Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok or not

muttin
muttin Posts: 45
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I see a lot of people useing a WOK on the egg. we do a lot of stir fry at my house and am wondering if i should buy one. does that food turn out better wehn cooked on the egg and in a WOK or is it just funner to cook ? i have never used a WOK at all just mainly use a pan on the stove at this point

Comments

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    A wok with a high heat source makes all the difference in the world. Go for it. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Stir frying with a wok on an Egg will give much better results, if done properly.  However, I've seen a lot of cooks that are not taking advantage of the abilities of this combination.

Stir frying should be done at a very high temperature and fast.  The theory is that nutrients will be kept in and there will be more flavor.  This is called The Breath Of The Wok (or Wok Hai).  A stove cannot achieve a high enough temperature.  I see quite a few people actually sautéing their meal (mainly by overfilling their wok or having too low a temperature), thinking they are stir frying.  Professional Chinese chefs stir fry at temperatures 20 times hotter than a normal stove will get.

I would suggest that you buy Grace Young's book, Breath Of A Wok or Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge.  I think she would convince you.

If you decide to go with this, I would also suggest getting a Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store and a carbon steel wok from The Wok Shop in San Francisco.  Mrs. Tran is very familiar with Eggheads.

I helped Richard FL put together a list of suggestions for using a wok a few months ago.  

1WOK TIPS:
    2Assuming that you have your wok seasoned and ready to cook, let’s wok & woll!
    3Mis En Place:
    4Is to have all of your ingredients chopped up, and put in separate bowls (meat/poultry, veggies, sauce or ingredients for same). In order of how they go in the wok. The cook is so fast, you don’t have time to look for something.
    5Put wok on hot BGE 450F-600F, heat and let sit 30-60 seconds. Some like to use a spider up or down position depending on what is cooking. With EGGsperience you will get comfortable doing it your way. There is not a good or bad method.
    6You know when the wok is ready when a drop of water dances.
    7Now you are ready to add a tablespoon or so of oil. I use peanut oil (for the higher burning point), but some like grape seed or canola.
    8Don't pour your oil into a cold wok or your food will stick. Let the oil get hot, a minutes or so, test by adding a piece of meat/poultry. When it sizzles I add the rest of the meat. Swirling the oil around the wokto get the oil on the sides, at least high enough to where the food is going to be.
    9Depending on how much you are cooking you may do this in batches. I add just enough food to cover the metal surface halfway up the sides. IMHO this allows maximum surface contact for rapid searing. When done remove to a separate bowl.
    10Next do the vegetables, Cut your veggies on the diagonal so there is more surface area. Depending on what is being cooked.
    11I may do the veggies separately or a few at a time. If steaming, you just need a lid for the wok. Again the goal is to cook, but not OVERCOOK. Remove them to the bowl with the first batch.
    12Unless you are trying to sear meat, keep the ingredients moving with a spatula at all times. This will allow even cooking and sealing of nutrients.
    13At this point some will add everything back into the wok and add the pre-made sauce. I prefer to make the sauce in the wok and then add everything else back into the wok and stir to coat. This also keeps the meal from getting over cooked.
    14If you do not have a surface that will take hot woks without doing damage, buy a wok ring and keep it right next to your egg. It will keep your hot wok from burning the table surface after removing the wokfrom the egg.
    15Unless you are using a wok with a wooden handle, a proper set of high heat gloves is highly recommended.
    16Happy Wokking!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    A Wok with really high heat produces much better food than what you can achieve trying stir fry in a pan on a conventional stove.  The shape of the pan, and the way gets ultra hot in the center and cooler on the sides lets you do things you can't in a pan on the stove.

As for doing it on the egg?  I prefer my propane fired deep fry cooker.  I turn it on and 3 minutes later I am cooking, and 5 minutes later I shut it off.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Cowdogs, I fabricated a wok holder for my turkey burner long time ago.  First time I used it I poured in the oil, forgot something and quickly ran inside.  Gone maybe 30-45 seconds.  When I got back to the wok, the oil had ignited......surprise..........quick  lesson on burner does not need to be open all the way......lol

Two factiods about wokking in ceramics.  First, takes the smoke and smells out of the house.  Two, it's a fun different cook from grilling or bbqing.  t     
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

muttin I ended up tossing my big wok for the Large as I just did not / could not use well for some reason (reason= me). It just rusted and got tossed.

