Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Stump is going to have an aneurysm.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    Merry go round bearings. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    edited October 2023
    kl8ton said:
    Merry go round bearings. 

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Weeks after getting our windows changed, we finally also got the new front door in. A few loose ends to tie up, but work is 95% complete and it feels good to have it behind us. With some of the windows having been almost 70 years old, it’s been quite the facelift. 

70 years old!  The windows must have been thicker at the bottom from slowly settling.  That is almost like Roman times.

Love the door, btw, looks really nice!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    edited October 2023
    Weeks after getting our windows changed, we finally also got the new front door in. A few loose ends to tie up, but work is 95% complete and it feels good to have it behind us. With some of the windows having been almost 70 years old, it’s been quite the facelift. 
    I replaced my windows about twenty years ago, roughly 45 year old single-pane/aluminum frame.  New ones were vinyl-framed, double-paned, gas-filled with unicorn farts, and UV blockers in the glass (supposedly).  Inside temps were much more even thru the winter, but what really amazed me was how much street noise (barking, small-caliber fire, passing motorcycles) was attenuated, wish I'd bought them after moving in!  
    Have you noticed a reduction in street volume?  Also, your door appears to have an integral passcode lock; does it also include a mechanically-keyed bypass (I've no experience with those)?   

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Botch said:
    I replaced my windows about twenty years ago, roughly 45 year old single-pane/aluminum frame.  New ones were vinyl-framed, double-paned, gas-filled with unicorn farts, and UV blockers in the glass (supposedly).  Inside temps were much more even thru the winter, but what really amazed me was how much street noise (barking, small-caliber fire, passing motorcycles) was attenuated, wish I'd bought them after moving in!  
    Have you noticed a reduction in street volume?  Also, your door appears to have an integral passcode lock; does it also include a mechanically-keyed bypass (I've no experience with those)?   
    Looks like a key hole.

Otherwise, that's what the window is for.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322

@GrateEggspectations - In addition to all benefits @Botch mentioned, you might be seeing a reduction in energy used for heating.  Looks really nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @GrateEggspectations - Congratulations on the new windows and doors. don't forget the passcode setup .....8675309!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Thanks for all of the positive feedback. 

@Ozzie_Isaac

Thanks! I should find a picture of the oldest of windows to give you an idea. Many had been updated in probably the 80s or early 90s, and some of the biggest were done around 2000, but they all could have benefitted from change, so we did the whole lot. But the oldest (and most prominent from the front, was the 70 year old!).

@Botch

We weren’t presented with the unicorn fart treatment, so I may need to chide the sales rep for omitting. Our area is generally pretty quiet, so I can’t say I’ve noticed a big difference in street noise. That being said, I anticipate that if I listened actively I’d notice a difference. 

@Langner91

Correct, digital passcode and old school mechanical key as well. We wanted a way for the kids to get in absent keys in the event of emergency. 

@dbCooper

I think you’re right. At the time of contract signing, there was a federal grant for energy efficiency of about $350 a window or door, which was helpful on the smallest of windows but was a pittance on the bigger ones as well as on the front door. Had to first have a third party do an assessment, then get the windows in. Next comes the post-work assessment. A bit of a tedious process but saves a few bucks. We also need some insulation work in the attic, but figure we may hold off until doing the roof, for convenience and less disruption. 
  • Air tag dog collar.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Air tag dog collar.
    Bougie dog.  Does it connect to his Iphone?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    Langner91 said:
    Botch said:
    Looks like a key hole.

Otherwise, that's what the window is for.
    A hobby of mine is lock picking.  I hate to say it, but 99% of locks are just to keep the honest man out.

You would be shocked how easy access is to gain to homes.  Door kickers just have no imagination.

Also, on vinyl sided standard homes a sawzall will zip through the siding, plywood sheathing, and dry wall lickety split.

• SamIAm2 said:
    @GrateEggspectations - Congratulations on the new windows and doors. don't forget the passcode setup .....8675309!
    Thanks for that. Done! 🙃 Had to look up the reference. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    A hobby of mine is lock picking.  I hate to say it, but 99% of locks are just to keep the honest man out.

