Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Forum-Why are you here?? - looking for inputs.

13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    Sink hole thread WAYCTD is working its was to page two, good job folks!

dont worry....jonessteve will rescue the thread.... ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,998
    Sink hole thread WAYCTD is working its was to page two, good job folks!

Sure does make you wonder, doesn't it? And being the first Friday seeing some folks only show up on the weekends.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,783
    I joined back in 2014 when I got my large for Christmas. I enjoy all the great meals that are posted here and the great people who cook them. If it wasn't for this forum I would have never known where or how to replace my gasket but @RRP made it very easy. I too wish this place was as active as it was when I first joined. Hopefully it will be so again.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 330
    Everybody gotta be somewhere
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,245
    Too many quality cooks are piled up in the what are you chefing thread. I personally think it’s a forum killer.  The amount of actual cooking threads has greatly diminished over the years. This place used to have a good mix of quality cooking threads and every day BS. It feels more like Reddit now. 
    ^^ this. I'll post tonight's cook later ... rotisserie chicken with poutine. :) 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,784
    Stormbringer said:

with poutine 
    👀👀

I'd like to see more recipes. Please, if you post something food with a photo in any thread, c'mon... tell us how it's done. We can always use it as a bad example, granted, that's not likely.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,413
    I joined in 17. Wanted to see what others cooked and how they did it, which doesn't seem limited. I've also learnt alot more than expected, not just pertaining the egg.  The folks on the forum are like a good neighborhood making most feel welcome. I'm not much of a writer and definitely not a typist so long post are not my gig. That being said sorry for the 263 post I left WAYCTD I will post no mo.
    I believe I found what I was looking for.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,786
    I joined in mid 2018. I had had my XL BGE for about 8-10 months. I’d only done three things on it. Brisket, pork butts and babybacks. I believe I chased a recipe here. Enjoyed it, joined. 

I’ve stayed for the banter, the camaraderie and the epic cooks. The traffic here has definitely slowed down, maybe we’re just in a lull
  • Stormbringer
    edited February 4
    I was thinking more about this and what @DoubleEgger said. SWMBO is part of a book club, there is a regular thread about what people are going to read (future tense) that weekend. Then there are book specific reviews that lead to discussions.

I think that the original intent of the "what are you chef-ing tonight" thread was to let folks know what what going to be cooked that evening or weekend (future tense) to provide some culinary inspiration for others during COVID. Whether that's the case or not, it turned into a "what did I cook tonight / yesterday" thread, i.e. past tense.

Having individual threads for cooks is great for discovery and threaded discussion. If @The Cen-Tex Smoker's classic double cut pork chops cook was buried inside a generic thread, I'd never have found it. 

On a sidenote, the chicken and poutine got cancelled last night but braising lamb shanks in a red wine sauce with mushrooms and bacon tonight for sure. That's going up.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    edited February 4
    On another note, and this has probably been talked about elsewhere, I really don't like the new forum homepage. IMHO It is a barrier to entry for me, and will be to new people finding the forum. As a first time visitor, if I see just ten threads, I'll leave. 

To give some context, when I used to come on of a Saturday morning there was a long list of topics that had happened on a Friday night to read, from the main Egghead forum and the various cookbook threads, all mixed into one, i.e. an aggregated view of discussions in descending date/time order. Now I see 10 threads with no option to scroll to see the next 10. I guess I could click on the Egghead Forum but then I'm just seeing that forum, I need to go looking in other forums to find out what's new. But that's a lot of clicking. It would be a lot better IMHO if the homepage either had more topics listed or I could scroll through them. I'd prefer the former.

EDIT: found the discussions view. Not exactly obvious but now bookmarked as my point of entry.

• Stormbringer
    lousubcap said:
    I personally committed after @DoubleEgger's comments of a couple of days ago.  My challenge is to cook something worthy... =)
    Brisket. Job done. :D

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,657
    This may not be what you are looking for - but I will explain why I rarely post - although I still lurk.

When I started participating, I was semi-retired and had a lot of available time.  At some point several years ago, I took on a consulting project, fell in love with the organization and mission and took a full time job. I just don’t have as much free time to cook or post.  

Like most, I joined originally to learn and share experiences.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 779
    I joined after lurking a few years for the general knowledge and cooking knowledge. 2014 or so. I would avoid stuff and people I didn't like/agree with when it became too much. It seems some people can't do that, but it also would be hard to be very active here if you are constantly beaten down. The ones in the fringe read that stuff and pick a side it seems without posting. I stay around for the same knowledge and skip over the same posters. I do miss the community aspect even though I wasn't involved. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    Bump for the background discussion about the vacuum effect of the WAYCTD thread. 
    Remember- I am old and have a lawn that has been mowed in CY 2024.  Climate change has had a near term impact.  (Earliest cut for as long as I have been tracking-back to I am old... B) .)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    I am one of the people who used to post regularly and I no longer do.  Today is the 4th of July and it used to be that on a day like this- a big day to cook outside- there would be lots of posts related to cooking plans.  The planning posts would even start a few days in advance.  I came here today to read those, and to post my own.  I have been checking on and off and the posts I have seen are not about cooks.  My post about my cook has fallen down the 'most recent' list without any comments.

I dont like the facebook groups because there isn't enough back and forth like we used to have here.  People mostly post their cook and there isn't much discussion, or a newbie asks a beginners question.  I miss the resource that this used to be- where experienced cooks could learn from each other.  If anyone has any ideas how to get this back there, or knows of another resource, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,010
    edited July 4
    Hi @booksw, I remember you. If you are talking about the lack of response to your 'Beef Rib lessons' post I can explain...
    Since the forum restructuring, most of us don't bother visiting the forum main page, instead we dive straignt into the drilled down "Egghead Forum" page. Your post didn't make it to the more popular list because it's in the specific 'Beef' category instead of the general category.

I had to click on your profile to dig up your beef rib thread.

Edit: We avoid the user unfriendly main page because it shows only the ten most recent posts.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    Solid detective work @Canugghead.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • He really does love solving things. I figure he’s a retired PI but just won’t admit it. 
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    Ah!  Good to know- I will see if I can move/repost it... thanks @Canugghead!
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,309
    @Booksw , at @Canugghead nailed it.  Egghead main thread or bust.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,010
    This forum ideosyncrasy could be a reason forum traffic is dying? How do you expect new members to find their way around? @The_Buffalo and Dan, can you hear us?
    canuckland