Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2023??

Comments

• Cooking the turkey madmax style minus the inversion. swmbo made 4 pies yesterday and we will be taking it all over to my sister in laws.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,616

I remembered to let the bird sit overnight uncovered. Going raised direct and it's already spatched.  Will use back bone and neck bone to attempt gravy. Other than cleaning bathrooms, I think that's my only responsibility today!  More pics of I remember as the cook progresses.  I have a pre made turkey rub that I will use. We're hosting my parents. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811
    Ham
    Bone in turkey breast
    dressing
    green bean casserole
    sweet potato casserole
    deviled eggs
    homemade cranberry salad
    pecan pies
    and whatever else my wife and mother comes up with

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn said:
    Rubbed with garlic-infused olive oil and a herbed citrus bourbon rub. Last night. 
    That sounds pretty awesome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014

We are doing some fun stuff that I’ll post tomorrow but thought this was a good place for this. My 1st BGE turkey in 2006. I got it for Father’s Day that year. This may be one of the last photos of me on actual film that exists in this crazy mixed up world. I would be pretty happy with that bird right now!
    I showed this to my son.  He says that the "juice" stains on your shirt make it look like you wrestled the bird into the egg while it was alive, but ultimately came out with a winner.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    Foghorn said:
    Rubbed with garlic-infused olive oil and a herbed citrus bourbon rub. Last night. 
    On another note, we've decided that because it is drizzling outside and the high will be 58 degrees we will cook the turkey breasts on the BGE so we don't have to tend a fire every 20-30 minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,554
    It is hard to discount the fire and forget nature of a BGE cook, especially when also dealing with an uncooperative Mother Nature. Happy Thanksgiving. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • following the Mad Max turkey cook method left me with a Turkey that is done 4hrs early lol

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• getting out a cooler, hopefully I can salvage it and maybe push everyone up a hour.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    edited November 2023
    You could carve, package, and reheat with the sous vide. I had a spare 6th turkey that I was planning on smoking, carving, and reheating sous vide on Christmas. (Unfortunately it didn't pass the sniff test. I've never had a turkey have a scent before. It didn't smell spoiled but I didn't want to chance it.) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    You could carve, package, and reheat with the sous vide. 

I thought about carving it... I found a old post where you @WeberWho said FTC turkey was a home run lol
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I think I am only sacrificing the crispy skin. I don't have a lot of skin eaters in my crew so hopefully this works out ok
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    edited November 2023
    WeberWho said:
    You could carve, package, and reheat with the sous vide. 

I thought about carving it... I found a old post where you @WeberWho said FTC turkey was a home run lol

Yeah, i brought a couple turkeys out to my aunt's house a few years back. I don't think we ate for a couple hours after they came off. They were still insanely hot after a couple hours. I remember burning my damn hands trying to carve it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Only 6 of us this year at our celebration.  Made a turkey breast and four turkey thighs.

The breast was done Aaron Franklin style with Yardbird rub.  The thighs rubbed with Two Gringos Chupacabra Chickalicious rub.

Transporting it across town for our lunch get together.
  • lousubcap
    @alaskanassasin - you are correct in that the only loss with the FTC is the crispy skin.  You may need a big cooler.  You can completely wrap in a couple of layers of HDAF and layer with several towels and get to the carve and serve time if too big for a cooler.  FWIW-
    Happy Thanksgiving. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @alaskanassasin - you are correct in that the only loss with the FTC is the crispy skin.  You may need a big cooler.  You can completely wrap in a couple of layers of HDAF and layer with several towels and get to the carve and serve time if too big for a cooler.  FWIW-
    Happy Thanksgiving. 

Thanks Cap.  I let it sit for about 15 minutes and just put it in the cooler in the aluminum pan I cooked it in. Towel on bottom and a few on top, I should have cross referenced recipes for a more accurate cook time.  Happy Thanksgiving
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• If the dang thing is moist that is my target every year. moist.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Spanish Tortilla with fruit and berries for breakfast. The tortilla was incredible! Thats new staple for us. 

lunch:

Turkey breast roulade (2 breasts meat glued together with herbed butter in the middle, the skin wrapped tightly and meat glued around both breasts)

Turkey gravy 

Nueske’s spiral sliced ham

mashed potatoes
    Sous vide parsnips and carrots
    dressing 

Several pies

will post pics later 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn said:

We are doing some fun stuff that I’ll post tomorrow but thought this was a good place for this. My 1st BGE turkey in 2006. I got it for Father’s Day that year. This may be one of the last photos of me on actual film that exists in this crazy mixed up world. I would be pretty happy with that bird right now!
    I showed this to my son.  He says that the "juice" stains on your shirt make it look like you wrestled the bird into the egg while it was alive, but ultimately came out with a winner.
    Thats actually one of the nicest things he has ever said to me. 
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2023
    You just can't enough of that meat glue at Thanksgiving.  B)The Cen-Tex Smoker , sounds great.
    Happy Thanksgiving. 

• lousubcap said:
    You just can't enough of that meat glue at Thanksgiving.  B)The Cen-Tex Smoker , sounds great.
    Happy Thanksgiving. 

It makes for an awesome roulade. That’s the way we like turkey. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,805
    @alaskanassasin and @The Cen-Tex Smoker... the pies. We need to hear moar about the pies!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.