You would be shocked how easy access is to gain to homes.  Door kickers just have no imagination.
    I accidentally locked myself out of my house a couple years ago.  When the locksmith finally showed up, I was stunned at how quickly he was able to let me back in.  Yikes!
    I did see some "Lockpicking Training Kits" on amazoid when COVID hit, but I was more interested in how to "properly" stir-fry on my new BlueStar stovetop.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Gulfcoastguy
    What is interesting is there are only a few different garage door remote codes. One band of thieves would cruise neighborhoods in a white panel van trying a selection of remotes. If it worked they would park inside and close the door. Usually there is only sheet rock between the garage and the actual house, a sledgehammer was enough to enter. Then they would clean out the house or at least a panel van load. Open the garage door, drive off, shutting the door as they left. 
  • @Gulfcoastguy

Keep your garage full enough with bikes and kids’ toys, and they can’t drive in! 😉

A few years back, I remember reading that thieves would sometimes break into cars just to access remote garage door openers, which they would then use to access the house before burglarizing it. At that time, I took my openers out of both cars. Fast forward to about a month ago. Our car was being serviced at the local dealer and was kept on their lot overnight. During that time, a thief was able to gain entry and rummage through our car. No signs of damage to the vehicle and I suspect dealer staff may simply have left the car unlocked while on the lot - the dealer had said they’d report back after looking into it and reviewing videos surveillance, but I never heard back from them. Nothing of any value was taken, as we deliberately kept the car free of such items. Thieves got maybe $30 in change. Had the remote garage door opener been in there, we very likely wouldn’t have realized it before our home had already been burglarized, given that our registration was also in the vehicle and has our address on it. While it’s a bit of a hassle to exit the vehicle and use the garage door keypad when coming or going, I’m glad I no longer keep the openers in the car.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:

I accidentally locked myself out of my house a couple years ago.  When the locksmith finally showed up, I was stunned at how quickly he was able to let me back in.  Yikes!
    I did see some "Lockpicking Training Kits" on amazoid when COVID hit, but I was more interested in how to "properly" stir-fry on my new BlueStar stovetop.  
    The "Lock Picking Lawyer" vids on YouTube are always enlightening/entertaining/aggravating in case you've not seen any.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

•  Growing up the cab drivers carried slim jims and could pop your car door for you if you were locked out.

I just bought two bags of Rockwood, 28.99 a bag at ace! I used a $10 off coupon but dang.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    @Gulfcoastguy

Keep your garage full enough with bikes and kids’ toys, and they can’t drive in! 😉

A few years back, I remember reading that thieves would sometimes break into cars just to access remote garage door openers, which they would then use to access the house before burglarizing it. At that time, I took my openers out of both cars. Fast forward to about a month ago. Our car was being serviced at the local dealer and was kept on their lot overnight. During that time, a thief was able to gain entry and rummage through our car. No signs of damage to the vehicle and I suspect dealer staff may simply have left the car unlocked while on the lot - the dealer had said they’d report back after looking into it and reviewing videos surveillance, but I never heard back from them. Nothing of any value was taken, as we deliberately kept the car free of such items. Thieves got maybe $30 in change. Had the remote garage door opener been in there, we very likely wouldn’t have realized it before our home had already been burglarized, given that our registration was also in the vehicle and has our address on it. While it’s a bit of a hassle to exit the vehicle and use the garage door keypad when coming or going, I’m glad I no longer keep the openers in the car.
    There's more nights where our cars sit out in the driveway than they do in the garage. We upgraded our garage door opener last year and paid a little extra for the wifi version. It has come in super handy. No more garage door remotes in our vehicles. (We can now open the garage door from our phone.) I've also used it for letting my Dad into our place when away remotely. It's pretty slick. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    mines safe, a thief would actually have to get out of his car and lift my garage door =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:

I highly recommend the hobby.  As @HeavyG recommended Lock Picking Lawyer is great.  Also do not buy the junk off Amazon, it will just frustrate you more.  Recommend Covert Instruments or Sparrow Lock Picks.

Deviant Ollam is also an interesting author and YouTube creator for all things related to covert entry.

• mines safe, a thief would actually have to get out of his car and lift my garage door =)
    Sounds like my speed. I love simple and low-tech. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I need an accountability partner.  Apparently I ordered a dehydrator and a little hydroponic setup from Amazon during PrimeDay sale.

• Just put a deposit on a fat stack smoker, he said it will be ready in no time! Can’t wait!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• What a shame for the people who put their trust in him. I hope something gets worked out so that he can deliver the orders he’s already promised. 
    Snellville, GA

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    Green tag items were 50% off.  Pretty sure some amount of this will be part of my estate...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Two hour wait for a tow truck. Everyone is busy hauling off 75 illegally parked cars.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    Two hour wait for a tow truck. Everyone is busy hauling off 75 illegally parked cars.

Ouch. No spare tire?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota