Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blind99 said:
    apparently i'm buying a new furnace.  grumble.....
    What's wrong with it?  How old?  It may or may not be economically sound to repair, but I always want the details. 

Options
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 
    I’m about to do the same. Sucks doesn’t it?

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and assuming he's not exaggerating, he claims his property tax is as much as his mortgage each month. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 

Is that due to county taxes being different from his to yours? Been thinking about relocating to TX and wouldnt mind knowing which areas to cross off the search
    All of Texas is this way if you want to live in big cities. Moving to just outside the main suburbs is your best bet. In Dallas this would be areas such as Rockwall County where I live as well as Wylie, Northern McKinney, Rowlett, Greenville. In Austin that would be Leander, Georgetown, in Houston it would be far western Katy, Conroe.

the country is where the new people are going to move to, they dont want to be in the cities and suburbs.  then they will want more law enforcement, new firehouses for the new bigger trucks, new schools,  new hospitals etc.  thats going to cost some money. lets raise the taxes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    SonVolt said:
    Oh we're 600 miles away from each other. My property taxes are ~$800 in a rural area. He's claiming his are $13k, but he lives somewhere in the DFW area. I have no idea what he's actually paying - he could be full of bs. 
    I can drive 8 miles into town, buy a 2k sq ft house and pay 7-10k in property tax. I pay a quarter of that 
    If they don't get it out of your left pocket they will take it out of your right pocket but the Tax Man will not be denied. Still it might be better to compare the total State and local tax burden between the two states.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    blind99 said:
    We need a "sympathies offered" button. At least the new furnace will probably be more efficient. Have you checked for rebates and tax incentives?
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Chicken thighs, $.82 a pound.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:
      Today, I bought an Einstein's toasted 6-cheese bagel, with veggie schmear, for $4.20.  

.....but you ate good brother.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Local bourbon here in Atlanta. Buddy had good things to say about it so gave it shot. Will know shortly.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and assuming he's not exaggerating, he claims his property tax is as much as his mortgage each month. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 

Is that due to county taxes being different from his to yours? Been thinking about relocating to TX and wouldnt mind knowing which areas to cross off the search
    All of Texas is this way if you want to live in big cities. Moving to just outside the main suburbs is your best bet. In Dallas this would be areas such as Rockwall County where I live as well as Wylie, Northern McKinney, Rowlett, Greenville. In Austin that would be Leander, Georgetown, in Houston it would be far western Katy, Conroe.

Thinking Hill Country area, New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, Fredericksburg
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

You should be better off there. You are just far enough away from Austin and San Antonio.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

You should be better off there. You are just far enough away from Austin and San Antonio.
    That is a great part of Texas!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    QDude said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

That is a great part of Texas!
    close to good BBQ and seems like nice area, not to far from Austin or San Antonio
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    When we retire which is a long time from now our plan is to move to that area of the state. North Texas topographically and metaphorically speaking is the forehead of Texas, nothing but flat and plain with the occasional zit.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I spent high school in that area.  I love the hill country.  
    edited December 2020
    Options
    When we retire which is a long time from now our plan is to move to that area of the state. North Texas topographically and metaphorically speaking is the forehead of Texas, nothing but flat and plain with the occasional zit.

Yeah, I travelled there a lot last year for work and I had a great time and had some great food, but... by the end of the week I really missed the trees and rolling hills. It felt like I was stuck in a maze of office buildings, industrial parks and strip malls.  Of course I never got outside the DFW area. The diverse options for food though were insane.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blind99 said:
    What's wrong with it?  How old?  It may or may not be economically sound to repair, but I always want the details. 

@nolaegghead well this is a long story with many details an hvac buff would like. House is 15 years old, and the HVAC guy was some kind of mad scientist. Single furnace. He ran two ac units, feeding two coils, into it. Ductwork has 3 zones, one for each floor, controlled by servos. Waaaaay too complicated but man the house is comfortable. 

However, the fans /output of the furnace is too much if only one zone calls for heat. No pressure relief was added. So the furnace is dying at 15 years old. Trane technician said this furnace is young and if done properly it would easily still be going many more years. 

AC died last summer. We were able to simplify to one compressor and coil and it works great. Bosch inverter works awesome. 

Now the furnace is making nasty sounds. The inducer blower is dying. Secondary heat exchanger has a small crack. And one portion of the zone control electronics is dead. 

They recommended getting rid of the fancy zoning and simplifying. I’ve been spoiled with control of each floor. Looking forward to the repair/replace quote!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 3 for work. Check email. Back in stock notice from Snake River Farms on the 13-15# black grade briskets. Delivers to me on Sunday....

My first purchase/attempt at wagyu......
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I may pull the trigger on a Joetisserie today for my XL.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Alarm goes off at 3 for work. Check email. Back in stock notice from Snake River Farms on the 13-15# black grade briskets. Delivers to me on Sunday....

My first purchase/attempt at wagyu......
    Those were out of stock when I ordered my first SRF brisket a couple days ago.  It pushed me to buy Gold. My first Wagyu experience too. Is yours arriving before Christmas?  Is it for Christmas? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Great birthday!  My 52nd is that day.  Happy Birthday!  Enjoy that brisket.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Local roasted coffee.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Not done yet but haggling on a new 4runner
    Keep playing hard to get!  Is there a competing dealer in the next town?  Maybe you name drop that dealer to current sales guy.  Mention you are going there Monday to check out a couple that are the color you want, or the sales guy there is a friend of a friend of a friend that can get you better pricing. . . sometimes it works! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Not done yet but haggling on a new 4runner
    Keep playing hard to get!  Is there a competing dealer in the next town?  Maybe you name drop that dealer to current sales guy.  Mention you are going there Monday to check out a couple that are the color you want, or the sales guy there is a friend of a friend of a friend that can get you better pricing. . . sometimes it works! 
    Oh it’s like Gladiator between these 2 dealers and I’m Marcus Aurelius. Quite the show.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The age of the internet has really dialed back the negotiation- pretty easy to go in armed with what the dealership has to pay for the vehicle. 

Depending on the popularity of the vehicle, you can expect to pay some small percentage over that. 

Dealerships don’t seem to make much on the actual vehicle sale- likely why they push financing, service, wheel insurance, etc. 

4 Runners are fairly popular so they may hold closer to their guns. 

Good luck and enjoy the new ride- maybe they can kick in a discount at the local bass boat shop😈

Greensboro, NC
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    finally found some dizzy pig ghost
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    We did a big grocery store run today - Memphis is about to get shut down again.  Love Charles Chips and there they were. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    We did a big grocery store run today - Memphis is about to get shut down again.  Love Charles Chips and there they were. 

Many decades (late 70's) ago my office would have a Charles Chips guy stop by every few weeks. Haven't seen one of those cans in years.
    Does Charles Chips still do the "door-to-door" sales anywhere?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2020
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Many decades (late 70's) ago my office would have a Charles Chips guy stop by every few weeks. Haven't seen one of those cans in years.
    Does Charles Chips still do the "door-to-door" sales anywhere?
    I don’t know. When I was a child in the early 70’s they would deliver to our house in Charlotte, NC. My saint of a mother would let me climb in the back of the truck and pick something out (they had more than plain chips).  I always picked out the pretzels, which were my dad’s favorites also. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet