Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 397
    GWN Maple Leaf charcoal deal. Calling @Mr1egg @poster @GrateEggspectations @paqman @Mark_B_Good @CTMike
    Join their mailing list and get $10 off first order of $75+, free shipping to boot. Sale ends tomorrow.
    They are $28.99 at crappy tire.
    https://www.bmr.ca/en/feuille-d-erable-hardwood-lump-charcoal-8-kg-605-0946.html?queryID=93e5c1375d35602b2b025fa828e5b04c

That's a really good deal, thanks for tagging me. I'll have to pick up a few bags. I still have some of the bags left from my Costco 10 buy purchase, but u can never have to many bags of coal.
  • @Canugghead

Thanks for the heads up. I carbon copied your order! Was not in a real lump deficit or anything, but a deal is a deal. 😁
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    @Mark_B_Good the betta should handle rain no problem.  They even say it is waterproof and don't need to move it even when water features like water falls or fountains are running.
    I just got it tonight, it's in the pool right now, gobbling up all the leaves! Got the 3 year warranty ... just in case.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Congrats on the house. Just sold ours for the divorce and it didn't take long before I found myself with the one couch that most smelled like my wife's ass and two towels that the couch could have gotten the smell from in the first place. You know, you trust somebody to take the couch that most closely smells like their own ass after thirty years, but nope. 

Tomorrow I'm going to washer ass towels, if they come out ok, I'm calling that a win. The couch is a total loss, 

• Mark_B_Good
    GWN Maple Leaf charcoal deal. Calling @Mr1egg @poster @GrateEggspectations @paqman @Mark_B_Good @CTMike
    Join their mailing list and get $10 off first order of $75+, free shipping to boot. Sale ends tomorrow.
    They are $28.99 at crappy tire.
    https://www.bmr.ca/en/feuille-d-erable-hardwood-lump-charcoal-8-kg-605-0946.html?queryID=93e5c1375d35602b2b025fa828e5b04c

Thanks for this!  I'm trying to put the order in, I subscribed to the newsletter, but I'm not seeing the $10 discount ... is there a discount code that comes by email?
  • Mark_B_Good
    Never mind, I just got the email, lol.

So 5 bags of lump ... don't know where I'm going to put it ... but I'll figure it out! That's a good price!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @keener75 @GlennM @ValleyGirl @gabriegger sorry missed you folks in ^^^ charcoal alert  :)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,130
    So, I had been eyeing a new blade for quite some time (maybe a year and a half) and finally pulled the trigger this afternoon. I figured I’d saved enough on lump following @canugghead’s flag to offset this purchase (nod).

Fujiwara Denka No Hoto Gyuto with Western (Yo) handle in 210mm size. 

For anyone who hasn’t treated themselves to some nice steel, for me, Japanese knives have easily been my most enjoyed kitchen purchases. 

Beautiful knife!!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,492
    Being old, the last knife rabbit hole for me was the pocket knife Benchmade buy.  No more...So far so good. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Knifewear is a good company. Our Canadian friends are lucky to have such a nice chain of shops. I've bought a few things from them via the internet. Would like to visit one of their brick & mortar stores one day.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac. The fit and finish on these knives is actually notoriously bad, but to be expected for something hand made from start to finish, including the SS cladding, which is done in-house. The quality and Rockwell hardness speak for themselves though. 

@HeavyG - We’re lucky to have them close by (5mins away) and have bought a lot of their stuff over the years. The other advantage of having them here is a lot of used knives purchased there end up in the classifieds. Have bought pieces from well-known, local chefs. 

@lousubcap - You’ve only just dipped your toe in. But I guess the danger is being sucked in wholesale! We’ve turned a lot of neighbours on to Japanese knives - even those who don’t cook (which is slightly sad!). 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,071
    What are you making with those badboys @Botch
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,008
    Shavings, and not enough projects.   ;)  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    Shavings, and not enough projects.   ;)  
    Prepping for one of those longest/thinnest shaving competitions? They're pretty wild!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    That's a nice tool. I had a couple LN planes, and a few Veritas ones as well. Recently sold my entire shop for cheap money. I had a full workshp in basement, planer, jointer,lathe, mortising machine, horizontal drum sander, oscillating spindle sander, band saw, 52" table saw. Industrial radial arm saw .... You name it, I had it. It has been years since I've been able to make anything with my body the way it is though, so I finally just wholesaled the entire shop out. Hurt seeing that go. The clamps alone filled up the guys truck bed. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,129
    Botch said:
    Right about the time the pandemic hit I'd placed an order for a Lie-Nielsen #4 smoothing plane with a brass body.  They were sold out, got an email sent when they were back in stock, sold out again, and last year get an email saying they couldn't source suitable brass bodies, and they were discontinued "for now".  
    A month or so ago I get an email from Lee Valley/Veritas, "scratch-n-dent" sale, and I ordered a #4 with a ductile iron body, which were sold out a couple hours later.  
    Just got it, and Score!  With one exception, every "scratch-n-dent" item I've purchased has been nearly perfect, including this plane.  As far as I can tell, this little dent (not visible in use) is the "dent":

Saved over a hundred bucks, and this thing is heavier than similar LN's I own (the higher weight was the reason I wanted a brass body).  First bench plane I've owned with a threaded lever cap knob, will see if I like that better than the lever cap on my other planes.  Body is dead-flat, won't have to flatten it like I did my Stanleys and Records (my LN's were also machined dead-flat).  Beautiful tool.  
    Xmas in July, and I didn't have to order anything from amazoid!  
    They make some beautiful tools, congrats!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743

New kennel, dog bed, dog toys, etc...puppy pick up next week.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Don’t forget the first vet appointment. My breeder wanted the puppy checked within 24 hours of arrival.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Don’t forget the first vet appointment. My breeder wanted the puppy checked within 24 hours of arrival.

my pup was 7 weeks old when they flew him into boston, still had a hole were the umbilical chord was that hadnt closed yet. freaked me out a bit but the vet said it was common. 24 hours is good, make the appointment ahead of time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Going to buy a new dog bed. Pup chewed a hole in the side and I ended up with a sack full of loose stuffing in the washing machine this morning. Now if I can only find one sewn out of Kevlar.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,071

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    edited July 2023
    So, I had been eyeing a new blade for quite some time (maybe a year and a half) and finally pulled the trigger this afternoon. I figured I’d saved enough on lump following @canugghead’s flag to offset this purchase (nod).

Fujiwara Denka No Hoto Gyuto with Western (Yo) handle in 210mm size. 

For anyone who hasn’t treated themselves to some nice steel, for me, Japanese knives have easily been my most enjoyed kitchen purchases. 

Beautiful. Totally knife ignorant here, bought a pair of Global from Costco on impulse recently, looked/felt scarily sharp, returned it  :)

Btw that charcoal sale has been extended by a week, you need to buy another 100 bags to save for the knife?

Edit: only decent knife is an 8" Shun, used occasionally.
    canuckland
  • @Canugghead

Knifewear just opened a new location in Toronto. 517 Bloor Street West. No excuse not to go!!
  • Canugghead
    @GrateEggspectations stop adding another tunnel to my rabbit maze!
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,008

I've wrestled with my single-string Craftsman for the last two mornings, gave up on that 27-yr-old beotch and got a new E-Go.  Smells nice!  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,130
    A new game controller.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,326
    Extras came home from Costco, will be my first time for both of these...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA