Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited March 2021
    Options
    New security cameras after my last ones got fried by a lightning strike near the house. Also had to replace a circuit breaker, a light switch for the front porch lights, a new router, and sending my Bose system in for repair cause its cheaper than a new soundbar and it wasn't even my house that got hit. Dang you nature dang you to he!!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    New security cameras after my last ones got fried by a lightning strike near the house. Also had to replace a circuit breaker, a light switch for the front porch lights, a new router, and sending my Bose system in for repair cause its cheaper than a new soundbar and it wasn't even my house that got hit. Dang you nature dang you to he!!
    I lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, it got a huge amount of lightning (I think parts of TX, and FL, get more).  I lost 3 answering machines, thank goodness my expensive stereo survived.  
    Here in Utard, my built-in subwoofer amp got fried.  I had a "whole-house" surge suppressor installed (popular in Florida, I was told) but last September, when my power lines were knocked down in 99-mph winds, and after 3 days without power, the local power company restored full power, while the lines were still on the ground, and my lights slammed on and off, my backyard ignited, and my powered sub fried again.  
    Eventually, I'll get that subwoofer amp replaced.  Again.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Botch said:
    I lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, it got a huge amount of lightning (I think parts of TX, and FL, get more).  I lost 3 answering machines, thank goodness my expensive stereo survived.  
    Here in Utard, my built-in subwoofer amp got fried.  I had a "whole-house" surge suppressor installed (popular in Florida, I was told) but last September, when my power lines were knocked down in 99-mph winds, and after 3 days without power, the local power company restored full power, while the lines were still on the ground, and my lights slammed on and off, my backyard ignited, and my powered sub fried again.  
    Eventually, I'll get that subwoofer amp replaced.  Again.  
    You should start going to church or something.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Trying to improve indoor air quality. We've had a unit in the bedroom for a while and SWMBO claims it helps. This one goes in the main area of the house.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Trying to improve indoor air quality. We've had a unit in the bedroom for a while and SWMBO claims it helps. This one goes in the main area of the house.

Recent issue of New York Mag had an interesting article about air treatment filtering you might find of interest - https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/03/molekule-air-purifiers-business.html

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    5lbs of local roasted coffee.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My Shirley spec pricing spreadsheet keeps getting more and more expensive. I wonder if 3/8” thick 30” diameter pipe and 1/2” thick firebox is overkill.    :|
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    You could look at what LoneStarZ grills, Lang and other stick burners are offering to assess.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    Options
    they’re not over charging me, I’m just overbuilding/overdoing it.  Hey, it’s 1/2” thick! The door! Look at it!  

I work in the steel biz so I do personally enjoy the deer in the headlights look of friends and family that at least try and look interested. 

Also, the Shirley fam lives in the next town over, so I’m keeping it as local as possible. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    My Shirley spec pricing spreadsheet keeps getting more and more expensive. I wonder if 3/8” thick 30” diameter pipe and 1/2” thick firebox is overkill.    :|
    Actual benefits of those thicknesses?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    Theft resistance.  Or the opposite 
    Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    1. Heat retention. Although this is not always a benefit with an offset. You reach a point where heat retention is so good that you are basically baking for lack of a better word. When and where you reach it depends on many things. But that’s a discussion for another day. 
    2. Longevity. 
    3. Durability. 
    4. Holds value longer. 
    5. Less temperature fluctuations. 
    6. Performs better in colder climate than thinner metal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2021
    Options

Also groceries, but you’re not interested in chicken thighs or onions.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    Options
    SGH said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    1. Heat retention. Although this is not always a benefit with an offset. You reach a point where heat retention is so good that you are basically baking for lack of a better word. When and where you reach it depends on many things. But that’s a discussion for another day. 
    2. Longevity. 
    3. Durability. 
    4. Holds value longer. 
    5. Less temperature fluctuations. 
    6. Performs better in colder climate than thinner metal. 

You can order an insulated firebox but both Tyler and Paul have recommended against it for this reason. Yet, people still do it for some reason. I guess if you live in a cold climate it can help.  I don't want a giant steel Komado. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

50/50 durability and bragging rights. I'm sure 1/4" would be more than sufficient, but I've already waited 2 years... why not max it out. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Well the aforementioned pizza oven auction has hit my budget ceiling (for a impractically oversized cooking appliance). I did however have the wherewithal to mention it to a local restauranteur In a selfish attempt to have a local edible pizza source.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Acn said:

How much was it? Local grocer had 3 bottles for $110 each. Lasted about an hour. No need to pay double what it’s actually worth 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2021
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Acn said:

How much was it? Local grocer had 3 bottles for $110 each. Lasted about an hour. No need to pay double what it’s actually worth 
    $69.99.  Local guys around here can’t get it; only the big chains and they usually have raffles, then you have a 2 week window to actually go to the store and buy it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Acn said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Acn said:

$69.99.  Local guys around here can’t get it; only the big chains and they usually have raffles, then you have a 2 week window to actually go to the store and buy it.
    @ACN- that is fresh out of the barrel.  But any time you can get it for that price is a great deal.  Congrats on the score!
    The big box stores here haven't seen Blanton's in well over a year.  The boutique shops know what they have and charge accordingly although I have not seen 'em go above around $85/bottle.  All this and 58 miles form the distillery...
    EH Taylor small batch and especially single barrel are unicorns here.  Last single barrel I got was from Dallas and the small batch from Charleston. 
    I recently have acquired two Blanton's barrel strength bottles; one From St Maarten and one from Japan.  The further the distance the better chance to find it, I guess.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cross lap jig.  I did it the hard way in the past.   
    Options
    Really been missing you guys my online friend count is low. Bought a boat for shits and giggles. 
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    My buddy owns a bar/restaurant in Buffalo NY and all of the good bourbons are on allocation. You basically earn points or credits towards the allocated products based on your overall purchases and especially the products they want to push. Your are then allocated so much of various products based on those purchases.  Cost of a bottle of Blantons $39. Absolutely  insane.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Received this gift  :)

canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lit said:
    Really been missing you guys my online friend count is low. Bought a boat for shits and giggles. 
    Nice boat 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    This sucky thing came today
    Options
    This sucky thing came today

I love my VacMaster. Looks like it got a facelift over the 350
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options

Raycon E25s, my first set of earbuds.  
    Now I need to figure out how to put music on my phone.  :blush:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:

In your phone brother....will do you no good to be on top of it. Enjoy the notes.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Botch said:

Old fossils like use could use iTunes since we have the iPhone. Newer people use Spotify.