Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Picked up a bag of Rockwood!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Property taxes 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 
    I’m about to do the same. Sucks doesn’t it?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Options
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and assuming he's not exaggerating, he claims his property tax is as much as his mortgage each month. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 
    I have until January 30th so a day or two before that I’ll drop the check off in person. Five more years and the rate gets cut in half( 65 years old).
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and his property tax was as much as his mortgage. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 
    Yup, we don’t state income tax (yet) but it feels like we do with the insane property taxes

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and assuming he's not exaggerating, he claims his property tax is as much as his mortgage each month. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 
    Says online their millage rate is 7.7 which is crazy. Here locally in Georgia its 2.7.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

I know it does in Dallas. A coworker just moved there and his property tax was as much as his mortgage. Our homes cost relatively the same yet my property tax was 6% of his. 
    Yup, we don’t state income tax (yet) but it feels like we do with the insane property taxes

hate to tell you, all those californians moving into texas is going to double those taxes. i fled from nh when mass moved in, the taxes went way up, same house cross the line in nh a mile away is 7 to 8k in taxes, mines 2k
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

hate to tell you, all those californians moving into texas is going to double those taxes. i fled from nh when mass moved in, the taxes went way up, same house cross the line in nh a mile away is 7 to 8k in taxes, mines 2k
    There is a town north of dallas here called Frisco. It’s where the Dallas Cowboys are headquartered. 15 years ago that town had a population of about 25,000 now its 300,000. Homes are so overpriced there now because of all the folks from California moving there due to Toyota and several other companies. They would move here and get in a bidding war for a 2,000 sqft house that was listed for $150,000 and it would sell for $375,000 and now that same new build house is $400,000. Good for people looking to sell that have been in their house a long time but not for people looking to buy. But I guess that’s the free market for ya. 

It’s why we moved last year because where i live we will be the new Frisco very soon. We wanted to get a larger lot while they were still available for a reasonable price. 

• Gr_egger
    Options
    Buy 5 get 1 free, OK! Jealous Devil for pizzas. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

Objectively, that makes no sense. Is he in a more desirable neighbourhood?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

Numbers, if correct, make sense.  Not uncommon to have a low mortgage payment because you put most of the money down or bought long ago and have high property taxes. 

Mortgage on my shop is zero, property taxes around 2.3k/yr. 

SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

Numbers, if correct, make sense.  Not uncommon to have a low mortgage payment because you put most of the money down or bought long ago and have high property taxes. 

Mortgage on my shop is zero, property taxes around 2.3k/yr. 

Not talking about property taxes relative to mortgage, but his taxes relative to his coworker’s, which is presumably a function of location. 

@SonVolt: I have understood your coworker is in Dallas. If so, where? Where are you located?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Country vs city and purchase price vs assessor appraised price are major factors.
    Country vs city and purchase price vs assessor appraised price are major factors.
    Which is why I’m asking about his location relative to his coworker’s. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I get it. 6% of the other guy's is order of magnitude different.

I get it. 6% of the other guy's is order of magnitude different.

Which is exactly why I’m so curious. I’ve got lots of neighbours paying double or triple my property taxes in my area, but their houses are worth double or triple mine. Wondering how you get to 6%. 
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Oh we're 600 miles away from each other. My property taxes are ~$800 in a rural area. He's claiming his are $13k, but he lives somewhere in the DFW area. I have no idea what he's actually paying - he could be full of bs. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh we're 600 miles away from each other. My property taxes are ~$800 in a rural area. He's claiming his are $13k, but he lives somewhere in the DFW area. I have no idea what he's actually paying - he could be full of bs. 
    $13k property tax would not be unusual for Dallas.  I have many clients in Memphis that pay that much.  I have one client in California that pays around $70K per year. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    $$ Gotta come from somewhere unless you are the Fed and own the printing press.  Income tax, property tax, sales tax and about anything else the state can and will tax.  In the long haul, pick your poison!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I can drive 8 miles into town, buy a 2k sq ft house and pay 7-10k in property tax. I pay a quarter of that 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Shrinking down two magnitudes, and going back to yesterday, I bought a new computer keyboard for $130 and a new tire for $260.  Today, I bought an Einstein's toasted 6-cheese bagel, with veggie schmear, for $4.20.  

I also received the proposed tax rate for my mom's farm property in Minnesota, for 2021.        
    I had no idea she owned ~$490K in farmland in MN!!   :o 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    Shrinking down two magnitudes, and going back to yesterday, I bought a new computer keyboard for $130 and a new tire for $260.  Today, I bought an Einstein's toasted 6-cheese bagel, with veggie schmear, for $4.20.  

I also received the proposed tax rate for my mom's farm property in Minnesota, for 2021.        
    I had no idea she owned ~$490K in farmland in MN!!   :o 
    Too far to drive the tractor, you have anything in Southern Ohio, cash rent?

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with Bluestar ranges?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    edited December 2020
    Options

I have experience unloading and stashing one in the barn. Hoping to install in January 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Anyone have any experience with Bluestar ranges?
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225320/bluestar
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

Is that due to county taxes being different from his to yours? Been thinking about relocating to TX and wouldnt mind knowing which areas to cross off the search
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    apparently i'm buying a new furnace.  grumble.....
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    TTC said:
    Property taxes 

Is that due to county taxes being different from his to yours? Been thinking about relocating to TX and wouldnt mind knowing which areas to cross off the search
    All of Texas is this way if you want to live in big cities. Moving to just outside the main suburbs is your best bet. In Dallas this would be areas such as Rockwall County where I live as well as Wylie, Northern McKinney, Rowlett, Greenville. In Austin that would be Leander, Georgetown, in Houston it would be far western Katy, Conroe.