Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Global Warming - Right & Wrong

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,294
    lousubcap said:
    If it’s just a single turbine blade that failed then this isn’t all that big of a deal.  Based on what I know of these systems, that’s probably something of a black swan more than a harbinger of failures to come.

ive seen two replacement blades heading up into maine during covid. things are huge. im assuming it was maintenance issue during covid that trashed them. not sure if they fixed the lubrication issues they had a few years back, drums of petroleum lube a day according to a nuclear inspector that used to be my third party. his agency did most of the windmills around here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,718
    Sunday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth, scientists say, with the planet’s average temperature reaching 62.76 degrees Fahrenheit, breaking a record only set last year. Sarah Kaplan reports for The Washington Post.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,281
    lousubcap said:
    Sunday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth, scientists say, with the planet’s average temperature reaching 62.76 degrees Fahrenheit, breaking a record only set last year. Sarah Kaplan reports for The Washington Post.
    Well... but what do they really know?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,124
    Drill, Baby, Drill!   (dt, a few days ago)

^^^ I almost posted this on one of the popular threads on the main forum, with a bunch of complaints about how car and home insurance are going thru the roof, but I didn't want to sink anything.  
    Folks from the Gulf Coast, to California, and even to Marshalltown Iowa (!) are losing homeowner's insurance because of global warning,  yet refuse to address/vote for any solutions...  a couple neighborhoods just south of me, above SLC, just lost their homeowner's insurance, which means they're both unprotected, and can't sell their homes at all.  I live on the edge of a west-facing bench, and expect to lose my own homeowners insurance within five years.  

Once again.  I'm glad I'm old, and have no children.   :|  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• lousubcap
    Botch said:

^^^ I almost posted this on one of the popular threads on the main forum, with a bunch of complaints about how car and home insurance are going thru the roof, but I didn't want to sink anything.  
    Folks from the Gulf Coast, to California, and even to Marshalltown Iowa (!) are losing homeowner's insurance because of global warning,  yet refuse to address/vote for any solutions...  a couple neighborhoods just south of me, above SLC, just lost their homeowner's insurance, which means they're both unprotected, and can't sell their homes at all.  I live on the edge of a west-facing bench, and expect to lose my own homeowners insurance within five years.  

@Botch- With all I have read regarding the insurance industry very much contributing to inflation, I have failed to see where Utah is a target for the industry to crank up rates to the extremes or bail.  
    Any enlightenment appreciated at your convenience.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,671
    I still have insurance, got the bill this week. $2704.00 for a 1610 SF house that I originally paid $100,000 for. I put on a metal roof 6 years ago which is important . Locally if your shingle roof is 10 years old they make you put a new roof on before they will renew your policy. My parents are dealing with that on 2 houses right now.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,124
    lousubcap said:
    Botch said:

@Botch- With all I have read regarding the insurance industry very much contributing to inflation, I have failed to see where Utah is a target for the industry to crank up rates to the extremes or bail.  
    Any enlightenment appreciated at your convenience.  
    WRT homeowner's insurance, it's all about fire danger.  There was a pretty big one just above the Capitol in SLC just this weekend (2-day evacuation orders for the locals with $4M+ homes).  
    Car Insurance, I'm not as sure.  Hailstorms/tornadoes are increasing in Flyover Country, but I'm not sure that justifies the doubling of my own car insurance over the last two years; are the fire/hurricane losses in other states spread out over the entire country?  I don't know. 

I have very strong feelings about the racist/sexist discriminations in the auto insurance world, but that's not for this (or probably any) thread.   

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• Gulfcoastguy
    Botch since we are within a few months of each other, 64 for me in an hour, part of it has to do with age. Wage inflation with auto mechanics is another part, just dropped 290 today to flush the brakes and do the 70,000 mile service today.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,391
    @Gulfcoastguy - Happy birthday!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    One year to Medicare and SS. I didn’t win Powerball last night but I won the wake up lottery.
  • JohnInCarolina
    One year to Medicare and SS. I didn’t win Powerball last night but I won the wake up lottery.
    Any day above ground is a win.  Happy Birthday man!
  • lousubcap
    Congratulations on the successful completion of another lap of the sun.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,102
    Ha - missed that.  Happy bday!
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina

• JohnInCarolina

• dbCooper
    @JohnInCarolina - If you have a url to the publication where that graph originated please share it.  I'd like to read the article.
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 23
    dbCooper said:
    @JohnInCarolina - If you have a url to the publication where that graph originated please share it.  I'd like to read the article.
    You bet:

https://www.vox.com/climate/368324/hurricane-season-2024-gulf-mexico-ocean-warming
  • dbCooper
    @JohnInCarolina - thank you.
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    edited September 3
    just heard about corn sweat.   beware the corn fields.

Jeepers Creepers As Scarecrow In Cornfield by flinger50 on DeviantArt

fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Take ethanol out of gasoline and watch the amount of fertilize and water intensive corn plummet. Adding soybean or canola oil to diesel is 8 times as efficient and much easier on the land.
  • fishlessman
    Take ethanol out of gasoline and watch the amount of fertilize and water intensive corn plummet. Adding soybean or canola oil to diesel is 8 times as efficient and much easier on the land.

i would like to know how much gets dumped from leaking boat lines just on drinking water supplies, im always changing out lines when i find the problem. by then it could be alot of gallons wasted and doing its damage to the water supply. add in carb maintenance, climate pollution etc. its just plain evil stuff
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina

• lousubcap
    From the ember-climate.org website

United Kingdom

Wind power has displaced coal and the UK is now targeting a fully decarbonised electricity system

The United Kingdom relied on fossil fuels for 40% of its electricity in 2023. Its per capita emissions were below the global average, and three times lower than in 2010. 

The country still relies on gas for 34% of its electricity production, but its coal phase-out is almost complete with the last remaining coal plant set to close by October 2024. In 2023, coal generation was about 30 times lower than in 2013, at just 1.4% of the UK’s electricity mix. 

The expansion of renewable energy has been the driver of this collapse in coal generation. The UK’s largest source of clean electricity in 2023 was wind (28%), up from 8% in 2013. Wind and solar combined accounted for 33% of total electricity generation, which is above the global average (13%) and just behind its neighbour Ireland (37%). 

Britain aims for 87% renewable electricity by 2030while the IEA’s Net Zero Emissions scenario sets out a global target of 60% renewable electricity by 2030.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Interesting. What were the other sources of power generation? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,015
    They're screwed on windless cloudy days, right?  ;)
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    However I seem to remember that the current president cut off natural gas exports. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,842
    However I seem to remember that the current president cut off natural gas exports. 
    There’s Fox News and then there’s reality. 

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2024-06/Natural%20Gas%20Imports%20and%20Exports%20Monthly%20March%202024.pdf