Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    cant imagine walking ten hours out of the woods to carry back a big battery for my ev truck verses using a tiny lithium jump start pack and im going again when my acid battery fails =) oh wait, lifted mud trucks dont corner well at highway speeds. i knew i heard that logic before. you dont know how much you want to kill someone that turned the lights on in the truck ten hours out just to read a book......
    I switched from paper books to the Kindle Paperwhite.  No more (dome) light needed to read in the dark.  It's waterproof so you can read in the tub or your roof during a flood event.  No more killing annoying friends and family that are those late-night book-reader types. 

To get back on topic, here's an old picture of my mid-life crisis (turning 50 and a grandfather in the same month)

That's awesome!  I always liked the Dodge Caravan Billet Silver Metallic.  It was a sharp color!  Good on you!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,446
    Clearly ev drivers are much more skilled as I did not see any evs in @JohnInCarolina's above video.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,985
    Environment, shenvironment.  I want vroom vroom and shakety shake.  EV is boring.
    A Tesla can make fart noises under any of the seats.  You can't beat that.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• I think based on the people I see living out here around me,the folks buying lambos aren't using them for a daily driver. It's a second, third, or fourth "fun" car. The person buying a hybrid Lambo probably already has a Tesla or 2 in their garage so this just fits with that lifestyle. Plus I think this is their way of pleasing the purists while moving their technology forward.

A day will come likely in the next 15-20 years where we all look back and reminisce  and question a time when we had to use fossil fuels to power our vehicles. Even the purists will come around and see that these electric vehicles are just better all around. I anxiously await the day when their reliability and longevity and cost is on par with ICE vehicles. I think we are about 5-10 years away from that.
      Considering 60% of our power plants are running on fossil fuel it may take a bit longer than 15-20 years. Also for the most part you can take a detonated car to the scrap yard and melt it down to be reused. I wonder what the plan is for the millions of toxic, volatile, flammable, 1,000LB batteries. I have played with Lipo batteries a bit and they can explode when damaged. Just saying ev is not a silver bullet.

The dirty secret of EVs is that the area power plant supplying power to your house need not be one using renewable energy.  EVs just trade the local use of fossil fuels in the engine for a non local one at a power plant, in many areas of the country.

But I don’t think @TEXASBGE2018 was suggesting they were a cure for global warming so much as simply a better product.

For the sake of argument, simply a better product how?
    Far fewer moving parts, for starters.  
    Not sure that makes it better. I know the potential is there and ev is where we are currently heading but for now and the foreseeable future they have to make up some ground to be better than a internal combustion. Which frankly makes sense, Ice has had a 100 year head start.
    I suppose I would ask: what does "better" mean to you?  Is it better reliability long term?  Better efficiency?  Better performance characteristics?  Because on almost any of those metrics right now, electric motors outperform ICEs.  

There's a reason that almost every major automotive manufacturer is moving in that direction.   

Roger that, you said they were better. It is hard to argue that EV is "better" when we have a limited data to go on, after all there are more vehicles on the road than 2 door sports cars, such as trucks, vans, semis. Is it more efficient when you are still powered by fossil fuels? Extra load on the grid as well, do we have grid problems now Texas, California? Mining and recycling batteries.

I am guessing every major automotive manufacturer is more or less being forced into EV whether through consumer demand or government regulation. I bet they don't get out of bed every morning and think "dang lets reinvent the automobile, and retool our factories."

Carry on looking photos of awesome cars, sorry for the derail, I just enjoy a conversation with an intellectual, plus the internet gives me adequate time to respond ;-)
    This is the last thing I'll say on this topic so as to not offend the delicate sensibilities of the thread police.  I don't think it's all that difficult to argue they're better in many respects.  Here's a piece that's a couple years old that articulates some of the advantages:

https://theconversation.com/heres-why-electric-cars-have-plenty-of-grunt-oomph-and-torque-115356

I'm not listing it here because it's from any authority on the topic, but rather because it's clear and easy to read.  Happy to move the conversation elsewhere (maybe to the OT subforum) if there's interest.  
    Thanks for the article, it really shed some light on the difference between a electric motor and a internal combustion engine I am sure you have it bookmarked for reference.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    100% idiots and I can tell a good number of them defeated the computer that normally keeps the car under control.

