Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What’s on the Menu for Halloween?

Options
Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
My Mom used to make a big pot of Oyster Stew on Halloween.  It sent us kids out warm and satisfied.  Keeping warm is the trick here in Michigan on Halloween because it’s frequently cold and rainy.  So that’s what I’m making on Halloween.  It’s made on the boxy thing in the kitchen.  So what say you?  Anything special or traditional on the menu?  

We usually give out big sized Hershey bars to trick or treaters.  We live on a dead end road that’s not in a subdivision so we get very few kids at our door.  
Due to Covid, I haven’t seen a good TP job on somebody’s trees.  I kinda miss that.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    When kids were younger we used to do a big pot of chilli.  In Illinois, Halloween could be 80 or 30.  You never knew.  The chilli was great on the cold ones.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Stew and chili sound pretty dang good!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Pizza on the BGE 
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I tend to have Reece's and Snickers for supper on Halloween.  I never have as many ghosts and goblins as I buy for.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Turbo Brisket for me!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited October 2021
    Options
    4 Racks of Plate Ribs, some Pulled Beef , Pilaf , probably grilled veggies 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Probably takeout. I will be traveling on Sunday and likely won’t get back in time to make pediatric dentists wealthy. Anyone need the KitKats, Reese’s, and Skittles that I bought a month ago?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Haven't decided, but our neighborhood does trick or treating in the afternoon, so we usually braise short ribs - the prep is done before it starts and is done after everything is wrapped up.  SWMBO Jr has a get together at a friend's house that may shorten that schedule, so we might end up doing miso smothered chicken.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Haven’t figured out dinner, but I’m going to try my hand at making Halloween cookies. With hot chocolate for the kids, and hot buttered rum for the grown-ups. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Making up a big heaping tureen of Lit’s favorite. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What a douchey thing to say.  I can’t say that I’m surprised.
    Flint, Michigan
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Ok. So that’s one person so far with no sense of humor. 

Noted. 

C’mon man. Have you *ever* given another guy grief. Or is it all “i love you man” where you come from. 

You met littlesteven. He was one of the best at this game. 

Fishing with him was three days of great food and horrible jokes and derision. Hahahaha

• Bellavista52
    Options
    X3 on Chili! Where I live we have not gotten a single trick or treater in 25 years.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    On the occasions that I hand out candy I usually buy a pizza. One “kid” asked for a slice instead of Snickers.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Dunno, won't be home

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    sausage and peppers, quick cook
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
     peanut butter cups and gin and tonics. dead end street with no street lights, no one ventures there or is it out of there........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    We do pork carnitas every year.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My Mom used to make a big pot of Oyster Stew on Halloween.  It sent us kids out warm and satisfied.  Keeping warm is the trick here in Michigan on Halloween because it’s frequently cold and rainy.  So that’s what I’m making on Halloween.  It’s made on the boxy thing in the kitchen.  So what say you?  Anything special or traditional on the menu?  

We usually give out big sized Hershey bars to trick or treaters.  We live on a dead end road that’s not in a subdivision so we get very few kids at our door.  
    Due to Covid, I haven’t seen a good TP job on somebody’s trees.  I kinda miss that.
    Oyster Stew. My favorite way to consume oysters. No idea about Sunday dinner as yet. Will be eating at my daughters, and enjoying the grandson experiencing Halloween for the first time (18 months).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
     peanut butter cups and gin and tonics. dead end street with no street lights, no one ventures there or is it out of there........
    I may just invite myself over. Those are 2 of my favorite food groups. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Like some others we haven’t had any t/o/t for 37 years! Reason I know that time? A neighbor who is now 47 years old has told me he tripped when leaving on my long DARK driveway and cried all the way home! And he was the ONLY one that year and for 2 years before that! I don’t think kids even back then, much less nowadays will walk the 160 feet down our driveway to get whatever candy we might offer! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Like some others we haven’t had any t/o/t for 37 years! Reason I know that time? A neighbor who is now 47 years old has told me he tripped when leaving on my long DARK driveway and cried all the way home! And he was the ONLY one that year and for 2 years before that! I don’t think kids even back then, much less nowadays will walk the 160 feet down our driveway to get whatever candy we might offer! 
    Haha Ron that is great.  Did you and Pat have a signature candy you handed out back in the day?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    Haha Ron that is great.  Did you and Pat have a signature candy you handed out back in the day?
    No…not at all…when that kid surprised us by ringing our doorbell then Pat opened the doors and said “Hello Matthew…wait for Ron to find you something.”

I’m pretty sure back then I was eating Snicker bars so I probably gave him one of my $.10 or were they $.15 clear back then?  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Brisket!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’m considering doing a pizza with ketchup and candy corn.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SGH said:
    I’m considering doing a pizza with ketchup and candy corn.  
    That would scare me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    For openers.   Cajun marinated chicken skewers.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Clam chowder here pretty pedestrian and the weather is unusually warm but I am sure it will hit the spot.  Fred’s post definitely played a part in that decision but I have never had let alone heard of oyster stew.  Need to figure that one out. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Double Tito's and soda for me at hotel bar in San Antonio. Was supposed to fly out this afternoon but got caught in the American Airlines cancellation $hit show this weekend. #stuckinSA
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    U_tarded said:
     I have never had let alone heard of oyster stew.  Need to figure that one out. 
    You definitely need to figure that one out. And if you haven’t ever had oyster gumbo add it to the to do list as well 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.