Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night and the EggHead Forum option of the forum choices is eerie quiet- I need to get a life!

Comments

• I think the government should require tik tok, twitter, IG, etc to distribute “common sense / public service” media either as ads or must-see pop ups before people get to the junk. How to drive, how to solve problems, how to avoid getting ripped off, etc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    Friday night bump. Who practises the S-turn manoeuvre when entering dedicated left-turn lanes?
    I have encountered a person that s turns turning right. Starts the s turn with the left blinker, then quickly cuts right  Infront of you with her right blinker. When you lock it up she stops and swears at you. Was a common thing swinging into her driveway
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,554
    I think the government should require tik tok, twitter, IG, etc to distribute “common sense / public service” media either as ads or must-see pop ups before people get to the junk. How to drive, how to solve problems, how to avoid getting ripped off, etc.
    Called Basic Life 101.  More kids these days don't have a source for Basic Life 101 and we are seeing the results.  Sad downward trend continues.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    @lousubcap fwiw I learned this from my daughter's driver education classroom notes, it was a big AHA moment for me  :)
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    Oh, boy…permit me to just laugh…what is this 5 turn thing? When I took my driver’s test at age 16 in MO back in 1960 the officer was a tough old bird and he made me repeat my parallel parking twice even though that was in a tiny town with only 12 such parallel parking  spaces in TOTAL in town and all were only around the county courthouse, 

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 698
    edited October 2023
    @lousubcap fwiw I learned this from my daughter's driver education classroom notes, it was a big AHA moment for me  :)
    Did it include the proper use of a 710 cap? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    Like Ron, I also have no idea what an S-turn into a left lane entails... :confused:  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    I guess it all depends on whether the S is defined from a top or bottom initiation point and the country where employed.  It is Friday- =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    danhoo said:
    Did it include the proper use of a 710 cap? 
    Haha, and how to fill'er up at 0553  ;)
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    And wow.  
    MacOS Sonoma, Vanilla, and obviously something else on my machine are NOT playing well together.  I can copy a video link from EweTube okay (get a black box saying Copy was successful, which then fades away) but when I try to paste it here, nothing; nothing gets pasted.  (I can post on other sites)
    Copying text here mostly works, but the highlight stops in random places before continuing elsewhere (I posted about this somewhere else).  
    When I try to paste an emoji (see my above post) 3 or 4 different selection boxes post in different areas of the screen.  Sometimes I can eventually make it work, sometimes not.
    Hitting Quote, the cursor for my reply bounces all over the place, sometimes in the right place, sometimes at the top of the thread, sometimes inside the text box.  

I'm sure it'll all get worked out eventually... two weeks before Sonoma's replacement is downloaded.  
    Sigh.  

• Canugghead
    RRP said:
    Oh, boy…permit me to just laugh…what is this 5 turn thing? When I took my driver’s test at age 16 in MO back in 1960 the officer was a tough old bird and he made me repeat my parallel parking twice even though that was in a tiny town with only 12 such parallel parking  spaces in TOTAL in town and all were only around the county courthouse, 

May be you're doing the S turn subconciously already.
    Question: you're the lead car waiting at the dedicated left turn lane and there's a big truck/bus facing you in the opposite left turn lane, how far can you see the oncoming traffic from the lane adjacent to him?
    canuckland
  • Botch said:
    And wow.  
    MacOS Sonoma, Vanilla, and obviously something else on my machine are NOT playing well together.  I can copy a video link from EweTube okay (get a black box saying Copy was successful, which then fades away) but when I try to paste it here, nothing; nothing gets pasted.  (I can post on other sites)
    Copying text here mostly works, but the highlight stops in random places before continuing elsewhere (I posted about this somewhere else).  
    When I try to paste an emoji (see my above post) 3 or 4 different selection boxes post in different areas of the screen.  Sometimes I can eventually make it work, sometimes not.
    Hitting Quote, the cursor for my reply bounces all over the place, sometimes in the right place, sometimes at the top of the thread, sometimes inside the text box.  

I'm sure it'll all get worked out eventually... two weeks before Sonoma's replacement is downloaded.  
    Sigh.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    Botch said:
    And wow.  

Sigh.  

Nope, that’s « agile » development methodology 🤣😂😳

I’m new to Mac, getting to know my new Mac mini, I’m liking it a lot so far.

paqman said:
    I’m new to Mac, getting to know my new Mac mini, I’m liking it a lot so far.
    Gary from the MacMost channel on EweTube just did a 30-minute video for Mac newbies a couple days ago, you may find some useful things here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBjS5ndNN4

Gary normally does a 5-to-7 minute video every weekday on how to do things on a Mac, iPhone or tablet, and even if its something simple (like Copy & Paste) I watch them every day, as I'm always learning some new trick/shortcut.  Highly recommended (and, Enjoy!)  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    @Botch thanks for sharing this link, I subscribed to his channel.  I have been able to figure out things mostly by myself but some small details, IMHO, are so counterintuitive… At least there is a “maximize” button now 🤣😂.  The lack of maximize button is what drove me away from my first Mac several years ago.

edited October 2023
    Friday night bump.

Waiting to turn left, both body and front wheels facing straight at the opposite left turn lane after making the S-turn, clear visibility of oncoming traffic with minimum/zero blind spot.

Edit: my visibility (viewing angle) is actually better than what you see in the picture because the camera is to my right.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    This left turn dynamic is well beyond my comprehension; Left turn-turn left when clear to do so. I must be missing something but it is Friday!
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,346
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but sometimes three rights can make a safe left.
    I think that came from my HS drivers ed course.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2023
    lousubcap said:
    This left turn dynamic is well beyond my comprehension; Left turn-turn left when clear to do so. I must be missing something but it is Friday!
    That's the key cap, but it's only as clear as what you can see. The S-turn positions you for maximum visibility of oncoming traffic. Like I said before many (but not all) drivers are already doing this without even thinking about it  ;)
    Edit: like the thread title says, I need to get a life  :)

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,189
    Legume said:
    Yesterday we test drove a BMW I4 because I have never driven a battery car before, The sales lady said if you pull into someones driveway and can't get turned around the car will use its memory to back you out completely up to like 160'.  Also it auto backs into spots and parallel parks on its own.  Times are changing.
    Perfect.  That's gonna be my getaway car when I start criming.
    Our car has that.  I wouldn't rely on it.  Heck, sometimes I can't back out of the garage because it doesn't want me to run over a shadow.  Super aggravating.  If I want to **** run something ober, then it should let me.

Anyway, when it hits full brake lock because there was a shadow it definitely surprises you.  I have to pull forward and try a slightly different angle.  I had it happen once while making a left across traffic.  I started to go as the last car was passing and it locked up all the tires.  I about bounced my head off the steering wheel.

Also the lane keeping nanny likes to steer hard into gaps in roadway markings.

I turn off all the nannies I can.  Just like I play my racing games.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• @Botch

Thanks for giving us a peek at those great memories. That is a long wait, but what I take from it is that the journey was as much fun (possibly more so) than the destination. 

I get the shivers whenever I hear Eminence Front. 
  • lousubcap
    Last Friday with DST (save HI and AZ who never leave standard time) so this place should be fired up...⏰😉
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    @lousubcap @Canugghead

A helpful visual. 

Just catching up - this just looks like a little shimmy to the left on an unprotected left.  I don't get the "S" part of it, but yes, if I don't think I have a good line of sight I will cheat over a little bit and true up my steering.  I was always taught to keep the wheels pointed forward until you're clear to turn, too many stories of cars with wheels turned that get rear ended and pushed into oncoming traffic. 
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    Friday night bump. Who practises the S-turn manoeuvre when entering dedicated left-turn lanes?
    I have encountered a person that s turns turning right. Starts the s turn with the left blinker, then quickly cuts right  Infront of you with her right blinker. When you lock it up she stops and swears at you. Was a common thing swinging into her driveway
    We've always called that maneuver clearing their trailer (when they obviously don't have one). 
    Not a felon
  • I’ll play along.  AMA
  • Legume
    I’ll play along.  AMA
    is an eel a fish
    Not a felon
  • Legume said:
    I’ll play along.  AMA
    is an eel a fish
    Is a hotdog a sandwich?  These are the same questions.  Next.