Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @GrateEggspectations I hope it performs well. Talk about pressure, now my reputation is on the line  =)
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,323
    Needed a few items from Ace Hardware, added in a couple bags of Rockwood as it was $6. off.  Not sure if this is a local or all locations sale.  Might want to check your area store(s).
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    Question:  does your local supermarket offer packages of drums, thighs, and wings?  I had/have a new recipe to try on wings (thread to follow) but my market had two dozen packages of thighs in the frig section, and maybe four dozen packages of drums, but no wings at all.  I'm not a (chicken) leg guy at all, so I picked up a pkg of thighs and am pressing on with the recipe.  
    But I couldn't figure out why there were NO wings!?!  Is that the case in your area?    

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Canugghead
    Spotted this at GWN Costco, $500 cheaper than rack price at other retailers. 

@GrateEggspectations I think this complements your beautiful back deck better than the el cheapo Geek Chef? Don't worry, i can help you dispose of the GC. Seriously though, don't buy unless you want to ruin my credibility with your better half ;)

canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395
    I have the original blacksone pizza oven and I love it!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,489
    edited August 2023
    @botch -packages of wings and the rest of the bird available around here. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Botch said:
    Question:  does your local supermarket offer packages of drums, thighs, and wings?  I had/have a new recipe to try on wings (thread to follow) but my market had two dozen packages of thighs in the frig section, and maybe four dozen packages of drums, but no wings at all.  I'm not a (chicken) leg guy at all, so I picked up a pkg of thighs and am pressing on with the recipe.  
    But I couldn't figure out why there were NO wings!?!  Is that the case in your area?    

wings get hard to find around holidays and football season here. football is just beginning and i should be shopping for wings now before this coming weekend. this looks like the first weekend this summer that they are predicting the sun here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 290
    @Botch
    - Wings are few and far between here. Fryer leg quarters and drumsticks are in abundance.
    - With the above said the Commissaries at Oceana, LCRK and Langley seem to have wings when I get roped in to going there. 

• Botch
    6baluts said:
    @Botch
    - Wings are few and far between here. Fryer leg quarters and drumsticks are in abundance.
    - With the above said the Commissaries at Oceana, LCRK and Langley seem to have wings when I get roped in to going there. 

Yes, I forgot to mention our Commissary always has wings, but usually in packages of 12 or 24; not ideal for me.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,022
    Can't you buy more and just vacuseal into whatever count works for you?
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    Botch said:
    6baluts said:
    @Botch

Yes, I forgot to mention our Commissary always has wings, but usually in packages of 12 or 24; not ideal for me.  
    I too prefer packs of 72-144, but I found through trial and error if you buy 12 packs of 12 you get 144 and then via simulation 6 packs of 24 will get you 144 also.  I need to confirm that with empirical data.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Botch
    Legume said:
    Can't you buy more and just vacuseal into whatever count works for you?
    I could, and if I end up buying a small chest freezer like I'd threatened elsewhere, this would then work.  The tiny freezer I have now is already full.  

• lousubcap
    Freezers, closets, suitcases- regardless of size they are always full...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,600

New outdoor Wi-Fi
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    @kl8ton - is the coming weekend your last really big event for the season?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    kl8ton said:

New outdoor Wi-Fi
    Hopefully a new camper trailer driver doesn't take it out, because that is sweet!!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• kl8ton
    lousubcap said:
    @kl8ton - is the coming weekend your last really big event for the season?
    No.  We run weekend activities through the end of October.  Pool stays heated and open until mid-October.  But, the pace has certainly slowed now that school is back in session.  The weekdays are much quieter.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:

New outdoor Wi-Fi
    Hopefully a new camper trailer driver doesn't take it out, because that is sweet!!
    I hope so too. Thanks!  Waiting on electrical and tree trimming.  The towers communicate on a 60Ghz channel and need line of site. Some trees are getting a big trim.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    GlennM said:
    I have the original blacksone pizza oven and I love it!

Evidence suggests you are a woodworker
    Saw a ewetube review of the new BS oven. The guy complained it gets way too hot after the first pie, even at the lowest setting. There's probably a secret lowest setting where/when the dial is almost at the off mark that he's not aware off.
    canuckland
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    kl8ton said:

With my luck, lightning would take that rascal out after I trimmed the trees.

Growing up in the late '70's, early '80's, my Dad had a 40' tower, Channel Master antenna and a "Moonraker" CB Antenna on top of that.  He pulled TV stations from a state away and could talk on the CB for miles.  Lightning hit it four times before the insurance guy told him to get cable or he was canceling the policy.  I still remember him pushing a flaming Zenith console out the slider one evening.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    @Canugghead, I have the new black stone oven and don’t think that’s the case at all. I prefer deep dish. With the ooni it was always too hot for that. With the blackstone it is super easy to dial down the temperature. And the rotating stone is a nice feature. With the ooni I was constantly turning. Also allows for bigger pies. 
  • Canugghead
    @Moleman
    When I googled "blackstone pizza oven" in Chrome (not in ewetube), this is the first video. Looks tempting but I already have the PP Ardore, waiting for an electric one when the price comes down down the road. Cooking pizza in GWN winter is no fun ;(

https://youtu.be/ry9QxPqiDLY?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I’m I’m not here to sell it, trust me. And anything adore seems to be fantastic. 
  • Canugghead
    @Moleman
    Please don't misunderstanding, I totally believe you. I should have made it clearer that I saw just the first video that crossed my path, could be an  isolated case or user error.
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    Langner91 said:
    kl8ton said:

With my luck, lightning would take that rascal out after I trimmed the trees.

Growing up in the late '70's, early '80's, my Dad had a 40' tower, Channel Master antenna and a "Moonraker" CB Antenna on top of that.  He pulled TV stations from a state away and could talk on the CB for miles.  Lightning hit it four times before the insurance guy told him to get cable or he was canceling the policy.  I still remember him pushing a flaming Zenith console out the slider one evening.  
    These four towers are replacing 8 mesh units that sit on telescoping flagpoles made of fiberglass.  I have lost two or three units to lightning in 5 years.  Not terrible.  But very similar to your story, my insurance guy told me to stop claiming them.  I did get dropped from one carrier, not that the Wi-Fi units were the straw that broke the camel's back, but it was a contributing factor.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

New outdoor Wi-Fi
    I hope so too. Thanks!  Waiting on electrical and tree trimming.  The towers communicate on a 60Ghz channel and need line of site. Some trees are getting a big trim.  
    I'd be inclined to install a few bollards around that tower.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

New outdoor Wi-Fi
    I'd be inclined to install a few bollards around that tower.
    Guys from the forum, or just bollards in general?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Spotted this at GWN Costco, $500 cheaper than rack price at other retailers. 

@GrateEggspectations I think this complements your beautiful back deck better than the el cheapo Geek Chef? Don't worry, i can help you dispose of the GC. Seriously though, don't buy unless you want to ruin my credibility with your better half ;)

That looks like a neat unit, but I’m fully committed to Geeking out. While it’s not as sturdy nor as impressive as this Blackstone, I like the portability and price of the Geek Chef. If we have a pizza night planned and it’s pouring rain or snowing heavily, I can relocate the GC to the front, covered porch, where I also keep my second MM, for the same reason.