Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today we just said farewell to a truly great American icon - John Madden

Options
What a life and so impactful across football, broadcasting, bus travel, All-Madden selections, video games, Turducken and so much more in life. Larger than life in so many respects.
Condolences to his family, friends, all who got to know him up close and personal and his legions of fans world-wide.    

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    RIP my friend and my first and favorite NFL Coach 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Damn I had not heard that. Another legend gone. Man I hate to hear that. 
    Snellville, GA

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I missed the Fox documentary on Christmas day.  I see it will be available to stream on 1/3/22 on ESPN+, Peacock, and Tubi.  I will have to wait to see it.

I grew up with him in the broadcast booth.  

RIP Coach.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Christmas Day they had a special on about him. Sorry to hear of his passing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I missed the Fox documentary on Christmas day.  I see it will be available to stream on 1/3/22 on ESPN+, Peacock, and Tubi.  I will have to wait to see it.

I grew up with him in the broadcast booth.  

RIP Coach.
    I suspected he was failing when they aired the documentary and there was a good amount of nostalgic banter amongst the on air personalities. The man changed the way and level of enjoyment for a couple generations. The league and players owe him a great amount of homage. RIP. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    One of my favorite commercials. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RIP Madden.  Great guy, knew how to live well.  "I haven't worked a day in my life".

The turducken has been around forever here, I think he popularized it to the masses outside Louisiana when he was introduced to one on national TV.  IMO, great novelty, but they're not worth the work (or money if you buy one).
    Options
    Sprayed some "Tough Actin' Tinactin" on my feet this morning.

Madden is no doubt an iconic man. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Sprayed some "Tough Actin' Tinactin" on my feet this morning.

Madden is no doubt an iconic man. 
    There’s a guy that cares about his feet!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice remembrance of Madden here over at ESPN.com - it's actually from last spring, but has been reposted with his passing:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31215567/coach-broadcaster-esports-icon-legacy-john-madden
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Perhaps there’s football in heaven?  If so, I hope these guys are part of it!

Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    RIP Madden.  Great guy, knew how to live well.  "I haven't worked a day in my life".

The turducken has been around forever here, I think he popularized it to the masses outside Louisiana when he was introduced to one on national TV.  IMO, great novelty, but they're not worth the work (or money if you buy one).
    Tell me about it, lol  :) Had to get it off the bucket list  =)
    canuckland
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    As a kid, I always got a kick out of the 12 legged turkeys he had for his TDay broadcast.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    RIP John Madden!
    and on a lighter note . . . I got to appreciate JM more through the comedy
    of Frank Caliendo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AryGHXh3nzQ

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu5xc

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    John Madden: I love to see a fat guy score.
    Pat Summerall: Why is that John?
    John Madden: Because first you get a fat guy spike, then you get a fat guy dance.

Classic.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I hope you caught the opening of any network NFL broadcasts today.  The tributes were appropriate and sincere in recognizing the life of the man who launched the NFL on the trajectory of where it is today.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.