Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    How many sliders can you put on a mini max? 

the answer a bakers dozen

Are you sure the MM is done burning off VOCs?

😀
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:

Roasted radishes with brown butter and garlic.  First time I've cooked radishes, nice change.
    Looks tasty. And, something different. 

What did you serve it with? Do you eat it as a side?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @caliking definitely a side.  They turn out potato-ish, but lighter.  Slight sweetness that you get with roasted veg, a little peppery but no heat.  I tossed them in a hot, lightly oiled skillet to get a little char going, then into a toaster oven @425 convection for a little while (maybe 15-20 min total), add the red onion wedges, check for tenderness and then toss in brown butter and herbs.  Simple.  I think I I could eat a boot if tossed in brown butter.
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    @caliking definitely a side.  They turn out potato-ish, but lighter.  Slight sweetness that you get with roasted veg, a little peppery but no heat.  I tossed them in a hot, lightly oiled skillet to get a little char going, then into a toaster oven @425 convection for a little while (maybe 15-20 min total), add the red onion wedges, check for tenderness and then toss in brown butter and herbs.  Simple.  I think I I could eat a boot if tossed in brown butter.
    Thanks. And, yes... brown butter makes everything mo' bettah.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Is this like truffle butter?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    A recipe that my mother made a few times growing up was mizithra and brown butter. So simple, but so incredibly good. Not the recipe she used, but I found this online….

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Made some Chinese takeout, ribs and pork fried rice.

wow the color on those RIBS -  :o what cut of pork? and can you share the marinade? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Legume
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    A recipe that my mother made a few times growing up was mizithra and brown butter. So simple, but so incredibly good. Not the recipe she used, but I found this online….

Have had that at spaghetti factory.  What's your mom's recipe ? How is it different?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Have had that at spaghetti factory.  What's your mom's recipe ? How is it different?
    I have never seen it, so don’t know. Was something she made in my childhood. Haven’t had it at the Spaghetti Factory either. May have to ask her for hers the next time I am at my folks’ place. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

TIL that mizithra is a cheese, not a Pokemon character. Never heard of it before, but should be able to find it here. Thanks!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @caliking

If you make it, a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper is advised!
  • Legume
    Options
    @caliking it's kind of like cotija if you can't find it.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    caliking said:
    Last night. Marrow bones have gone from being free, to $0.99/lb. Left a few un-gremolataed for the kid. Turns out that he likes gremolata. 

Marrow bones used to be free? Looks awesome! Will have to try this.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    Last night. Marrow bones have gone from being free, to $0.99/lb. Left a few un-gremolataed for the kid. Turns out that he likes gremolata. 

That's about 25 bucks of marrow bones up here. I give my dog them on the boat and I think he would bite me if I didn't.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    NDG said:
    Made some Chinese takeout, ribs and pork fried rice.

wow the color on those RIBS -  :o what cut of pork? and can you share the marinade? 
    Yeah that color is unbelievable!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • craigsotheregg
    Options
    @NDG they are St Louis this. Red food coloring in the marinade. Here is a link to recipe. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/takeout-style-chinese-spare-ribs-2807608
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Recipie for brown butter?  Usually just heat butter till it seperates, then add in some garlic and maybe some herbs and heat till solids brown up.  Am I not understanding what brown butter is?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Recipie for brown butter?  Usually just heat butter till it seperates, then add in some garlic and maybe some herbs and heat till solids brown up.  Am I not understanding what brown butter is?
    What I meant is that proportions and ingredients in versions of mizithra and brown butter can vary slightly from one recipe to the next. I do not know how the recipe used in my household compares against the one that I shared. Thanks for laying out the brown butter though. Made me smile a bit because it was somewhat reminiscent of childhood insults I remember hearing on the bus and in the schoolyard. “Your mom’s so stupid that when she went to make ice cubes, she forgot the recipe.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

What I meant is that proportions and ingredients in versions of mizithra and brown butter can vary slightly from one recipe to the next. I do not know how the recipe used in my household compares against the one that I shared. Thanks for laying out the brown butter though. Made me smile a bit because it was somewhat reminiscent of childhood insults I remember hearing on the bus and in the schoolyard. “Your mom’s so stupid that when she went to make ice cubes, she forgot the recipe.”

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Mushroom gravy smothered pork chops. Mashed potatoes ,seasoned green beans and biscuits
    This is right up my alley.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    caliking said:

That's about 25 bucks of marrow bones up here. I give my dog them on the boat and I think he would bite me if I didn't.
    I can relate. These 7” bones were $10 each. My #150 newfound is supposed to keep them outside but has a habit of sneaking them inside after dark. I’ve given up…

My yard is littered with them right now. Have to keep the walkways clear for the snowblower. The neighbors dogs come down in the morning for theirs as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it