fair enough - point taken regarding Jim's post.

However, since we're trading unsolicited advice - how about being a man & saying what you mean directly to the person you're wanting to say it to, rather than taking cheap drive-by anonymous crack-shots & then saying "it wasn't about you" when called to the carpet about it? 

Fair enough? 

And w/ that, I'll take my vitriol pill, and promise to post some cooking pics this weekend... Peace
    :x
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Short rib! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MaskedMarvel
    nah.  It's good enough that I can just say it wasn't about you.  

Fair enough - point taken regarding Jim's post.

However, since we're trading unsolicited advice - how about being a man & saying what you mean directly to the person you're wanting to say it to, rather than taking cheap drive-by anonymous crack-shots & then saying "it wasn't about you" when called to the carpet about it? 

Fair enough? 

And w/ that, I'll take my vitriol pill, and promise to post some cooking pics this weekend... Peace
    :x
    It wasn't directed at anyone in particular.  It was used an an example of ALL the points in this thread (the "or whatever" part of my post) should be rules established and maintained by the forum administrators and moderators and not the members.

My input in this thread is just as valuable as anyone's and is neither "cheap" nor "drive by" compared to yours, or anyone else's.  I'm just going to ignore you from now on.  Disappointing, since I like your cooks...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Has anyone noticed that the "let's get back on track" thread has gotten way off track??

Hey- anyone else love the frozen lamb from Trader Joes? 

I have! It's good to clear the air but to see what just happened a few posts above is exactly the reason why I posted this thread. Ugh!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • "If they want to remain split from this site, that's their choice, but the way I see it, choices have consequences.  Part of that means that their site won't get all the newbies who are buying new Eggs & signing up.  That is, unless folks like you continue linking to the site from here. "

HH- It goes a little deeper than that. It was before my time, but it's my understanding that site WAS eggheadforum.com  and was privately maintained and funded by loyal eggheads for many years. When BGE corporate wanted their own forum, instead of building one from the ground up, they came in and took the name. ported all the info to this site and used all their info to create this forum. That is BGE's right as it is their trademark, but they never did want to be split from the corporate forum. They WERE the forum. I understand why they are a bit sensitive to the corporate forum. Some very loyal eggheads were left feeling quite screwed over and remain jilted to this day. I prefer this forum but totally understand the way they feel about it. 

Maybe some of the OG's can chime in if I am wrong but that's the way I understand it
    That's not quite right.  It was privately maintained, but it did receive some financial support from BGE corporate (albeit from what I was told, not very much).  I do not know who originally owned/paid for, etc the domain name "eggheadforum.com" or who originally set it up.  In fact, Brenda Miller, one of the original ppl instrumental in making ANY BGE related forum, is a moderator over here at this forum now (or at least involved behind the scenes in some capacity). 

Nevertheless, using the BGE name, the logos, the branding, etc are *ALL* BGE Corp intellectual property, and any private person who thinks they are "entitled" to any share of that had to find out the cold hard realities of "it's just business" - unfortunately. 

For *whatever* reason, BGE corp decided to upgrade / make a new forum (this one).  I was there on the old forum when it was rolled out.  It didn't go very well.  From a PR standpoint, BGE corp blew it, quite frankly.  They didn't do any sort of announcing, no questions asked or advice sought of the established members - it's like one day BGE corp just woke up & said "ok, here's the new site, take it or leave it."

As you can understand, that didn't sit too well w/ many folks.  In fact, at the time, I could not understand why many of the "old guard" got upset or protective over the "old site" because I just thought it was a natural progression (at the time I didn't realize the back story & history).  In fact, I thought "wow, a new site - everyone will happily start using it" (boy, was I wrong)!!

Anyway, that caused quite a rift, and some folks swore to never visit this site, as they felt slighted by BGE corp.  I'm not gonna say they should or should not feel slighted, but the end result is that they wanted to keep the "old" site up & running, and do it 100% privately & through member donations & selling ads.  As I said, that's their choice, but as such, they should not be entitled to free advertising on this site, in my OPINION. 
    got it. Sounds like a good time. I don't mind it but that's just me.

in some ways the forums mimic those stupid survival reality type shows. used to be the old regime, cliques forming, pouncing attacks, then a new forum spins off it, members complaining about the old and new, now we have the newer old regime here striking out against some of the oldtimers that drifted here, sometimes attacking newbies, almost like cliques forming again, it seems to be a viscous cycle
    :))

Great post and so true.  Some people have become what they hated.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    What happened to Lizziestamps grilling her iPhone posts those were funny. I enjoyed the all night group cook ones that were going a whilst back.
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    double said:
    What happened to Lizziestamps grilling her iPhone posts those were funny. I enjoyed the all night group cook ones that were going a whilst back.
    I think she gave up or is taking a break.  She was growing tired of all the drama.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    as long as i get the last word on everything - i have no issues
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Can't have it @XLBalco. ;)

Out of here in 30 minutes and I can fire up the Egg and hit the Dack Janiels.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• XLBalco said:
    As long as your last word is "Yes sir", I'm good with it.  

=))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    XLBalco said:

=))

:))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There is some drama but like someone complaining about newbies posting pics of their 2nd butt...if you don't like it, they make a little thing called a mouse which allows you to scroll.
    My experience here has been great. I've learned as much about cooking as I have the egg. As in life there are D-bags on here. I've been blasted a few times but water off a ducks back. I posted about a mangled Weber I saw on the road and I disrespected wgww. Sure some of the old timers tire of the same questions. I google and search before asking but sometimes can't find the answer or the answer is from 2007....might be new info. I appreciate those that are supportive of us newbs and sharing.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    XLBalco said:

=))

As long as it is in reponse to "Balco you are my hero"

:)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    last! ;)