Yes, it was a dream since childhood to acquire a Dodge Caravan.  I knew it wasn't practical, driving around a giant cube of carpet and bucket seats, unable to load 4x8 plywood or pick up friends without having to wait for them on the next block.   But I did it. 

you need to put a coffin on the caravan, everthing looks better with a coffin.  ive posted this tbird before, some how it looked more fitting back in the time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Reminds me of Harold's car from Harold and Maude.
    Building The 39Harold and Maude39 Jaguar E-Type Hearse Was Quite The  Undertaking  Petrolicious

Reminds me of Harold's car from Harold and Maude.
    Building The 39Harold and Maude39 Jaguar E-Type Hearse Was Quite The  Undertaking  Petrolicious

that would have been quicker. the hurst i posted did the spring break trip from new hampshire to daytona. 1960 plus minus
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    Departing from my above regarding staying on topic, I offer the following regarding electric drive: (A complete left turn here.) The USN has built two electric drive submarines.  Being old and salty I have ridden both.  The ability to deliver the power was impressive.  Both were well ahead of the times.  The complete package was not robust or mature enough to take advantage of the technology.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Glenard_P._Lipscomb_(SSN-685).
    Offered for some entertaining insights.
    Now I'm back to my regularly scheduled thread programming.
    @GrateEggspectations - saw a window for some side-bar information.  Upon further review...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,104
    lousubcap said:
    Departing from my above regarding staying on topic, I offer the following regarding electric drive: (A complete left turn here.) The USN has built two electric drive submarines.  Being old and salty I have ridden both.  The ability to deliver the power was impressive.  Both were well ahead of the times.  The complete package was not robust or mature enough to take advantage of the technology.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Glenard_P._Lipscomb_(SSN-685).
    Offered for some entertaining insights.
    Now I'm back to my regularly scheduled thread programming.
    @GrateEggspectations - saw a window for some side-bar information.  Upon further review...
    Was your first ride on The Monitor or the Merrimack?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac I was and still am ambidextrous... =)
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Strictly in the emissions-to-the-air department, the total emissions from a powerplant are lower than the emissions from all the cars that could burn the same amount of fuel. That doesn't consider all the other aspects, of course, but maybe keeps us alive long enough to be buried in solid wastes.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Kayak said:
    Strictly in the emissions-to-the-air department, the total emissions from a powerplant are lower than the emissions from all the cars that could burn the same amount of fuel. That doesn't consider all the other aspects, of course, but maybe keeps us alive long enough to be buried in solid wastes.
    True, and the power plants burn fossil fuels more efficiently than cars can because of their scale and a more efficient Carnot cycle that utilizes waste heat (energy).   Although that is partially offset by inefficiencies of the grid moving the power, it is still more efficient overall.

True, and the power plants burn fossil fuels more efficiently than cars can because of their scale and a more efficient Carnot cycle that utilizes waste heat (energy).   Although that is partially offset by inefficiencies of the grid moving the power, it is still more efficient overall.

The EPA actually has a handy little calculator that will let you compare estimates for CO2 emissions for your choice of electric vehicle compared to what you would see for a standard gasoline-powered car:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt2

For where I live, it cuts it in about half.  That's great, but it's not zero.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    edited January 2022
    Walk dog past this house, I think the guy owns a  cool hardwood furniture shop.  The R8 I’ve noticed but looks like they got a new toy, never seen this Bentley before.  EDIT or is that a genesis ?  I dunno

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    Kayak said:

The EPA actually has a handy little calculator that will let you compare estimates for CO2 emissions for your choice of electric vehicle compared to what you would see for a standard gasoline-powered car:

It takes more energy to move electricity and gasoline from their sources where you fill-up.  Sources are coal mines, oil wells, refineries, pipelines, power plants, etc.  They had this handy graphic on your page:

Image showing all EV emissions coming from upstream sources including energy production transmission and charging

That was my point yesterday, glad you finally caught up ;-)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,104
    edited January 2022
    EVs allow the affluent areas to export their pollution and poison to lower income areas.

They don't suffer the negative impacts of pollution because all the pollution used to create go-juice for their environmentally friendly cars is moved to power plants which are predominantly located in lower income locales.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• nolaegghead
    EVs allow the affluent areas to export their pollution and poison to lower income areas.

They don't suffer the negative impacts of pollution because all the pollution used to create go-juice for their environmentally friendly cars is moved to power plants which are predominantly located in lower income locales.
    I would hardly call the move to EVs an "export" when it was twice what it was before the EV.   This is exactly how editorials work.

Perhaps a remedy to this would be to also move to renewable energy resources that don’t give rise to pollution in the making of said go juice?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    My gramps used to say, as he smoked his pipe in his favorite rocker on the front porch: "don't get go-juice on your neighbors, son"
    edited January 2022
    NDG said:
    Walk dog past this house, I think the guy owns a  cool hardwood furniture shop.  The R8 I’ve noticed but looks like they got a new toy, never seen this Bentley before.  EDIT or is that a genesis ?  I dunno

Aston Martin Vantage-sweet ride
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • nolaegghead
    Apple Eve sports car concept is stunning will never happen

Apple's concept EV.  Like most concepts, probably will never be built.  But if it did, it would def have Apple CarPlay.