Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Forum-Why are you here?? - looking for inputs.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,010
    We need wildman and the two lits  =) 
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,123
    1/2” steaks lol. What’s not funny about that?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,123
    I don’t think that guy ever posted again so…
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,671
    I joined this forum in 2011 judging by my first thread. Though I had been on the old forum before. I signed on because I had bought a medium Egg and wanted to more about it. Yes it is about 10 or 12 people posting. The rest got tired of the Flying Monkeys. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    Thanks for the feedback to date.  Frictionless conduit here and intentionally not a Friday. B)
    I'm hoping HQ will give the posts a hard look. 
    I think @DoubleEgger 's comments here merit action. "Too many quality cooks are piled up in the what are you chefing thread. I personally think it’s a forum killer.  The amount of actual cooking threads has greatly diminished over the years. This place used to have a good mix of quality cooking threads and every day BS. It feels more like Reddit now. "
    Upon further review, looking into the way ahead in trying to attract and retain more participants, individual cook threads need to be the norm rather than the exception.  This gives those not familiar with the forum a way to see and then post great cooks as stand-alone events. 
    I am guilty of using the WAYCD thread  for 90%+ of anything I deem of value here.  no comment on the other 10%.  B)
    More comments encouraged. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 699

maybe if the main page had more than 10 threads on it one might find other things.

five of them long running ones:
    what are you doing
    cooking
    buying
    cars
    pets 

I'm also guilty of posting in the WAYCD thread as its sort of convenient.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,115
    lousubcap said:
    Upon further review, looking into the way ahead in trying to attract and retain more participants, individual cook threads need to be the norm rather than the exception.  This gives those not familiar with the forum a way to see and then post great cooks as stand-alone events. 
    I am guilty of using the WAYCD thread  for 90%+ of anything I deem of value here.  no comment on the other 10%.  B)
    More comments encouraged. 
    I'd stated previously that I only post non-Egg cooks in the WAYCD that are interesting, and I'll make a separate post for an Egg cook that might be interesting/with recipe/etc; if I just do a normal rack of ribs I don't bother.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• lousubcap
    edited February 1
    @danhoo - on the opening page banner select Forums then select Egghead Forum, the Main Egghead Forum will open with a full main page listings.  FWIW-
    And I agree- the opener should be the hook!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,309
    WeberWho said:
    It's the people that keep me here to be completely honest. Most people here would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. I've met some absolutely fantastic and close friends because of it. 

I can see how the politics and multiple fake accounts can be tiresome and could push people away from posting/visiting. 

The real issue is social media. Who joins a corporate forum nowadays when you have Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram? Who asks questions when you can find an answer on YouTube or a Tiktok video. Buyers are getting younger and aren't looking to join a corporate forum for answers. Too many other options out there. 

That is depressing.  What happens when everything is a YouTube video and nobody does anything new or cool?  We might as well let entropy win.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    WeberWho said:
    It's the people that keep me here to be completely honest. Most people here would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. I've met some absolutely fantastic and close friends because of it. 

I can see how the politics and multiple fake accounts can be tiresome and could push people away from posting/visiting. 

The real issue is social media. Who joins a corporate forum nowadays when you have Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram? Who asks questions when you can find an answer on YouTube or a Tiktok video. Buyers are getting younger and aren't looking to join a corporate forum for answers. Too many other options out there. 

That is depressing.  What happens when everything is a YouTube video and nobody does anything new or cool?  We might as well let entropy win.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    danhoo said:

maybe if the main page had more than 10 threads on it one might find other things.

five of them long running ones:
    what are you doing
    cooking
    buying
    cars
    pets 

I'm also guilty of posting in the WAYCD thread as its sort of convenient.
    also music and this

canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Welcome Seymour Hairs inventor of the see through bakini. 
  • I joined for the great ideas and recipes and quickly enjoyed a lot of the members. Particularly found the lacto thread very useful and learned a lot from it. I was a daily visitor and tried to contribute when I could.
    The political bs by the same few and their willingness to pile on and push folks away made it a waste of time for me. Not to mention the multiple login identities by the same bunch.
    I moderated a HD forum years ago and that type of behavior just got you banned regardless of how wonderful you thought you were.
    An actual moderated forum would be a good way to make it roll again. I also agree with the Mega-thread that catches everything.
    Good luck Lou, I hope your efforts gain some traction.

Cheers!
  • lousubcap
    I personally committed after @DoubleEgger's comments of a couple of days ago.  My challenge is to cook something worthy... =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    It seems to me an experiment worth trying is for some of the regulars here to start new threads when they have a cook to share, rather than posting it in the Cheffing thread.  I’m up for doing that if some of the rest of you are.

the problem with its own thread is you cant just dump a pic and run.  you have to describe it, details etc..... =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    @Ozzie_Isaac mentioned earlier a Throwdown, I think it’s a great idea if someone could put together, Super Bowl is in a couple weeks, I’ll donate to it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    It seems to me an experiment worth trying is for some of the regulars here to start new threads when they have a cook to share, rather than posting it in the Cheffing thread.  I’m up for doing that if some of the rest of you are.

the problem with its own thread is you cant just dump a pic and run.  you have to describe it, details etc..... =)
    Yeah that’s why I wrote “if some of you are” because I knew you were the “dump and run” type, fish.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292

Yeah that’s why I wrote “if some of you are” because I knew you were the “dump and run” type, fish.  

ive mentioned a few times over the years that that topic thread is a sinkhole, but it seems i dont have enough weight around here to fix the problem :D  that thread needs to be shut down or it will go back to what it is within a week. what we dont have is the new ideas that the next generation would bring, it just could be that doesnt happen in todays world anymore with forums or facebook or anything new. maybe we are just getting old an outdated =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac

ive mentioned a few times over the years that that topic thread is a sinkhole, but it seems i dont have enough weight around here to fix the problem :D  that thread needs to be shut down or it will go back to what it is within a week. what we dont have is the new ideas that the next generation would bring, it just could be that doesnt happen in todays world anymore with forums or facebook or anything new. maybe we are just getting old an outdated =)
    The chef thread just needs to make it to page 2 or 3 and it will be gone.  This forum is death for anything off the first page.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    lkapigian said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac mentioned earlier a Throwdown, I think it’s a great idea if someone could put together, Super Bowl is in a couple weeks, I’ll donate to it 
    You were very generous.  I will wish I had the time to organize something worthy.

@lousubcap should put it together.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,829
    If I were to win a Throwdown, which I don’t stand a chance, I would rather have a sampling of @lkapigian charcuterie than an Amazon gift card of any amount.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,829
    Also, the rub and sauce exchange’s that @cazzy used to manage were a lot of fun. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,998
    bouncy bounce this valuable thread into Friday for sake of those weekend eggers who never get here until then! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    shtgunal3 said:
    Also, the rub and sauce exchange’s that @cazzy used to manage were a lot of fun. 
    That was so cool.

• Canugghead
    Sink hole thread WAYCTD is working its was to page two, good job folks!
    canuckland