Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has this happen to anyone else?

Options
brycos
brycos Posts: 137
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Last night I was sitting on my patio watching the game, smoking a cigar and thinking about the great weekend cooks that had been.  I heard some noises that made me think a mouse had gotten into my table - under the cover.  So I pull off the cover and open the bottom drawers - nothing.  Open the left door and remove the propane tanks - nothing. Open the right door and don't see anything at first but I can hear it.  It's dark. I've got my flashlight and with the shadows it created I couldn't see anything very well due to all the clutter that was in there.  Then I saw something that looked like a rope, but I hadn't put a rope in there.  Upon further inspection, the rope had evenly spaced ridges like a stack of donuts would have except they got smaller as they ascended.  Then I thought I've got a rat - so I go to get a gun but which one.  The .357 is a bit messy not to mention the hole it would put in my table, .22 the same just on a smaller scale.  So I decide on my son's BB gun.  When I get back outside, I open the door slowly, cocked-gun in hand, shine the light in and - wait - that's not a rat it's a friggin' possum!  What the... - How the ...  A possum?!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Indirect about 40 minutes a pound at 300*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Nope, can't say that I have.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Awww, they're so cute...like Freddy Kruger is cute.
    Options
    Priceless!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Do you wrap yours? Really been wanting to try that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Options

Plate setter legs up?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• brycos
    Options

I'm trying to post pics- taking forever to upload.  I was hoping Stike would show up and give me some pointers on dry-aging a possum primal.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Can't get enough of them myself

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've had quite a few possums (in the middle of Houston), mostly trying to eat the eggs of my chickens.  I've killed several with a .22, but decided I've killed way more than my share of animals in my lifetime.  So, I bought a live trap.

I caught 5 possums, and 8 wild cats from my next door neighbor feeding them.  They all live in a nice wooded area about 6 miles from my home now.  None have found their way back.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

X_X

For some of you ^^ there is no hope at all.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    LMMFAO! Aww...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Can't get enough of them myself

Nice plating. I'm off to find me a possum!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    We've had many generations of possums living around our house.  They don't hurt anything so we just don't mind them.  Our cats don't care about them, and if they (and they have) manage to find themselves in our neighbor's yard (6 misfit rescue dogs - yep, the vegetarians), they, uh, get shredded.  They've been around a lot longer than we have.
    Options
    So, tell the truth, on this back yard safari, once you realized what you were dealing with, didn't you wish you had gone with at least the .22?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've culled my share of invasive pests.  Nutria. (crap - and a few hundred water moccasins)  They were imported and escaped from fur farms, and now they're causing massive erosion by eating the plants that keep the marshes from becoming open sea/lake in Louisiana.  Giant evil gerbil creatures....40 pound rats.  If you watched the Princess Bride - ROUS (rodents of unusual size).  They're just trying to survive.  I slayed many through a scope and .22 long.  Never been a hunter though, but I'll buy from a butcher.  Personal choice.  Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the invasive gerbil....
    Yep.  Big rats with orange teeth.  I've killed a few myself.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• hartofatiger
    Options
    Get rid of it.  Kill or live trap.  I had a bunch under my house a few years back.  They actually have a scent sack like a skunk, and it is an aweful smell!  Live trap with cat food, and then to the woods.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Make sure to cook them to a high temperature since they eat trash. You want to make sure you kill all the bacteria and harmful stuff. Just like bears.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• brycos
    Options

Pics. The first is just to show the lay-out of my table (and my red-headed step-child).

2nd pic is drops of blood in the bottom right drawer. (after second shot)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    brycos said:

Pics. The first is just to show the lay-out of my table (and my red-headed step-child).

I think the V-Rack is an excelent idea. That way you can get a good crisp skin all the way around
  • brycos
    Options
    So, tell the truth, on this back yard safari, once you realized what you were dealing with, didn't you wish you had gone with at least the .22?
    I didn't want to risk putting a hole in the table.  There has been some reports of rabid raccoons in the area that I was alittle concerned about.  But after the first shot I knew this wasn't rabid. 
  • brycos
    Options
    brycos said:

I think the V-Rack is an excelent idea. That way you can get a good crisp skin all the way around
    yeah if he'd only died right there on the rack I could've thrown him on right away.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    "Honey quick.  Call that Chinese restaurant down the road."
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hope you were smoking a Tatuaje Coronu...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 1cajuncook
    Options
    Possum, the other white meat.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.