Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    We put a standby generator in for the house today.  It's hooked up to our natural gas line, powers the whole house in case of a power outage.  

The wife was motivated to get one in no small part due to all of the meat I have in the garage freezer #winning 
    You should thank Texas while you’re at it.
    Not a felon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Congrats on convincing her freezers warm up quickly!
    Legume said:
    We put a standby generator in for the house today.  It's hooked up to our natural gas line, powers the whole house in case of a power outage.  

The wife was motivated to get one in no small part due to all of the meat I have in the garage freezer #winning 
    You should thank Texas while you’re at it.
    We'd actually ordered this months ago.  A lot of the generators are on serious back order, so it took some time for the company to be able to get to us.  But the whole Texas thing certainly did remind us of its value, no question.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,493

Nice! Generac? A whole house natural gas system is in our plans this summer. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,982
    ColtsFan said:

Nice! Generac? A whole house natural gas system is in our plans this summer. 
    I’ll PM you the deets.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,064
    What are you doing with the wood bleach @nolaegghead?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,458
    @alaskanassasin - never knew OA was used for bleaching wood. We used to use it as a cheat when surface polishing marble. You could run through 1/2 the grits then hit with OA and have a mirror finish in no time flat 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Cocktail pitcher and bar spoons.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Dip is from Aldi. 
  • nolaegghead
    What are you doing with the wood bleach @nolaegghead?

Oxalic acid has so many uses.  It converts insoluble salts and oxides into soluble compounds that can be wiped away.  It's the active ingredient in aluma brite, barkeepers friend, hull cleaners, etc. 

I bought it to clean metals for welding, the hull of my boat, sinks, pots and pans, utensils....*and* to bleach wood (deck, woodwork projects, etc).  

I'm just trying it out buying in the pure form vs derived in products, but I'll probably buy it in larger volumes.  It's also cheap.  Fairly safe if you know what you're doing.  Don't eat/breath/get on skin/eyes...esp concentrated.  Not like stronger acids and bases. 

It's a reducing agent (different from many acids).  It will get stains out of your laundry that nothing else will.  I learned that in college when I had an accident with some sulfur compound.

SonVolt said:
    Botch said:
    SonVolt said:
    Why they would cheap out on the only part you actually touch when using is a big let down. 
    If you run a lot of hot water through the sprayer, plastic will insulate your fingers better than metal would.  
    Just spitballing here.  

They could have used a true stainless veneer over the plastic internals for this part. The cheaper Kohler faucets I checked out at Home Depot were designed this way. It's just a minor quibble, but disappointing nonetheless. 
    We have a nice Italian stainless tap. The nozzle is stainless over plastic. The only issue we had (replaced under warranty) was the end of the nozzle splitting because of scale build up. Keep the plastic descaled with vinegar from time to time.
  • nolaegghead
    Oxalic acid is excellent in removing scale and especially rust. 
    Fun fact: The salt of oxalic acid (oxalate) is found in many foods:

• Beans.
    • Beer.
    • Beets.
    • Berries.
    • Chocolate.
    • Coffee.
    • Cranberries.
    • Dark green vegetables, such as spinach.

• Beans.
    • Beer.
    • Beets.
    • Berries.
    • Chocolate.
    • Coffee.
    • Cranberries.

Wait what... there are chemicals in my food??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

• Beans.
    • Beer.
    • Beets.
    • Berries.
    • Chocolate.
    • Coffee.
    • Cranberries.

Rhubarb!
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:

• Beans.
    • Beer.
    • Beets.
    • Berries.
    • Chocolate.
    • Coffee.
    • Cranberries.

Rhubarb!
    Yes!  Like taro (elephant ears), the leaves and stems have a ton of oxalate in them, which, in some cases form crystals that are microscopic spikes that cause all kinds of damage.  The oxalate breaks down to harmless chemicals with cooking.

Avoid getting that milky goo on you if you are cutting down elephant ears.

Me and Cindy have been kicking this around for a couple of years.   What brand Generac?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Cindy bought this Saturday.   Claimed our '06 pilot with 150k wasn't safe to drive to Raleigh several times a week to visit our granddaughter. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810

I wish I had your money. Must be nice. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    On a more serious note, congratulations on the generator 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    SGH said:

I wish I had your money. Must be nice. 
    We did prior to January 20th brother, but sadly, not now.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• SGH
    The more I think about it you should of installed a windmill or solar panel. It’s people like you that are causing all this global warming. 

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    dbCooper said:
    Got a pair of Allbirds, couple of my friends were influencers  on the purchase.  Initial impression is super comfortable, they'll be great driving shoe on road trips, good for light walking and lounging.  Durability and longevity may be issues.  Off-road use probably not a good idea.
    I wore them to Costco this afternoon, had two people mistake me for Leonardo DiCaprio.  So there is that.  ;)

I've got the light gray slip on ones. I basically use them as house slippers since they are slightly to large. I really needed 10.5 W but Allbirds doesn't do that size so it had to be 11 regular width.
  • JohnInCarolina
    bucky925 said:

Me and Cindy have been kicking this around for a couple of years.   What brand Generac?
    I’ll PM you.
  • JohnInCarolina
    SGH said:
    The more I think about it you should of installed a windmill or solar panel. It’s people like you that are causing all this global warming. 
    Solar is in the plans as well.  We have a large space in the back of the house that gets a lot of sun that we want to put an array in.  
  • CPFC1905 said:
    bucky925 said:
    Cindy bought this Saturday.   Claimed our '06 pilot with 150k wasn't safe to drive to Raleigh several times a week to visit our granddaughter. 

Thats one hell of a hill you live on.  Use a land anchor to park it?  Got a ladder for a footpath? 
    Lol. This reminds me of a house we rented in Costa Rica. Was the steepest grade I had ever driven on - by a very long shot. Was maybe just slightly less steep than the above. 😉 The ocean view at the top was well worth it though. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    I went to the stealership to day and looked at the new demo that came in a couple of hours earlier. The one that I ordered is white where this one is black and the interior is a light gray.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    I went to the stealership to day and looked at the new demo that came in a couple of hours earlier. The one that I ordered is white where this one is black and the interior is a light gray.

I usually have an idea of the make when I see a new vehicle. I'm clueless on this one. What am I looking at? Oh and congrats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota