Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,956
    edited January 2022
    I think based on the people I see living out here around me,the folks buying lambos aren't using them for a daily driver. It's a second, third, or fourth "fun" car. The person buying a hybrid Lambo probably already has a Tesla or 2 in their garage so this just fits with that lifestyle. Plus I think this is their way of pleasing the purists while moving their technology forward.

A day will come likely in the next 15-20 years where we all look back and reminisce  and question a time when we had to use fossil fuels to power our vehicles. Even the purists will come around and see that these electric vehicles are just better all around. I anxiously await the day when their reliability and longevity and cost is on par with ICE vehicles. I think we are about 5-10 years away from that.
      Considering 60% of our power plants are running on fossil fuel it may take a bit longer than 15-20 years. Also for the most part you can take a detonated car to the scrap yard and melt it down to be reused. I wonder what the plan is for the millions of toxic, volatile, flammable, 1,000LB batteries. I have played with Lipo batteries a bit and they can explode when damaged. Just saying ev is not a silver bullet.

The dirty secret of EVs is that the area power plant supplying power to your house need not be one using renewable energy.  EVs just trade the local use of fossil fuels in the engine for a non local one at a power plant, in many areas of the country.

But I don’t think @TEXASBGE2018 was suggesting they were a cure for global warming so much as simply a better product.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch said:
    alaskanassasin said:
    I wonder what the plan is for the millions of toxic, volatile, flammable, 1,000LB batteries.
    A modified plan from what we already do with ICE batteries: trade them in when we buy new, recycle.   ;)

Sounds good, these batteries are a whole different beast than current car batteries though. Not only are they a 1,000 but they are also dangerous can explode if not handled correctly.  It is currently cheaper to mine the materials to make lipos than it is to make new ones.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lithium and cobalt are expensive commodities.  Those old battery packs are like gold. Automating disassembly of the packs is probably part of the plan to cut costs, I would be surprised if that element didn't goes into battery design.

Like I told @botch its currently cheaper to mine the materials to make the lipo than it is to recycle, which I think is the same situation we have with plastic bottles, cheaper to make than recycle.  Beside that you cant just unhook the red and black cable and throw it in the truck, if your battery car dies somewhere where it is not economical to transport the vehicle to a recycling facility well then its not going to get recycled.  
      I can't think of a recycling program that is close to %100 successful for any mass produced product.
      Hopefully they come up with a program to address this, like if you buy a new one you have to turn in the old one something like that.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I think based on the people I see living out here around me,the folks buying lambos aren't using them for a daily driver. It's a second, third, or fourth "fun" car. The person buying a hybrid Lambo probably already has a Tesla or 2 in their garage so this just fits with that lifestyle. Plus I think this is their way of pleasing the purists while moving their technology forward.

A day will come likely in the next 15-20 years where we all look back and reminisce  and question a time when we had to use fossil fuels to power our vehicles. Even the purists will come around and see that these electric vehicles are just better all around. I anxiously await the day when their reliability and longevity and cost is on par with ICE vehicles. I think we are about 5-10 years away from that.
      Considering 60% of our power plants are running on fossil fuel it may take a bit longer than 15-20 years. Also for the most part you can take a detonated car to the scrap yard and melt it down to be reused. I wonder what the plan is for the millions of toxic, volatile, flammable, 1,000LB batteries. I have played with Lipo batteries a bit and they can explode when damaged. Just saying ev is not a silver bullet.

The dirty secret of EVs is that the area power plant supplying power to your house need not be one using renewable energy.  EVs just trade the local use of fossil fuels in the engine for a non local one at a power plant, in many areas of the country.

But I don’t think @TEXASBGE2018 was suggesting they were a cure for global warming so much as simply a better product.

For the sake of argument, simply a better product how?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    These guys are doing some pretty cool things for EV recycling. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I think based on the people I see living out here around me,the folks buying lambos aren't using them for a daily driver. It's a second, third, or fourth "fun" car. The person buying a hybrid Lambo probably already has a Tesla or 2 in their garage so this just fits with that lifestyle. Plus I think this is their way of pleasing the purists while moving their technology forward.

Far fewer moving parts, for starters.  

Not sure that makes it better. I know the potential is there and ev is where we are currently heading but for now and the foreseeable future they have to make up some ground to be better than a internal combustion. Which frankly makes sense, Ice has had a 100 year head start.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

Not sure that makes it better. I know the potential is there and ev is where we are currently heading but for now and the foreseeable future they have to make up some ground to be better than a internal combustion. Which frankly makes sense, Ice has had a 100 year head start.
    I suppose I would ask: what does "better" mean to you?  Is it better reliability long term?  Better efficiency?  Better performance characteristics?  Because on almost any of those metrics right now, electric motors outperform ICEs.  

There's a reason that almost every major automotive manufacturer is moving in that direction.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,446
    What happened to posting photos of exotic cars??   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    What happened to posting photos of exotic cars??   =)
    I would be lying if I said I didn't see this post coming.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

I suppose I would ask: what does "better" mean to you?  Is it better reliability long term?  Better efficiency?  Better performance characteristics?  Because on almost any of those metrics right now, electric motors outperform ICEs.  

There's a reason that almost every major automotive manufacturer is moving in that direction.   

Roger that, you said they were better. It is hard to argue that EV is "better" when we have a limited data to go on, after all there are more vehicles on the road than 2 door sports cars, such as trucks, vans, semis. Is it more efficient when you are still powered by fossil fuels? Extra load on the grid as well, do we have grid problems now Texas, California? Mining and recycling batteries.

I am guessing every major automotive manufacturer is more or less being forced into EV whether through consumer demand or government regulation. I bet they don't get out of bed every morning and think "dang lets reinvent the automobile, and retool our factories."

Carry on looking photos of awesome cars, sorry for the derail, I just enjoy a conversation with an intellectual, plus the internet gives me adequate time to respond ;-)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,180
    came up on a car with the license plate KWATT.... pulled up on the side to a good looking blonde.......so how big of a battery is that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Roger that, you said they were better. It is hard to argue that EV is "better" when we have a limited data to go on, after all there are more vehicles on the road than 2 door sports cars, such as trucks, vans, semis. Is it more efficient when you are still powered by fossil fuels? Extra load on the grid as well, do we have grid problems now Texas, California? Mining and recycling batteries.

I am guessing every major automotive manufacturer is more or less being forced into EV whether through consumer demand or government regulation. I bet they don't get out of bed every morning and think "dang lets reinvent the automobile, and retool our factories."

Carry on looking photos of awesome cars, sorry for the derail, I just enjoy a conversation with an intellectual, plus the internet gives me adequate time to respond ;-)
    This is the last thing I'll say on this topic so as to not offend the delicate sensibilities of the thread police.  I don't think it's all that difficult to argue they're better in many respects.  Here's a piece that's a couple years old that articulates some of the advantages:

https://theconversation.com/heres-why-electric-cars-have-plenty-of-grunt-oomph-and-torque-115356

I'm not listing it here because it's from any authority on the topic, but rather because it's clear and easy to read.  Happy to move the conversation elsewhere (maybe to the OT subforum) if there's interest.  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    came up on a car with the license plate KWATT.... pulled up on the side to a good looking blonde.......so how big of a battery is that
    Must be less than 1,000,000 KWATT, because that would make it a Terra Watt.  I doubt the DMV would have approved her plate.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    Langner91 said:
    Must be less than 1,000,000 KWATT, because that would make it a Terra Watt.  I doubt the DMV would have approved her plate.

someone had copslie on a plate up here for a while, when the state tried o take it away, a judge stepped in. my first thought was electrician, but no way
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,985
    My favorite was "RCH PHKR".  

It was on a Rolls.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Not to beat a dead horse but electric vehicles are inherently superior in almost every way, this is undeniable.  They are new and the price is high like any new technology and the infrastructure to support them is lagging, but they will be around as long as society lives on this planet.  The ICE is a flash in the pan of history.

The take away here should be electricity to power them can come from ANY energy source, whereas ICE engines need a specific liquid hydrocarbon.  The technology is still in it's infancy, yet the performance of electric vs ICE is undeniable.  Energy (specifically electric grid) infrastructure and batteries are the weak links right now, but those problems will be solved.  Increasing energy demand through a grid is an old problem, the advent of mainstream electric vehicles is causing a big bump in demand. 

Our biggest problem is where to get the energy to power society.  Hydrocarbons burned are a waste of a resource and it's like we're farting in an elevator with the scale of consumers on the planet.   Hopefully the fusion technology will mature enough to be replace hydrocarbons and augment the growing list of alternative energy sources.

It was on a Rolls.  
    Dat be me.
    sound it out yaidjit
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I think based on the people I see living out here around me,the folks buying lambos aren't using them for a daily driver. It's a second, third, or fourth "fun" car. The person buying a hybrid Lambo probably already has a Tesla or 2 in their garage so this just fits with that lifestyle. Plus I think this is their way of pleasing the purists while moving their technology forward.

Correct I'm not implying that us going to electric vehicles is gonna save the planet. That's a whole other discussion. I'm saying just from an efficiency, performance, and potentially reliability standpoint they are better. Less parts to wear out, no emissions per se, instant torque, better "fuel economy" what we don't know yet is as you said, how will we dispose of such vehicles but others have already talked about how these things can be accomplished.

I think going to full electric is going to completely change the way we think of vehicles. They will become rolling offices or living rooms while at the same time taking performance to a whole new level. We will get to the point where if your 0-60 is OVER 1.5 seconds you are a dinosaur. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

Partly true, but:
    Many EV drivers are enthusiasts / environmentally aware and have their own solar installations to charge their own cars. I'm adding 80kW of solar to our work roof to run the office and charge cars.
    Other countries have a much better ratio of renewables to fossil fuel, so the calculation is different.
    As generation moves to renewables, you EV will get greener throughout its life span. Different to fossil fuelled vehicles.
    Even when powered by fossil fuels, EVs move the pollution away from city centres where traffic / pollution is heaviest.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,104
    Environment, shenvironment.  I want vroom vroom and shakety shake.  EV is boring.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Eoin
    Lithium and cobalt are expensive commodities.  Those old battery packs are like gold. Automating disassembly of the packs is probably part of the plan to cut costs, I would be surprised if that element didn't goes into battery design.

Like I told @botch its currently cheaper to mine the materials to make the lipo than it is to recycle, which I think is the same situation we have with plastic bottles, cheaper to make than recycle.  Beside that you cant just unhook the red and black cable and throw it in the truck, if your battery car dies somewhere where it is not economical to transport the vehicle to a recycling facility well then its not going to get recycled.  
      I can't think of a recycling program that is close to %100 successful for any mass produced product.
      Hopefully they come up with a program to address this, like if you buy a new one you have to turn in the old one something like that.
    Recycling can be resolved, but it needs legislation, and we all know how much people hate being dictated to by the govt. If stuff was taxed at source based on the recycling cost and that money used for compulsory recycling, not only would recycling increase, but it would rebalance the market between cheap & polluting stuff vs. more expensive recyclable / re-useable stuff. It just needs the will to do something about it.
  • Eoin

Much simpler to run and maintain long term. Think of all of the crap that goes wrong on a petrol / diesel car and most of that isn't fitted to an EV. Even braking is mostly by regen, discs and pads should be a lifetime item.
  • fishlessman
    cant imagine walking ten hours out of the woods to carry back a big battery for my ev truck verses using a tiny lithium jump start pack and im going again when my acid battery fails =) oh wait, lifted mud trucks dont corner well at highway speeds. i knew i heard that logic before. you dont know how much you want to kill someone that turned the lights on in the truck ten hours out just to read a book......
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin said:

Partly true, but:
    Many EV drivers are enthusiasts / environmentally aware and have their own solar installations to charge their own cars. I'm adding 80kW of solar to our work roof to run the office and charge cars.
    Other countries have a much better ratio of renewables to fossil fuel, so the calculation is different.
    As generation moves to renewables, you EV will get greener throughout its life span. Different to fossil fuelled vehicles.
    Even when powered by fossil fuels, EVs move the pollution away from city centres where traffic / pollution is heaviest.
    No argument there.  But there was an analysis that was done several years ago here in the US looking at the environmental impact of EVs, taking into account everything - from the production of the batteries to their daily use.  The conclusion was that it wasn't necessarily a win for the environment in many areas of the US where energy production is still largely produced by coal-fired power plants.

Now, long term, as those plants fade away that will change.  But for now, they're not quite as good for the environment (at least in the US) as many of their fans think they are.  
  • Eoin
    Environment, shenvironment.  I want vroom vroom and shakety shake.  EV is boring.
    A lot of EVs are currently boring, but that's because there's a limited choice of models to find something that floats your boat. When they are mainstream, there will be interesting choices. Next new Lotus model and all future models will be EVs.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eoin said:

Partly true, but:
    No argument there.  But there was an analysis that was done several years ago here in the US looking at the environmental impact of EVs, taking into account everything - from the production of the batteries to their daily use.  The conclusion was that it wasn't necessarily a win for the environment in many areas of the US where energy production is still largely produced by coal-fired power plants.

Now, long term, as those plants fade away that will change.  But for now, they're not quite as good for the environment (at least in the US) as many of their fans think they are.  
    You can look at it as kicking the can down the road, but there's work to be done and sooner rather than later for any of it is a good thing.

Burning hydrocarbons for fuel is a tragedy, whereas we could be using them as a construction material in a system that's recycle friendly and has a longevity and physical properties superior to wood.  And termite/rot resistant.  Replace concrete, wood and steel for structural building with something that can be recycled with very little energy. 

Or we need comprehensive birth control, because all this (pointing everywhere) is not sustainable.