Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a Recipe for Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Options
I've been dropping some tonnage lately, but one thing I've never been able to find is turkey breakfast sausage that's worth eating.  I even use egg beaters occasionally, and go with ham or lean pork loin at breakfast, but I love hot breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean hot sausage!).

Applegate Natural Savory Turkey Breakfast Sausage is about as close as it's gotten, but it's pre-cooked which might be why it seems dry.  However, they do actually put some spices in there.  I've got a few recipes I've found online and will start working through them, but hoped someone here might already have gone through this trial and error to find something good.

Thank you!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I’d wing it, sage , thyme and nutmeg make it “ breakfast y” , I’d go 1.5-2% salt .2% black pepper ..2% sage  .1%thyme .05% cayenne … turkey and turkey skin or pork fat 80/20 5-10% liquified, binder optional, should get you close to something 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I've made turkey burgers with added gelatin, that helped keep them from drying out too much.  

EDIT:  Here's the recipe, for proportions; think the soda was to promote browning.

1 lb 93% ground turkey

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp water (make a slurry)

1.5 Tblspn soy sauce

1 Tblspn melted butter

3 Tblspns panko

3 Tblspns parmesan

1/2 tsp gelatin

1/4 tsp black pepper

pinch of salt

Mix gently.

Form  into 4 patties, 1/2” thick

Add to cold skillet, heat to Medium

When sizzle, add lid and cook 2.5 minutes

Flip, 1.5 minutes

Add cheese if desired, another 1.5 minutes, take to 160˚

Top w/lettuce, tomato, pickled avocado. 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I’d wing it, sage , thyme and nutmeg make it “ breakfast y” , I’d go 1.5-2% salt .2% black pepper ..2% sage  .1%thyme .05% cayenne … turkey and turkey skin or pork fat 80/20 5-10% liquified, binder optional, should get you close to something 
    Do you find turkey almost "spicy" by itself.  I find it to have more heat than most other ground meats 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Do you find turkey almost "spicy" by itself.  I find it to have more heat than most other ground meats 
    The imported stuff is super spicy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We make chicken thigh breakfast sausage (similar to Larry’s mix) but we add a little unflavored powdered gelatin to the mix. Makes a huge difference. You can go almost fat free and still have soft, juicy sausage. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We make chicken thigh breakfast sausage (similar to Larry’s mix) but we add a little unflavored powdered gelatin to the mix. Makes a huge difference. You can go almost fat free and still have soft, juicy sausage. 
    I love chicken thighs! 
    The sausage sounds great. I've never made sausage. Maybe after I nail down CTM.

A humble request @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Please change your avatar. It freaks me out. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI