Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Sea2Ski said:
    SonVolt said:
    Need a new pair of sunglasses. My 10 yo Revo's finally cracked. Eyeballin' these -

https://www.costadelmar.com/en-us/sunglasses/RIC-97963819046
    FWIW:  I love my Costas. I have had them for 8 and 7 years.  I am on the water a lot and I have found that if you get a pair of glasses with the right color lenses that fit tight to your face, those things are more important than brand.

Are these for the water? 
    I have the Fathom because the frame fits me and do not let any light in. Not even on the sides.  I have them in  580g lens in blue mirror for bright light, and another pair in the 580P in green mirror for all other conditions.  The green lets in too much light if on the water on bright days for me.  But in nearly all other conditions, they are just about perfect.
    The times I have had to send them back, everything was replaced for free (mine are prescription so my eye dr takes care of it all - even shipping.)

I absolutely love my Maui Jim glasses.  That is all I have owned for the past 15 years.  Great customer service if you scratch your lenses as well.  We travel to Mexico a lot and they are amazing with the glare on the water and beach.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    edited April 2021
    I really love my Costa Del Mar Tuna Alleys w/glass lenses - the build quality and clarity. Just don't like how heavy they are on the bridge of my nose. Their Rinconcito line seems like a lightweight version in a more traditional square frame. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    SonVolt said:
    I really love my Costa Del Mar Tuna Alleys w/glass lenses - the build quality and clarity. Just don't like how heavy they are on the bridge of my nose. Their Rinconcito line seems like a lightweight version in a more traditional square frame. 
    I don’t care who owns them (despite hating the sunglass monopoly BS) but I will keep buying Costas until I find something better.  I used to use Natives but saw the quality drop a few years ago.  I think my Costas are fantails with the brown mirrored glass lenses.  My eyes tend toward light sensitivity as well and these cut the glare perfectly for me.
    Not a felon
  • SonVolt
    Just pulled the trigger. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191

been fishing these for 30 years or so, new model came out this year. deep water jigger

SAMMEE

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,064
    Legume said:
    SonVolt said:
    I don’t care who owns them (despite hating the sunglass monopoly BS) but I will keep buying Costas until I find something better.  I used to use Natives but saw the quality drop a few years ago.  I think my Costas are fantails with the brown mirrored glass lenses.  My eyes tend toward light sensitivity as well and these cut the glare perfectly for me.
    Luxotica warranty and customer service sucks.  I have a pair of costa Rincon and they will be my last. Frames are floppy and lenses are loose and rattle.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    There should be a discernible difference between gas station glasses and ones that cost hundreds of dollars
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    Legume said:
    SonVolt said:
    Luxotica warranty and customer service sucks.  I have a pair of costa Rincon and they will be my last. Frames are floppy and lenses are loose and rattle.

Weird. You didn't get a pair of counterfeits off Amazon by any chance did you? It happens all the time w/high-end branded products. My Costas are built like a tank and there's a remarkable difference in quality between them and my ever revolving pair of cheap disposable sunglasses. 
  • alaskanassasin
    edited April 2021
    SonVolt said: no
    Legume said:
    SonVolt said:

Weird. You didn't get a pair of counterfeits off Amazon by any chance did you? It happens all the time w/high-end branded products. My Costas are built like a tank and there's a remarkable difference in quality between them and my ever revolving pair of cheap disposable sunglasses. 
    They are replacements from costa. The glasses I was trying to replace the lenses in were no longer available. So they offered these I think for the replacement (lens) price of my old ones.  I don’t remember how that deal went down but they are factory direct
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited April 2021
    I’ve been wearing costas for probably 10 years. I don’t know if the Rincon is just a crappy design or what but I’m out. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited April 2021
    ColbyLang said:
    Replacement blades and wheels for the Honda self propelled mower. At 4 years old, it was time. Sharpened blades regularly, the originals will be kept as spares
    I retired my Honda commercial bagger last summer, 25 + years of reliable service.
    The old mower was passed on to my niece, it is still in service
    I replaced it with another Honda commercial bagger
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
    I’ve been wearing costas for probably 10 years. I don’t know if the Rincon is just a crappy design or what but I’m out. 
    What are you buying now?  Maybe the trick is to find the next up and comer until Luxottica buys them.

Not a felon
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Love my Kaenons (I can put my weird prism prescription in them)
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 599
    These are pretty solid. Independent company too.
    https://www.randolphusa.com/ 

Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    MJG said:
    These are pretty solid. Independent company too.
    https://www.randolphusa.com/ 

Brother in law (pilot) wears em. He got a pair for my wife, she loves em
  • alaskanassasin
    Legume said:
    What are you buying now?  Maybe the trick is to find the next up and comer until Luxottica buys them.

Leaning towards Maui Jim for my next sunglasses purchase. I need to delete my cookies now because google is pounding ray bans and costa down my throat based on this conversation.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    From above, Luxottica had bought out Baush & Lomb.  I haven't purchased a new pair in years, and they don't scratch because the lenses are glass (they DO scratch if you drop them on cement, or carborundum).  
    I've only scratched/replaced one pair, and replaced another pair that got stolen.  Over 40 years.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Have been a longtime user of both Ray-Bans - oldest pair being my grandfather’s, purchased in 1958 - and Oakleys. Many of my Oaks have been giving me trouble as of late, despite being absolutely babied throughout their short lives. The polycarbonate lenses are just peeling terribly. As a very good and long-standing customer, I emailed the company to inquire about the defect and their response was quite underwhelming. Don’t think I’ll buy another pair. 

Funnily enough, my grandfather’s Ray-Bans are still going strong. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    fishlessman said:  big hat and descent sunglasses is a must

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    fishlessman said:big hat and descent sunglasses is a must

• fishlessman
    PigBeanUs said:
    fishlessman said:big hat and descent sunglasses is a must

add that chair to my list of must haves
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    WeberWho said:
    I've wanted one of these for the past couple years. I don't really "need it" as my Dad has an older very nice Porter Cable router with all kinds of router bits I can use whenever but I keep dreaming about using one of these with a router sled and eventual router table. 

I was able to snag this one used for about 1/2 the price of new. I was told it was only used twice. I'd agree. Like new and came with a couple nice router bits that would have been an extra $70 otherwise. 

I have the same set. Great tool and you will use it for more than you think.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Not buying right now but will be buying tomorrow a new battery for my car. Haven’t been driving much since I’ve been working from home. When I went out to the car yesterday to drive it, it was dead.  A few flashing lights and clicks, but that was it.
    Getting this battery out was a b1tch. And why the hell put it in the trunk?  Oh yea 50/50 weight distribution. Whatever.  Not to mention, this is the biggest battery I have ever seen in a sedan.

A picture before it was taken out. (Truth told- not my picture).  And of course they give you about 1” of extra cable to a clip that costs $250 if you snap it because it is the wire that goes to the airbag.   

5 nuts, 3 wire ties and one sliced finger and it is out. Man it was a heavy bastard. 

The saying is that pulling out is easier than putting in.  Can’t wait to put in the replacement tomorrow. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Sea2Ski said:
    Not buying right now but will be buying tomorrow a new battery for my car. Haven’t been driving much since I’ve been working from home. When I went out to the car yesterday to drive it, it was dead.  A few flashing lights and clicks, but that was it.
    Getting this battery out was a b1tch. And why the hell put it in the trunk?  Oh yea 50/50 weight distribution. Whatever.  Not to mention, this is the biggest battery I have ever seen in a sedan.

A picture before it was taken out. (Truth told- not my picture).  And of course they give you about 1” of extra cable to a clip that costs $250 if you snap it because it is the wire that goes to the airbag.   

5 nuts, 3 wire ties and one sliced finger and it is out. Man it was a heavy bastard. 

The saying is that pulling out is easier than putting in.  Can’t wait to put in the replacement tomorrow. 
    My girlfriend just changed hers in her 318i.  The battery has to be registered to the ECU in order to charge correctly.  The kids at AutoZone didn't know that, apparently, and neither did she, so she had to buy another one and a new ECU.

Nice car, but as an Engineer, that seems like a bit of overkill.

I hope your replacement goes better than hers!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    Sea2Ski said:

in the rover its in the back of the hood and almost under the glass. i had to disconnect the hood linkage to open it more and remove the outer vent panel where the windshield washer comes thru behind the hood, cut a bracket off because rover has a special torque wrench that i wasnt about to buy. climb up on the engine while a helper was on a ladder off to the side to pull it up and out. be grateful the battery has two handles.  first battery ive seen with its own cooling fan which was also in the way.  bought one of those lithium starter packs, amazed it will crank that motor over
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    @Sea2Ski wow! 

I had to change MIL battery in her 96 oldsmobile Aurora once.  

Under the back seat and the battery was huge! 

Is there a spot to jump start if necessary?   
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    kl8ton said:
    @Sea2Ski wow! 

I had to change MIL battery in her 96 oldsmobile Aurora once.  

Under the back seat and the battery was huge! 

Is there a spot to jump start if necessary?   

On BMWs, there's a positive terminal you can connect to in the engine compartment, either on the intake manifold (yeah, I know, weird) or on one side or the other near the firewall.  You can look it up specifically for the model/year on the googlez.