Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Global Warming - Right & Wrong

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    I'm guessing insurance's love of risk mgmt & statistics keeps them focused on things like probability of significant property damage. I'm sure the income from NC outweighs the risk of a catastrophic payout.  When that balance flips, that's when they're pulling out.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Considering all of the fires out West(including hurricanes this year), hurricanes from Mexico to Maine, tornados and droughts in the midwest, floods every time the snow melts in the rust belt, I wonder just where the perfect remaining Eden is for Farmers? Are they going to put seaports in Oklahoma? Is the Mouse going to relocate to Kansas?
    Your point is well made, there are plenty of natural disasters everywhere.  Nevertheless, I think insurance of any kind might soon be hard to find in the Gulf states.
    You are also in the hurricane zone.
    True but NC is a big state with only a relatively small portion in the target zone.  

Plus, the state has decreed that “climate change” can’t be used as a justification for any coastal planning.  So… we’ve got that going for us.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options
    Considering all of the fires out West(including hurricanes this year), hurricanes from Mexico to Maine, tornados and droughts in the midwest, floods every time the snow melts in the rust belt, I wonder just where the perfect remaining Eden is for Farmers? Are they going to put seaports in Oklahoma? Is the Mouse going to relocate to Kansas?
    Your point is well made, there are plenty of natural disasters everywhere.  Nevertheless, I think insurance of any kind might soon be hard to find in the Gulf states.
    True but NC is a big state with only a relatively small portion in the target zone.  

Plus, the state has decreed that “climate change” can’t be used as a justification for any coastal planning.  So… we’ve got that going for us.
    Why didn't they just outlaw climate change, that's what I would do.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

I think if you’re going to outlaw it that means you have to believe it exists in the first place.  And, well…

It is a bit surreal at times.  We visit the beach and rent homes right on the water.  They’re all on stilts and still sell for millions, even though it’s clear they’re going to be swept into the ocean sooner rather than later.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:

I think if you’re going to outlaw it that means you have to believe it exists in the first place.  And, well…

It is a bit surreal at times.  We visit the beach and rent homes right on the water.  They’re all on stilts and still sell for millions, even though it’s clear they’re going to be swept into the ocean sooner rather than later.
    I have friends in Wilmington, NC.  I think some part of town is impacted every year by a near miss and they get a direct hit every few years, but I think the last big one to hit with any significant damage was in the late 2000's and still nothing like the damage you see in Florida or the gulf coast.  Must be water temp or building standards or something.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

I have friends in Wilmington, NC.  I think some part of town is impacted every year by a near miss and they get a direct hit every few years, but I think the last big one to hit with any significant damage was in the late 2000's and still nothing like the damage you see in Florida or the gulf coast.  Must be water temp or building standards or something.
    My guess is that it’s mostly geography.  Storms tend to mostly blow by us than directly hit us.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

My guess is that it’s mostly geography.  Storms tend to mostly blow by us than directly hit us.
    Except for the idiots who build on barrier islands.
  • Legume
    Options
    Well, they'll just get high rates for being halfway in the ocean, but not dense enough to chase an insurance company away.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    We have bigger problems in Maine than hurricanes.....windmills
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,522
    Options
    Surprising story on tonight's PBS Newshour, about the US state using the highest percentage of renewable energy; skip to 43:10 or so:

https://www.pbs.org/video/december-4-2023-pbs-newshour-full-episode-1701666001/

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,591
    Options
    Botch said:
    Surprising story on tonight's PBS Newshour, about the US state using the highest percentage of renewable energy; skip to 43:10 or so:

https://www.pbs.org/video/december-4-2023-pbs-newshour-full-episode-1701666001/

I think you'll enjoy this, https://youtu.be/7eJKTYc_v-I?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think we can safely file this one under wrong:

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,513
    Options
    Can't fix stupid right there.  And yet, the base is going full-bore into prepper mode. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,522
    Options
    Extremely wonky/nerdy, but I'm gonna leave this here:

https://youtu.be/N-_X42WGhqo?si=lwf1rekCmcn2GVE2

The Waveform Clips gang interview a Billiards ewetuber-turned NYC comedian-turned MS-degreed climatologist/organic chemist about climate change, carbon credits, profits vs. "common good", recyclables and renewable energy; he also brought along an engineer-turned-comedian, so there's that.  The video may be interesting to climate/engineering/retired geeks like myself, but frightfully boring to most others.  
    Distinguished Guest/Burt Reynolds clone guy said "every molecule of every element", David equated a Computer Scientist degree with an Engineering degree, and Marquez badly mispronounces "soldering", so the WC gang gets a Minus-3 carbon credit for the video overall.    

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,101
    Options
    This article is focused on climate change although it also applies to other areas.
    "Why people still fall for fake news about climate change"

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Worth a look: (Edit-from Bloomberg)
    This was a year when the world experienced its hottest 12 months on record, when China connected more new coal plants than ever before, US oil production hit the highest level of any country in history and shipment volumes for liquified natural gas reached an all-time high. Moreover, David Fickling writes in Bloomberg Opinion, the annual United Nations climate meeting in Dubai left fossil fuel producers grinning and climate campaigners fuming. In other words, there’s been no shortage of bad climate news in 2023. But worse still, Fickling writes, is the amount of troubling information that’s been drowned out by the bigger stories. Here are three important issues that have flown below the radar.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The renowned Toronto snowman whisperer is one of SWMBO's siblings' S-I-L 
    (can't get the X post to show)

https://x.com/TorontoStar/status/1739954038358032746?s=20
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,367
    Options
    The renowned Toronto snowman whisperer is one of SWMBO's siblings' S-I-L 
    (can't get the X post to show)

https://x.com/TorontoStar/status/1739954038358032746?s=20
    If you replace "x.com" with "twitter.com" they'll show.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks @HeavyG, much appreciated.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Interesting comments here regarding oil:

THE ECONOMY — “You won’t hear President Biden talking about it much, but a key record has been broken during his watch: The United States is producing more oil than any country ever has,” write WaPo’s Evan Halper and Toluse Olorunnipa.

That, of course, is helping reduce inflation. Nationwide, the average gallon of gasoline now costs $3.11, per AAA. (It’s under $3 a gallon in the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia, though the prices in Arizona, Nevada and Pennsylvania are among the nation’s very highest.) And, per WaPo, “analysts project it could stay that way leading up to the presidential election, potentially assuaging the economic anxieties of swing state voters who will be crucial to Biden’s hopes of a second term.”

And yet, the issue isn’t so straightforward for Biden: “[I]t is not something the president publicly boasts about. The politics of oil are particularly tricky for Democrats, whose chances for victory in the 2024 elections could hinge on whether young, climate-conscious voters come out in big numbers. Many of those voters want to hear that Biden is doing everything in his power to keep oil in the ground.”

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    And the oil is mainly produced in states that vote red. The same for most new EV factories, battery factories, and wind mill installations. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    And the oil is mainly produced in states that vote red. The same for most new EV factories, battery factories, and wind mill installations. 
    Yep.  The EV and battery factories are mostly a direct result of the bipartisan infrastructure bill, I believe. 

Biden does deserve some credit for being the President of all Americans, even the ones who didn’t vote for him.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,054
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Legume
    Options
    Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Melting ice could create chaos in US weather and quickly overwhelm oceans, studies warn

• lousubcap
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Frank that “news” site is one that is backed almost entirely by the oil and gas industry.
  • lousubcap
    edited February 16
    Options
    I get it but does that mean the data are flawed??
    Edit: Always remember, "Where you stand is where you sit."
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I get it but does that mean the data are flawed??
    Edit: Always remember, "Where you stand is where you sit."
    I would look at the data with a good amount of skepticism.  There are lies, damn lies, and statistics…