Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tell me I’m wrong on th pork butt

Did two pork butts today, one injected the other not. The one that I injected had some mushy spots. I have never injected a pork butt and this was a test.  I’m am in the no-injection camp

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,320
    I'm also in the no injection camp.  Never found enough difference to warrant the effort. Juice isn't worth the squeeze to me.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    I’ll do it for competition, I have had an issue with Butcher BBQ before , what did you mix with ? Anything acidic?But I rarely if ever do it on a regular cook 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,597
    edited December 2023
    I'm assuming you are trying to make pulled pork?

Did you foil wrap or not?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    I've never injected one either.    I usually run around 250F on butts with the fattiest portion on top to render down then pull at 205F IT, wrap and cooler for a couple hours.    Never had a noticeable issue.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • I’ve injected pork butts with a teriyaki marinade and have had them turn out great.  That’s my standard go to, particularly when I do a modified turbo (low and slow to the stall, then wrapped in foil with a big temp bump).
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I’ve injected pork butts with a teriyaki marinade and have had them turn out great.  That’s my standard go to, particularly when I do a modified turbo (low and slow to the stall, then wrapped in foil with a big temp bump).
    I appreciate the wokeness of "modified turbo".  "Texas crutch" is pretty offensive.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    I’ve injected pork butts with a teriyaki marinade and have had them turn out great.  That’s my standard go to, particularly when I do a modified turbo (low and slow to the stall, then wrapped in foil with a big temp bump).
    I appreciate the wokeness of "modified turbo".  "Texas crutch" is pretty offensive.
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’ve injected pork butts with a teriyaki marinade and have had them turn out great.  That’s my standard go to, particularly when I do a modified turbo (low and slow to the stall, then wrapped in foil with a big temp bump).
    What a clown you are sometimes.

As I understand it, when people say they're doing a "turbo butt" it means the temp is pretty high from the jump.  That's not what I'm doing.  I'm only increasing the temp after wrapping in foil.  So the use of "modified" here is a reference to the approach on temperature, not the use of foil.   

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,843

As I understand it, when people say they're doing a "turbo butt" it means the temp is pretty high from the jump.  That's not what I'm doing.  I'm only increasing the temp after wrapping in foil.  So the use of "modified" here is a reference to the approach on temperature, not the use of foil.   

He’s just a kid who likes to egg while wearing a tux. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

He’s just a kid who likes to egg while wearing a tux. 
    Not a tux.  That is crazy.  It was just a suit. (I didn't own a tux then)

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,681
    edited December 2023
    3 cups apple juice
    3 tbsp. of salt
    1 cup of honey
    1/4 cup of white vinegar
    mix well..

all the time / every day
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga