Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizers for an oyster roast

Anyone have any novel ideas for this? Much appreciated!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,229
    Aren't the oysters the appetizer?

@SGH is a big oyster fan, he may have some ideas.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    piece of pineapple, then a shrimp, then a piece of mango quickly grilled on a short skewer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 642

No sir… it’s an oyster roast, so that’s the main fare.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• wps456
    wps456 Posts: 104
    I’m not sure I’ve roasted oysters but grilled oysters would go with a garlic and olive oil angel hair pasta and maybe a roasted veggie (asparagus?) and French bread or roll. Whenever we shucked a sack we’d do raw with cocktail sauce, lemons and crackers, fried (maybe make a poboy) and grilled on the half shell with garlic, butter and Tony’s.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    edited January 2023
    wps456 said:
    I’m not sure I’ve roasted oysters but grilled oysters would go with a garlic and olive oil angel hair pasta and maybe a roasted veggie (asparagus?) and French bread or roll. Whenever we shucked a sack we’d do raw with cocktail sauce, lemons and crackers, fried (maybe make a poboy) and grilled on the half shell with garlic, butter and Tony’s.

Yep.  The only appropriate appetizer for cooked oysters is more oysters.  (raw, soup stew, fried, whatever).
    NOLA
  • Dawgtired
    Couldn’t agree more🤣 However, the neighbors are roasting the oysters and we’ve been tasked to bring an appetizer. 

Ronald Reagan

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Something our beloved friend, @bgebrent led me onto several years ago. Goes awesome on a sliced toasted baguette and it goes a long way.  

*snip from Brent*

Keep it simple. Garlic rubbed toasts, black olive or green-black mix, red onion, feta, pepperocinis finish with oil”
    ”Layer after toasting.  Rub the garlic on the toasted bread after grilling.”

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Bruschetta/Crostini…..something hearty….roasted garlic and warm Brie cheese on that toast point goes a long way 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    Baked Brie. Thatgrimmguy has an awesome recipe here

Sorry I don't know how to share a link or whatever you call it.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    Category Baking page 3. It's really good
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Steam some shrimp for an appetizer. You can make cocktail sauce and use for both. If making oysters your center of the plate item, consider serving steamed b red taters smothered with bacon bits, smoked sausage pieces topped with melted cheese.

Hope you have a great event. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 104
    I’m sorry I was thinking side dishes, not appetizers. All of the above mentioned sound good. We usually don’t do appetizers to save room for dessert! Maybe a spinach and artichoke dip?
  • fishlessman
    i make this chowder with added in lobster and scallops, a little overkill and the price goes up quickly per batch.  this would be a great side. first spoonful has a strong bite to it but disappears with the second spoonful. its creole based, dont remember who first chefed it here but its a staple for me during the holidays

5 slices bacon
    1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/3 cup white wine
    1 teaspoon cognac
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    3 cups fresh corn kernels
    4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
    1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
    1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3 cups heavy cream

1 cup half-and-half cream
    1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp
    1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally until evenly browned. Remove the bacon, and reserve the grease. Allow the bacon to cool, then crumble, and set aside with the grease.
    Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and brandy, and bring to a simmer. Season with black pepper, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
    While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux.
    Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, reserved bacon and grease, and shrimp. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent in the center, the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes. add the creole seasoning, and stir in the crab meat.

fukahwee maine

fukahwee maine

• Aren't the oysters the appetizer?

"fried anus"
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,725

"fried anus"
    Bone in or bone out ?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,229
    edited January 2023
    @SGH 's flatulence goes wide and far it seems.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789
    might give this a look:

cheesy corn recipe

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • We roast oysters several times a year. Smoked cream cheese and crackers works. Or cheddar bay biscuits. Or Jim n nicks muffins, google it. Well worth it and the copycat recipe is pretty spot on. We put them in a mini muffin pan if we’re doing oysters. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Whole packer brisket. Just put a  toothpick in each slice.  Toothpick=appetizer?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    kl8ton said:
    Whole packer brisket. Just put a  toothpick in each slice.  Toothpick=appetizer?
    No, no, no.  That's just crazy talk.

However, a toothpick in each brisket burnt end cube is a great appetizer for oysters.   =)

Seriously.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dawgtired
    Really appreciate the replies. 

Ronald Reagan

• Didn’t SGH have an appetizer on here somewhere?
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Bourbon slushiest
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    maybe just something to pick at while eating the roasted oysters, maybe add some smoked cream cheese to the platter. the decision though is start with ipas or champagne and change over to ipas

How to Make a Charcuterie Board - Spend With Pennies

fukahwee maine