Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2023??

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,867
    Options
    We're cooking dinner for 4.  I needed to chop garlic for the green bean dish I'm making.  I asked others how much garlic they need for their dishes so I could just chop it all at once. 23 cloves sounds right for a dinner for 4 - right?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,687
    Options

Ham and turkey breast are off. Time to slice and eat!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options

Good times ... Happy Thanksgiving to all..
    Obviously not messing around, with the big plates and all :smile:

Happy Thanksgiving!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     6 LB stuffed (prosciutto, pepperoni, provolone, sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, garlic and onions) pork loin headed to the small staffed local firehouse. (Sitting in the LBGE for comparison.)
    Happy Thanksgiving. 🦃🍽
    Wonderful gesture, @lousubcap

Chatter at the firehouse - " I'll take call on Thanksgiving. There's this guy who lives 2 blocks away, and man can he cook!"

• caliking
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Ham and turkey breast are off. Time to slice and eat!
    Raichlen's gonna steal that pic.

• Foghorn
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options

Turned out great. Was going direct most of the time and which and then snuck a disposable aluminum tray below to catch some drips for my gravy. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Magazine shot? The juice in that fourth (?) slice on left is golden 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Legume said:
    great idea for a post @caliking

fried brussels sprouts
    fried turkey
    fresh green beans with bacon in…bacon drippings (sounds better than bacon grease, right?)
    cornbread stuffing (you can call it dressing if you want, it’s not going to be in the turkey)
    celery root salad
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes - not sure how we’re cooking those yet
    gravy
    cranberry relish
    pumpkin cheesecake
    probably more things I’m not aware of

It’s going to be a marathon for us - staying with our daughter and we’re going to her in laws for a noon eat (no idea what the menu is there) and then we’ll eat later, probably 6ish.

At this point, I’m really just looking forward to the turkey sandwich on fresh sourdough on Friday. And Saturday.  And Sunday.
    You forgot to mention the competing canned green beans with bacon bits. I want video. 
    Oh man, I wish you had mentioned video earlier.

The competition did switch to real bacon this year instead of bacon bits, so it came down to fresh green beans vs French cut canned green beans, the skinny, limp green bean pieces. Kinda grey too.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic posts and meals everyone 😋😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Options
    REB17 said:
    Foghorn said:

Magazine shot? The juice in that fourth (?) slice on left is golden 
    Thanks.  My son took that pic.  It was the best turkey any of us has ever tasted.

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Options
    didn't get a ton of pics as we were coming in hot at the end. Forgot to mention my son made Pao de Queijo (Brazilian cheese rolls) this year. We had 2 celiac/gluten free folks so we did these instead of traditional rolls as these are naturally gluten free (and delicious). 

The Pao: 

The bird:

Nueske’s ham (warmed on the bge while the ovens were in use)

a few pies. The fancy one is store bought but I heard it was delicious (I’m not a pumpkin pie guy so I didn’t try it)

I should have posted a pic of the recycling bin this morning. We put a serious ass-whipping on the wine fridge last night. We have to go restock today because we are down to the reserve stuff that will put us in the poor house if we keep up this pace. 
    Stop depriving yourself of the good stuff. (We've been embracing that approach lately...)

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,513
    Options
    @LetsEat - Impressive selection right there.  Way to offer great variety.  Lookin' great!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,687
    Options
    @caliking @The Cen-Tex Smoker I’m a huge ham fan. Both of those look amazing!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    didn't get a ton of pics as we were coming in hot at the end. Forgot to mention my son made Pao de Queijo (Brazilian cheese rolls) this year. We had 2 celiac/gluten free folks so we did these instead of traditional rolls as these are naturally gluten free (and delicious). 

The Pao: 

The bird:

a few pies. The fancy one is store bought but I heard it was delicious (I’m not a pumpkin pie guy so I didn’t try it)

I should have posted a pic of the recycling bin this morning. We put a serious ass-whipping on the wine fridge last night. We have to go restock today because we are down to the reserve stuff that will put us in the poor house if we keep up this pace. 
    Stop depriving yourself of the good stuff. (We've been embracing that approach lately...)
    We have 10 people here…
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,513
    Options
    Foghorn said:

The Pao: 

The bird:

We have 10 people here…

That number would throttle back my level of offerings as well.  Since I graduated beyond wine several years ago I don't recall all the protocols but for brown water there are two standing rules for guests; Never take the last pour from a bottle (not a wine issue as bottle kill is the order of the day) and never ask for a bottle to be opened (likely applicable).  However, regrettably I know a couple bourbon drinkers who routinely ignore the rules.  Happy Friday!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,591
    Options
    Belated Happy Thanksgiving. You folks killed it, I'm exhausted looking at spread afer spread after spread.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options

The Pao: 

Don't have much to say about the roulade, because you're a pro at that. Looks tremendous... as expected. And, as does the rest of the spread!

We're fans of pao de queijo. I'll take any tips your progeny has to offer.