Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2023??

124»

Comments

• caliking said:
    didn't get a ton of pics as we were coming in hot at the end. Forgot to mention my son made Pao de Queijo (Brazilian cheese rolls) this year. We had 2 celiac/gluten free folks so we did these instead of traditional rolls as these are naturally gluten free (and delicious). 

The Pao: 

Don't have much to say about the roulade, because you're a pro at that. Looks tremendous... as expected. And, as does the rest of the spread!

We're fans of pao de queijo. I'll take any tips your progeny has to offer.
    I have had other requests as well. I’ll post his recipe here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking said:
    didn't get a ton of pics as we were coming in hot at the end. Forgot to mention my son made Pao de Queijo (Brazilian cheese rolls) this year. We had 2 celiac/gluten free folks so we did these instead of traditional rolls as these are naturally gluten free (and delicious). 

The Pao: 

Don't have much to say about the roulade, because you're a pro at that. Looks tremendous... as expected. And, as does the rest of the spread!

We're fans of pao de queijo. I'll take any tips your progeny has to offer.
    I have had other requests as well. I’ll post his recipe here. 
    He happened to be sitting right next to me. Serious Eats/Sohla for the win!

https://www.seriouseats.com/south-american-cheesy-bread-recipe
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,189
    lousubcap said:
    Foghorn said:

The Pao: 

The bird:

Nueske’s ham (warmed on the bge while the ovens were in use)

a few pies. The fancy one is store bought but I heard it was delicious (I’m not a pumpkin pie guy so I didn’t try it)

I should have posted a pic of the recycling bin this morning. We put a serious ass-whipping on the wine fridge last night. We have to go restock today because we are down to the reserve stuff that will put us in the poor house if we keep up this pace. 
    Stop depriving yourself of the good stuff. (We've been embracing that approach lately...)
    We have 10 people here…

That number would throttle back my level of offerings as well.  Since I graduated beyond wine several years ago I don't recall all the protocols but for brown water there are two standing rules for guests; Never take the last pour from a bottle (not a wine issue as bottle kill is the order of the day) and never ask for a bottle to be opened (likely applicable).  However, regrettably I know a couple bourbon drinkers who routinely ignore the rules.  Happy Friday!
    I have most the bottles out in the bar, I do keep 3 bottles in my closet.  Those make it out for special guests who appreciate bourbon.  I had to make some changes after a friend was mixing Blanton's with diet coke and another said this "Heaven's Door Bootleg for 2020 is pretty good, but I prefer my wild Turkey."

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    lousubcap said:
    Foghorn said:

The Pao: 

The bird:

a few pies. The fancy one is store bought but I heard it was delicious (I’m not a pumpkin pie guy so I didn’t try it)

I should have posted a pic of the recycling bin this morning. We put a serious ass-whipping on the wine fridge last night. We have to go restock today because we are down to the reserve stuff that will put us in the poor house if we keep up this pace. 
    Stop depriving yourself of the good stuff. (We've been embracing that approach lately...)
    We have 10 people here…

That number would throttle back my level of offerings as well.  Since I graduated beyond wine several years ago I don't recall all the protocols but for brown water there are two standing rules for guests; Never take the last pour from a bottle (not a wine issue as bottle kill is the order of the day) and never ask for a bottle to be opened (likely applicable).  However, regrettably I know a couple bourbon drinkers who routinely ignore the rules.  Happy Friday!
    I have most the bottles out in the bar, I do keep 3 bottles in my closet.  Those make it out for special guests who appreciate bourbon.  I had to make some changes after a friend was mixing Blanton's with diet coke and another said this "Heaven's Door Bootleg for 2020 is pretty good, but I prefer my wild Turkey."
    A friend of mine found that my Blanton's Special Reserve makes a great Manhattan.  Since he made one for each of us I wasn't sure if that was a party foul or not.  What say ye?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Foghorn said:

The Pao: 

The bird:

We have 10 people here…

A friend of mine found that my Blanton's Special Reserve makes a great Manhattan.  Since he made one for each of us I wasn't sure if that was a party foul or not.  What say ye?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,554
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Foghorn said:

The Pao: 

The bird:

We have 10 people here…

Any good bourbon will make a good Manhattan if correctly mixed.  Very perceptive to use your bourbon and make one for you. Since he made one for you that reduces the charges but in the end I call a minor foul.  But bourbon palates are individual...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    caliking said:
    To wrap it up…. Behold! 

The Thanksgiving Stack!!

Waffled 2 kinds of stuffing, topped with mashed potatoes, gravy, Brussels sprouts (to keep it healthy :smiley: ), MNC, ham, smoked turkey, runny egg, twice baked sweet potato, drizzle of hot honey, and a dollop of cran sauce. 

I had been dreaming of this since Monday 
    I wish I could like that 1000 times.  How could I have forgotten to waffle the stuffing?????

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    @caliking - That is a banquet to behold.  Beautiful. I get why the extended anticipation.  Magazine quality photo and description right there.  But I must ask, what is MNC?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    I'm going with macaroni and cheese 
  • lousubcap
    @Elijah - thanks as I'm sure you are correct.  With watching college football and keeping hydrated with adult supervisory beverages my creative side is lacking (like most of the time). 
  • Foghorn
    Not "melted nutria carcass"?

San Antonio, TX

• I figured Masala Nutmeg Curry
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,805
    Elijah said:
    I'm going with macaroni and cheese 
    Correct, sir.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    To wrap it up…. Behold! 

The Thanksgiving Stack!!

Waffled 2 kinds of stuffing, topped with mashed potatoes, gravy, Brussels sprouts (to keep it healthy :smiley: ), MNC, ham, smoked turkey, runny egg, twice baked sweet potato, drizzle of hot honey, and a dollop of cran sauce. 

I wish I could like that 1000 times.  How could I have forgotten to waffle the stuffing?????
    Key step in the enjoyment of T-Day leftover. You get nice crunchy bits, and spaces for the gravy to pool. 

I think I'll have just mashed potatoes and gravy for lunch tomorrow. You know... something light.

• caliking said:
    To wrap it up…. Behold! 

The Thanksgiving Stack!!

I like that a lot!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    I had to give it a try. Here’s my modest version of the Thanksgiving Stack. 

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    I would crush 'em both.  Great eats and creativity right there. 
  • lousubcap
    That is bringing it home @YukonRon .  Great banquet however, diet Mountain Dew and where's the $$ shot?  All in good fun.  Glad you are engaged again here. 
  • caliking
    Foghorn said:
    I had to give it a try. Here’s my modest version of the Thanksgiving Stack. 
    Yessir. Artfully done.

• caliking
    YukonRon said:

That's quite the banquet, but the bread... and this!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    last of my turkey,barley,rice soup yesterday, almost feel like cooking another bird this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • last of my turkey,barley,rice soup yesterday, almost feel like cooking another bird this weekend
    Ham sandwiches, ham and beans, ham tetrazzini. Give pigs a chance!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    last of my turkey,barley,rice soup yesterday, almost feel like cooking another bird this weekend
    Ham sandwiches, ham and beans, ham tetrazzini. Give pigs a chance!

cheesy smoked ham and scalloped potato is a favorite.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliqueen made exactly that,  with the carcass of the smoked bird our friends bought. So good.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    lousubcap said:
    That is bringing it home @YukonRon .  Great banquet however, diet Mountain Dew and where's the $$ shot?  All in good fun.  Glad you are engaged again here. 
    My Beautiful Wife is a Diet Mountain Dew/coffee/caffeine maniac. I know my safety depends on replenishing the supply. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:

That's quite the banquet, but the bread... and this!!
    Thank you, my niece who had just worked this summer In Montana as the baker for an exclusive resort make the desert for us. She hopes to open her own bakery some day .
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky