Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vote on Tuesday so you can complain - otherwise, don't even surface-

Comments

• I do wonder how long before Tatonka tramples this thread seeing g that it isn't in the off topic forum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,577
    I intentionally avoided the OT section as the basic focus was to vote and get that message to the largest number of forum viewers. 
    Clearly we all knew it would then take on a charged nature as is clearly the case.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,208
    edited November 2022
    I do wonder how long before Tatonka tramples this thread seeing g that it isn't in the off topic forum.
    @lousubcap is untouchable.  He usually stays above the fray so Tatonka's filter settings don't ping on anything Frank does.

Karma has it's place on the forum, and thankfully Frank spends some of those points occasionally.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• I do wonder how long before Tatonka tramples this thread seeing g that it isn't in the off topic forum.
    @lousubcap is untouchable.  He usually stays above the fray so Tatonka's filter settings don't ping on anything Frank does.

Karma has it's place on the forum, and thankfully Frank spends some of those points occasionally.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Red wave? I see more red when I prick my finger to check my glucose level.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Langner91 said:
    Again, tells you how bad the other guy was.  He wanted to turn Iowa into California.  
    Did he?  I don’t know much about him.  What policy idea was he proposing that was a lot like something California does?
    My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, because we got worn out listening to the soundbites of him stating he "wants an Iowa that is progressive like California." 

I never saw him retract it or refute it.  And since the guy who beat him was older than chocolate chip cookies, I would think he could come up with something to improve his chances of winning.

Plus, I think many voters in Iowa realize the Governor (who won easily) will probably appoint the next Senator.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • HeavyG
    caliking said:
    The fact that a guy that had a major stroke and can barely string a sentence together beat Oz tells you how terrible of a candidate he was. I agree with @Ozzie_Isaac this should have been a blowout for Republicans, ditch Trump and let him live out his remaining days scarfing down Big Macs and Diet Coke 
    That's what you distilled him down to?

I'm old enough to remember when he trashed Fetterman just because he didn't like his fashion style.
    Even while coming back from his stroke Fetterman is far more articulate/rational than at least a couple dozen sitting members of Congress I can think of.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    **** me.  Why do people like him get platforms to spread their stupidity?  He is a **** pillow salesman.  Couldn't even hack it in mattresses.

• **** me.  Why do people like him get platforms to spread their stupidity?  He is a **** pillow salesman.  Couldn't even hack it in mattresses.
    The First Amendment. Better to let a fool reveal himself than gag him.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,051
    All it takes is no shame and outrageous takes.
    Not a felon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,044
    45 seconds I'll never get back.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2022
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    The fact that a guy that had a major stroke and can barely string a sentence together beat Oz tells you how terrible of a candidate he was. I agree with @Ozzie_Isaac this should have been a blowout for Republicans, ditch Trump and let him live out his remaining days scarfing down Big Macs and Diet Coke 

I'm old enough to remember when he trashed Fetterman just because he didn't like his fashion style.
    Even while coming back from his stroke Fetterman is far more articulate/rational than at least a couple dozen sitting members of Congress I can think of.
    I stand by that statement still, the guy dresses like a slob. Ya fine, we shouldn't judge someone on what they wear, blah blah blah. There is a certain amount of etiquette and decorum most people expect from their elected leaders. This guy farts in the face of all that and some of you sniff it like it's a fresh baked pie. Don't get me started on Trump either cause he's the same. Beyond that I fundamentally disagree with the guy on alot. Having said that, I don't live in Pennsylvania so if that's who they want representing them that's their business.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

I stand by that statement still, the guy dresses like a slob. Ya fine, we shouldn't judge someone on what they wear, blah blah blah. There is a certain amount of etiquette and decorum most people expect from their elected leaders. This guy farts in the face of all that and some of you sniff it like it's a fresh baked pie. Don't get me started on Trump either cause he's the same. Beyond that I fundamentally disagree with the guy on alot. Having said that, I don't live in Pennsylvania so if that's who they want representing them that's their business.
    Dude…

You’re way off the mark, even literally. 

If showing up in a suit and leather shoes was all it took, the US would not be anywhere close to the hot mess it’s in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I’ll just leave this here…

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2022
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Dude…

If showing up in a suit and leather shoes was all it took, the US would not be anywhere close to the hot mess it’s in. 
    YAWN, if showing up to formal events (where you represent the state you are lieutenant government of) in a friggin hoody and dirty jeans isn't a "low standard of cleanliness or behaving in a lazy way" then I guess you and I view lazy and low standards of cleanliness completely differently.

Also I didn't call HIM a slob, I said he dressed in a manner than makes him look like someone that would be a slob. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it isn't a Moose.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,051
    I recently left a company where I worked for over 19 years because sr leadership has slowly and unwittingly replaced substance with appearance over the past 2-3 years.  Very little gets done and nothing gets done well except slide decks.  Kind of reminds me of our government.
    Not a felon
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Dude…

YAWN, if showing up to formal events (where you represent the state you are lieutenant government of) in a friggin hoody and dirty jeans isn't a "low standard of cleanliness or behaving in a lazy way" then I guess you and I view lazy and low standards of cleanliness completely differently.

Also I didn't call HIM a slob, I said he dressed in a manner than makes him look like someone that would be a slob. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it isn't a Moose.
    I see. What if he wore a dirty suit?

Can we presume, that you know the last date of laundering of each suit worn by politicians, etc., and can thus verify that they are not dressed like slobs?

I'm not sure what you're trying to defend. 

• Obama caught flak from the right for wearing a tan suit, nothing surprises me anymore the crap people seem to care about.
  • caliking said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Dude…

Can we presume, that you know the last date of laundering of each suit worn by politicians, etc., and can thus verify that they are not dressed like slobs?

Jesus dude, you know exactly what I mean. Again, I don't care I don't live in Pennsylvania so I dont have to listen to or look at the guy regularly or live with his decisions. I'm just making an observation that a lot of people likely agree with. I'm not saying you have to agree with me. I'm done with this discussion now.

• Fetterman does seem like the kind of guy who would keep a bass boat on the front lawn, so now this is all starting to make sense.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,831
    edited November 2022
    caliking said:
    I don’t know after watching this victory speech last night I think TEXASALLCAPS has Fetterman pretty much nailed here:

And he did it sporting a sweatshirt and a biker beard. 

(Edit: posted this before I saw that his attire was already given thorough treatment. 😉)
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Dude…

Jesus dude, you know exactly what I mean. Again, I don't care I don't live in Pennsylvania so I dont have to listen to or look at the guy regularly or live with his decisions. I'm just making an observation that a lot of people likely agree with. I'm not saying you have to agree with me. I'm done with this discussion now.
    No, I don't know exactly what you mean. But, yes, you are right. 

• Ozzie_Isaac

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,577
    Amongst all the tailors, dress codes and  laundry posts-
    Below is a worthwhile article from Tom Nichols of The Atlantic about the saving of democracy-

Some observers ridiculed Joe Biden for making a closing pitch for democracy, but as it turns out, Americans do care about more than the price of gas. Voters concerned about democracy and their rights defied predictions of a red wave and sharply limited Republican gains.

Deniers Denied

flags in front of the US capitol

American flags in the US Capitol. (Samuel Corum / Getty)

Let’s get the bad news out of the way: In yesterday’s midterm elections, a fair number of odious candidates managed to buy tickets to Washington. Wisconsin’s Ron Johnson is going back to the Senate, where he will be joined by Ohio’s would-be hillbilly whisperer J. D. Vance, whose campaign will stand for years to come as a monument to cynicism and hypocrisy. We don’t know yet if Kari Lake—or as my friend Tim Miller calls her, the “Empress of Trollistan”—will become governor of Arizona. And we still don’t know who will control Congress.

Nonetheless, yesterday was a good day for democracy. Some of the worst election deniers and kookiest candidates were sent packing, in many cases by larger margins than anyone—including me—expected. Among those who must now go back to writing angry Facebook posts and griping on conservative podcasts were such notables as Don Bolduc, the retired general who promised to get to the bottom of the Great Kitty Litter Mystery, and Mehmet Oz, the carpetbagging celebrity doctor.

