Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I still have nightmares about the coil burners I grew up with in the '80s.

They're fine. Every type of stove (just as with grills) has its idiosyncrasies but once you get used to them they're all good.
    The only thing I really envy about a good gas stove is the type that has the flat  grate across the entire surface - must be nice to be able to slide pots/skillets everywhere.
    Fun fact - a coil burner stove will boil water faster than a gas burner. Not that I really tho care as I use an electric teakettle.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A luxury Kia Genesis 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Just pulled the trigger on a Bluestar Platinum 30" in the color/trim below and a GE Cafe  fridge. 7-8 weeks lead time. 

We just bought a cafe suite a few months back.  It’s pretty nice, the fridge motor is kind of loud in my opinion, my wife says she doesn’t notice it. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I accidentally set my hand on a cherry red coil burner.  Left a very identifiable burn pattern.  I do not have fond memories of them either.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    edited February 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColtsFan - what's your favorite Girl Scout cookie??  Or is that like asking your favorite child?  =)  BTW- mine is Trefoils...
    Do-si-dos hands down. But I've been known to kill a half a box of just about every variety :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Lit said:
    Got a Bella copper 10” diffuser for the stove. Never had bacon cook so evenly. 
    Where did you get it at and how much?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Polywood patio furniture.
    2 Adironack chairs, 2 Adirondak rockers and 2 side tables. Schitz expensive, but should last for years and easy to clean up with the pressure washer.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    QDude said:
    Lit said:
    Got a Bella copper 10” diffuser for the stove. Never had bacon cook so evenly. 
    Where did you get it at and how much?

Their site is a little outdated, but they've been advertising in food and lifestyle magazines for as long as I can remember. 

https://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    SonVolt said:

coil burners at camp to this day,crappiest stove.  the cast irons destroy it. not replacing it til the kitchen gets redone, almost want to just make my own cooktop, i might
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited February 2021
    Options
    If anyone is looking for a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones check out these for only $16.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Earphones/dp/B08KWJ9YND/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+headphones&qid=1614271137&sprefix=mpow&sr=8-12

I had an earlier version of them and I thought they were great for the price. I ended up losing the set and I didn't feel too bad with the price I paid for them. I just picked up this pair in the link above 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    If anyone is looking for a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones check out these for only $16.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Earphones/dp/B08KWJ9YND/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+headphones&qid=1614271137&sprefix=mpow&sr=8-12

I had an earlier version of them and I thought they were great for the price. I ended up losing the set and I didn't feel too bad with the price I paid for them. I just picked up this pair in the link above 
    These came in today. Pretty crazy what a $17 pair of Bluetooth headphones can get you nowadays. I've had in ear Bose headphones in the past and these crush them. (This was also years ago but still very much impressed that these cheap little Bluetooth headphones can do)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    For the Texans lucky enough to be in range of HEB, the annual release of Tableau wine is out. It’s an HEB private label of Caymus (and says so on the bottle). It’s $35 a bottle, the only catch is that it’s young. This years release is 2019 for instance. I buy a bottle, see if I like it. If so, but a case and wait a couple years. @The Cen-Tex Smoker 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

A different mangalite knock off? I assume cooks and feels the same, just like a McWare does? Had to look them up as I’d never heard of that brand
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah....Magnalite is no longer around.  SWMBO has a nostalgic attraction to the style.  We have a ton of it.
    Options
    Yeah....Magnalite is no longer around.  SWMBO has a nostalgic attraction to the style.  We have a ton of it.
    I have a bunch of old school magnalite as well as a few larger McWare. This brand is a little cheaper than McWare. Might have to try it out, looking for the 15” oval roaster
  • SonVolt
    Options
    IMUSA is a pretty big brand AKAIK - I see it everywhere. I think we have one of their tortilla presses. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I picked up a Sam's Club membership once again as I'm "technically" a new member as our old membership expired at the begining of the pandemic and haven't been in since 

They have a really good deal for new members right now. Buy a membership for $45 and receive a $45 Sam's Club gift card. 

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I picked up a Sam's Club membership once again as I'm "technically" a new member as our old membership expired at the begining of the pandemic and haven't been in since 

They have a really good deal for new members right now. Buy a membership for $45 and receive a $45 Sam's Club gift card. 
    The game we play is we each have a member ship in Costco/Sams.  We give each other cards.  When it expires, we switch and are "new" members by the definition of not having a membership for a year.  Free stuff pays the membership fees.  Etc.

Options

Options
    I'm in that club at Harbor Freight (they gave me a free membership because I'm a regular customer).  Friday - Monday was a 4 day 20% off for members with no exclusions.  Normally half the stuff in the store is excluded from the usual 20 off coupon.  So I decided to buy one nice tool a day and save some money. 

And got those bluetooth ear pods that someone here posted a link to for around 20 bucks.  Why not?
    Options

Now you need to rig your new dust/chips extractor so that you can direct the ouptut hose either to the dust collector or to a dryer vent like thing in your wall so you can vent out all the smoke/vapors very easily. You're right that filtration of vapors and very fine particles can be tough (which was why I earlier said ventilation not filtration) but point source collection and sharing with your neighbros can be easy.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Now you need to rig your new dust/chips extractor so that you can direct the ouptut hose either to the dust collector or to a dryer vent like thing in your wall so you can vent out all the smoke/vapors very easily. You're right that filtration of vapors and very fine particles can be tough (which was why I earlier said ventilation not filtration) but point source collection and sharing with your neighbros can be easy.

This unit is for the big shop where I have the basic woodworking tools - table saw, planer, miter saw.  I rough cut wood I store there for fine woodworking and finish it in the backyard manbearcave, which is where I got the smoke.  I have a dust collection system there that's nicer with a pleated filter...might get some of that smoke out.  but venting that outside as an option sounds like a good idea if I decide to do much more with the heart pine.

Options
    HeavyG said:

This unit is for the big shop where I have the basic woodworking tools - table saw, planer, miter saw.  I rough cut wood I store there for fine woodworking and finish it in the backyard manbearcave, which is where I got the smoke.  I have a dust collection system there that's nicer with a pleated filter...might get some of that smoke out.  but venting that outside as an option sounds like a good idea if I decide to do much more with the heart pine.

If the pleated filter is the equivalent of a MERV 13 furnace filter it would capture much of the smoke/particulates. Every little bit of protection helps (my ears and lungs wish I had paid more attention to PPE over the decades).

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    edited March 2021
    Options
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on Vent-A-Hood brand exhaust systems? 

https://ventahood.com/index.php/products/premier-magic-lung/ml-undercabinet?id=360&model=PRH9
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    A new wood front door. Debating between Mahogany or Walnut, thoughts???

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 - whatever SWMBO wants is the answer.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Get whatever is better than your neighbors.