Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I honestly don’t know where to post this.

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It's always amazed (and amused) me how ignorant most believers are of "The Book".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Oh. Snap!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Options
    :rofl:  

• HeavyG
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
  • Botch
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Wow.  Based on “...age appropriateness due to vulgarity or violence,” one of the largest school districts in Utah have removed all copies of The Bible from their elementary and Jr High school libraries.
    This one surprised me.  

• HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    Wow.  Based on “...age appropriateness due to vulgarity or violence,” one of the largest school districts in Utah have removed all copies of The Bible from their elementary and Jr High school libraries.
    This one surprised me.  
    Have you ever read that thing? Full of rape, incest, torture, murder, idolatry, misogyny...

Not really suitable for the youngsters.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    This one surprised me.  
    Have you ever read that thing? Full of rape, incest, torture, murder, idolatry, misogyny...

I clearly led a sheltered childhood where none of the juicy pieces were mentioned.
    I need a good summer kick-off book...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    This one surprised me.  

Yes, I have read it all, a couple times.  
    What surprised me is that so many of the "folks" around me, (who prolly haven't read it all) made this decision.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

This is interesting.  It seems that the real estate agents have had great success in pushing "We don't want you to be house poor, so let's LIMIT the price of the home to 2.5X your gross annual income."

Just like when you go to buy an engagement ring the sales person tells you "let's LIMIT you to 3 months gross salary" or the car dealers say "let's LIMIT the purchase price to about 5 months gross salary".

I also know that for many years the percentage of income that we spend on a combination of food and healthcare has remained about constant - as healthcare has become more expensive, food has become less expensive.

My questions about this are: 

What did people spend their household income on in the 1960's if it wasn't their home?

And is the average American better off now - living in a larger home, etc.?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    What did people spend their household income on in the 1960's if it wasn't their home?

It would be interesting to see household savings plotted against this.  This was the era of pensions, not self funded 401k's and IRAs.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:

This is interesting.  It seems that the real estate agents have had great success in pushing "We don't want you to be house poor, so let's LIMIT the price of the home to 2.5X your gross annual income."

Just like when you go to buy an engagement ring the sales person tells you "let's LIMIT you to 3 months gross salary" or the car dealers say "let's LIMIT the purchase price to about 5 months gross salary".

I also know that for many years the percentage of income that we spend on a combination of food and healthcare has remained about constant - as healthcare has become more expensive, food has become less expensive.

My questions about this are: 

And is the average American better off now - living in a larger home, etc.?
    I’m pretty sure rising healthcare costs have effectively suppressed wages, so had some similar thoughts.

It’s anecdotal, but what I know for sure is that when I moved to NC in my 20’s I could afford to buy a home.  These days the young faculty we’re hiring typically cannot do that, and are at best buying condos.  Home values have basically doubled while salaries have not.  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I found this on the interwebs.  I have no reason to doubt its accuracy.

"In Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic, authors John de Graaf, David Wann and Thomas H. Naylor examine the country's love affair with ever-larger houses, and point out that just after World War II, the size of an average, newly-built home (in Levittown, for example) was just 750 square feet.

In the 1950s, the size of the typical new home increased to 950 square feet, and "by the 60's 1,100 square feet was typical, and by the 70's, 1,350. Beginning with the recession in 2000, the average new house size stabilized to 2,320 (square feet)," according to the authors."

It does match my experience of our lower middle class family living in a 850 square foot house in the early 1960s and in 1969 we moved into a 950 square foot house where the 4 of us lived through high school.  We added a about a 150 square foot Florida room in the mid 1970s.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Foghorn - I’m sure that’s part of it.  Would be interesting to see another version of the above chart where what’s plotted is home value in terms of cost per square foot.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    It also important to note that these stats are only for those who are wealthy enough to own a home.  In general, home ownership has gone up over time.

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Options
    During this time household income went from meaning a single income in the majority of homes to were we are today with double income households.  You would expect that would show more in the graph.

Also, while household income is inflation adjusted, it does show some tracking with recessions which may just be the effect of recessions on unemployment and corporate spend on labor.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    My house was built in 1972. It is 1610 square feet but it is obvious that the single garage typical in the neighborhood was converted into extra living space and a laundry room during construction. 
    My parents first house in 1964 was 1000 square feet with 1 bathroom and multiple tiny rooms.
  • Legume
    Options
    My first house was a very neat 960 sqft, 3 bed 1 bath that we had three kids in while my SiL lived with us.  Tight, but it worked.  We moved before the kids were school age.  I somehow managed to lose money on it after paying the realtor
    and we were in it almost 7 years.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Just to toss a curve ball here-my first purchased residence was a Westsail 32' sailboat (berthed in Vallejo, CA-straight shot to the Pacific via the SF Bay) before meeting up with now SWMBO.  Tricked it out to hold four cases of beer in the now converted ice-box to fridge (bulk ice runs eliminated).  Easy adjustment as the overall living space below deck was well more than my space on a submarine.
    Besides being careful with the trash, I kept the ever present harbour (nod) ducks quite well fed.  That was a well executed Plan "A".
    SWMBO and my domestication became Plan "B".  And the rest is history. 
    Truth be told I would have now been LSD (Long Since Dead) had I not gotten  married. 
    However, the pro's and con's of that move are still alive and well.
    Stay healthy and safe out there- B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    "... my first purchased residence was a Westsail 32' ..."

I'm incredibly jealous. What a classic boat! When I was in high school in the early 70's that was the boat I dreamed/wanted to use for a solo circumnavigation. Had planned on ordering a bare hull kit and finishing as I was able. Never happened tho. Solid boats and I'm sure many of them are still around and all around the globe.

Did you ever do any bluewater sailing in it? Tell me you at least sailed it to Hawaii a few times (even if you actually didn't :) ).

• HeavyG
    Options

We first met Kandiss in this thread a couple of weeks ago. She felt the need to respond to Blaire's parody of her to set the record straight.

I think she definitely succeeded in confirming what many already suspected.

I have to admit tho that I do want to hear her elaborate in great detail on exactly what she means by "globes are NASA propaganda" if only for more lulz.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

What a legacy!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    I just noticed the new forum banner.

That's from the Flintstones, right? 
    Other girls may try to take me away