At the state level, things look even brighter for the protection of democracy, as voters turned back a fleet of extremists and outright weirdos. Michigan, whose Democratic governor was the target of a bizarre kidnap plot two years ago, is now under a unified Democratic government for the first time in nearly 40 years. A crackpot running as the GOP candidate for governor in Pennsylvania was drubbed in a double-digit loss to an utterly conventional Democrat. And let’s even give a cheer as well for one Republican: Brad Raffensperger, who had to endure death threats for defying Donald Trump’s demands to upend the 2020 vote in Georgia, was reelected as secretary of state.

As the elections analyst Sean Trende said today on Twitter: “It turns out that selecting your candidates from the Star Wars cantina might not be a recipe for electoral success.”

If you want to know how bad a night it was for Republicans, check Trump’s temperature, which apparently zoomed last night past “boiling,” through “molten lead,” and is now somewhere near “the surface of the sun.” And rightly so: Some in the GOP are holding Trump responsible for their party’s losses and are now trying to push him out of the way. Even Trump’s conservative hometown paper, the New York Post, twisted the knife this morning with a cover photo of Governor Ron DeSantis and a one word caption: “DeFuture.”

The best news in all of this is that the pundits and advisers who told Democrats to talk only about the economy and inflation and avoid any boring yakety-yak about democracy were wrong. As my colleague McKay Coppins tweeted after looking at an AP VoteCast poll, “it’s striking how many voters were motivated by concern for American democracy.” I have been arguing for months that voters are in fact capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time, but I admit that I also was starting to wonder whether fears about GOP authoritarianism could break through the noise.

And so I was especially glad that Biden made the case for democracy in his closing argument at Union Station, because I thought it was his duty as president to speak on the threats to our system and warn the voters of what was at stake. In any case, to argue over grocery prices while ignoring Republican threats to stomp on our rights and nullify elections would have been malpractice, with Democrats taking the bait to apologize for the economy (much of which no one can fix right now) while giving a pass to unhinged candidates who couldn’t care less how much a gallon of milk costs.

Looking ahead, American democracy now has some breathing room. What I and others were most worried about was not some overnight establishment of a dictatorship—our country is too big and diverse for that—but rather the ripple effect of having multiple state offices and governorships in the hands of fanatics and election deniers while Congress was firmly in the grip of a Republican majority. That’s not going to happen now. Important battleground states, such as Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, will continue to be led by normal politicians of both parties (and yes, that includes Brian Kemp in Georgia, who also defied Trump).

This means, in turn, that the nightmare scenario of ultra-extreme governors and secretaries of state refusing to certify their own elections is now a lot less likely. Of course, the Supreme Court could still decide in the upcoming Moore v. Harper case that state legislatures, not actual voters, control the outcome of elections, and then we’re back in the trenches once again to protect our rights and liberties—but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Besides, we’re not out of the woods yet. Trump is almost certainly going to run for president again, and then we’ll see just how many Republicans are willing to join the former president on his own personal Titanic and go chasing more icebergs. We’re not done with Trump’s cult of personality by a long shot. But Americans have held off the vandals who sought to win offices specifically, it seems, in order to subvert future elections. That’s good for the United States, and it’s good for democracy."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    Fetterman does seem like the kind of guy who would keep a bass boat on the front lawn, so now this is all starting to make sense.

I'm curious if, when he is finally ready to replace them, he takes his "slobby" clothes back to Costco and asks for a refund?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Dammit, @lousubcap can't you see we are having a pissing contest.

• Forgive me if this is completely ignorant. I’m not one who gets involved in politics. But I have a question. 

It was a few years back the blue overtook the house and senate and both the blue claimed victory and also the red claimed victory that they didn’t lose by as much as anticipated.

Looks like red is taking the house and possibly the senate and both blue and red are claiming victory?

since when did almost winning become a victory?

I have zero party affiliation, I’m just curious. Apologies if there is something deeper at play that I don’t understand?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Red lost.  Election deniers lost.  Hopefully, they don't pretend they didn't.  Hopefully Trump is indicted too.