When I got into Mini's I love the mini wok and for some reason I can use it to wok and deep fry with no problems. It had to be the size and I just liked the smaller better.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Village Idiot is the resident expert here at woking (and Richard FL). Listen to anything they have to say. That's the only reason I know anything about it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Cowdogs said:
    A Wok with really high heat produces much better food than what you can achieve trying stir fry in a pan on a conventional stove.  The shape of the pan, and the way gets ultra hot in the center and cooler on the sides lets you do things you can't in a pan on the stove.

As for doing it on the egg?  I prefer my propane fired deep fry cooker.  I turn it on and 3 minutes later I am cooking, and 5 minutes later I shut it off.
    +1, Wokking on the egg is a fun way to cook, but I prefer the gas burner approach. Most non-professional gas stoves, or electric coil stoves do not have enough heat to successfully wok. Forget about using the glass top ceramics, they are suitable for steaming and boiling water if you have the time to wait. 
    Woks need to have a rounded bottom, the flat bottomed ones will work, but are meant to be used on a conventional stove (coil top or gas). Using a ring on a conventional stove often does damage to the stove top. I like a long handle on the wok, makes it easy and fast to dump the contents without looking for oven mitts or spooning the food out. The spatula used should also have a rounded mouth, it needs to fit the wok.
    The number one rule is that the cook does all the work of cutting and chopping, the "eaters" only need chop sticks because everything is already cut into bite size pieces. All of the ingredients must be ready to go as soon as you start, woks, unlike the egg are not so forgiving. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cowdogs said:

+1, Wokking on the egg is a fun way to cook, but I prefer the gas burner approach. Most non-professional gas stoves, or electric coil stoves do not have enough heat to successfully wok. Forget about using the glass top ceramics, they are suitable for steaming and boiling water if you have the time to wait. 
    Woks need to have a rounded bottom, the flat bottomed ones will work, but are meant to be used on a conventional stove (coil top or gas). Using a ring on a conventional stove often does damage to the stove top. I like a long handle on the wok, makes it easy and fast to dump the contents without looking for oven mitts or spooning the food out. The spatula used should also have a rounded mouth, it needs to fit the wok.
    The number one rule is that the cook does all the work of cutting and chopping, the "eaters" only need chop sticks because everything is already cut into bite size pieces. All of the ingredients must be ready to go as soon as you start, woks, unlike the egg are not so forgiving. 
    +1  I use a turkey fryer (down here in Louisiana we call 'em crawfish boilers). 

It's ready to go in a couple minutes, gets way hotter than the egg, can lower the heat in seconds (egg takes a while) and, at least for wok hei, the food isn't in the wok long enough to pick up the smoke from the fire - the smokey taste comes from the hot oil. 

Also, it might take 4 pounds of lump ($2-3) to cook a meal in the egg, while the amount of propane used is negligible. You can buy the burner/regulator for about $25, and if you have an egg, you probably have a propane tank laying around.

And in Corpus Christi, we called 'em shrimp boilers.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:

And in Corpus Christi, we called 'em shrimp boilers.
    I'd have to sell my house to get enough shrimp for my turkey fryer, but I've cooked many a mud bug in it.  Never have fried a turkey, but I've eaten them and they are excellent.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    I'll stick with boiling water and eating my crawfish and shrimp. ;)  Insurance companies hate turkey fryers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBD0EqQGoU

imageimage
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    for the money a wok is one of the best pans out there

everyone should have an outdoor burner, heres a newengland mudbug cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    yum!

Stir frying should be done at a very high temperature and fast.  The theory is that nutrients will be kept in and there will be more flavor.  This is called The Breath Of The Wok (or Wok Hai).  A stove cannot achieve a high enough temperature.  I see quite a few people actually sautéing their meal (mainly by overfilling their wok or having too low a temperature), thinking they are stir frying.  Professional Chinese chefs stir fry at temperatures 20 times hotter than a normal stove will get.

I would suggest that you buy Grace Young's book, Breath Of A Wok or Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge.  I think she would convince you.

If you decide to go with this, I would also suggest getting a Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store and a carbon steel wok from The Wok Shop in San Francisco.  Mrs. Tran is very familiar with Eggheads.

I helped Richard FL put together a list of suggestions for using a wok a few months ago.  

1WOK TIPS:
    2Assuming that you have your wok seasoned and ready to cook, let’s wok & woll!
    3Mis En Place:
    4Is to have all of your ingredients chopped up, and put in separate bowls (meat/poultry, veggies, sauce or ingredients for same). In order of how they go in the wok. The cook is so fast, you don’t have time to look for something.
    5Put wok on hot BGE 450F-600F, heat and let sit 30-60 seconds. Some like to use a spider up or down position depending on what is cooking. With EGGsperience you will get comfortable doing it your way. There is not a good or bad method.
    6You know when the wok is ready when a drop of water dances.
    7Now you are ready to add a tablespoon or so of oil. I use peanut oil (for the higher burning point), but some like grape seed or canola.
    8Don't pour your oil into a cold wok or your food will stick. Let the oil get hot, a minutes or so, test by adding a piece of meat/poultry. When it sizzles I add the rest of the meat. Swirling the oil around the wokto get the oil on the sides, at least high enough to where the food is going to be.
    9Depending on how much you are cooking you may do this in batches. I add just enough food to cover the metal surface halfway up the sides. IMHO this allows maximum surface contact for rapid searing. When done remove to a separate bowl.
    10Next do the vegetables, Cut your veggies on the diagonal so there is more surface area. Depending on what is being cooked.
    11I may do the veggies separately or a few at a time. If steaming, you just need a lid for the wok. Again the goal is to cook, but not OVERCOOK. Remove them to the bowl with the first batch.
    12Unless you are trying to sear meat, keep the ingredients moving with a spatula at all times. This will allow even cooking and sealing of nutrients.
    13At this point some will add everything back into the wok and add the pre-made sauce. I prefer to make the sauce in the wok and then add everything else back into the wok and stir to coat. This also keeps the meal from getting over cooked.
    14If you do not have a surface that will take hot woks without doing damage, buy a wok ring and keep it right next to your egg. It will keep your hot wok from burning the table surface after removing the wokfrom the egg.
    15Unless you are using a wok with a wooden handle, a proper set of high heat gloves is highly recommended.
    16Happy Wokking!

I don't think there is a better source for wokking on your egg on the planet than VI. He may be full of $hit on other matters, but he is cash money when it comes to this subject :D
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • "It's ready when a drop of water dances" or "It's ready when the oil begins to smoke".  Got this for less than $13 on Amazon and wouldn't be without it for stone, griddle or wok.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • He may be full of $hit on other matters, but he is cash money when it comes to this subject :D
    Huh?  :-O

:))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    He may be full of $hit on other matters, but he is cash money when it comes to this subject :D

Is this a PLUS 1 for someone :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    He may be full of $hit on other matters, but he is cash money when it comes to this subject :D

Is this a PLUS 1 for someone :-t
    Of course that was all in good fun. As a dude, I find it hard to pay someone a straight compliment.  :))
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't think there is a better source for wokking on your egg on the planet than VI. He may be full of $hit on other matters, but he is cash money when it comes to this subject :D
    Flag on the play, Unnecessary roughness. 15 yard penalty. Repeat first down.
    =))

Rowlett, Texas

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I personally would take that as a compliment!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba said:
    I personally would take that as a compliment!
    Knowing our background I'm sure he did. Just wanted to make sure everyone else knew I was just yanking his chain a little.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I think everyone does. While I am new to the community, you can quickly tell that everyone here is here to be happy and not to be mad :). That is what has made it such fun.

Wish I was going to be able to make it to Eggtoberfest to meet some of you guys but didn't get tix in time. Only 2 hours away with family in Atlanta so I will make it next year.

Wow this really took a turn away from wok cooking :)).
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Who is this VI guy people keep talking about.  He sounds like a real turd.   :-?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• muttin

thank you guys for all the help you made up my mind time to buy a WOK and spider ring

love this forum

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    tjv said:
    Cowdogs, I fabricated a wok holder for my turkey burner long time ago.  First time I used it I poured in the oil, forgot something and quickly ran inside.  Gone maybe 30-45 seconds.  When I got back to the wok, the oil had ignited......surprise..........quick  lesson on burner does not need to be open all the way......lol

Two factiods about wokking in ceramics.  First, takes the smoke and smells out of the house.  Two, it's a fun different cook from grilling or bbqing.  t     
    OK Tom.  How much?  :)  
    I'll send you the diameter of my turkey fryer ring I would think you could make one to fit.  

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    ive deep fried in my wok on the mini more than I have wok'd. Cant beat it outdoors to boot no smells.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:
    ive deep fried in my wok on the mini more than I have wok'd. Cant beat it outdoors to boot no smells.
    careful there...................one wrong bump and POOF! you got one hell of a fire on your hands
  • Just got my wok and spider from ceramic grill store today and can't wait to get my veg on!
  • muttin
    so on my large BGE what size WOK do i get ?