Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pfizer may have an effective vaccine

Very very promising news (non political) this morning.  We’ll have to wait to see the data but this looks really encouraging.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Any word as to whether they’ll be lacing it with any of the blue stuff, for good measure?
  • Any word as to whether they’ll be lacing it with any of the blue stuff, for good measure?

• Here’s the link to the news piece:

https://apple.news/ApDu_9dhiQYyVFg5wPFpLZw
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Interesting and encouraging. 

I wonder how they will decide who gets it and when. 

50 million this year. 650 next year. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Wonder if this could have/of impacted the election result if announced earlier  :|
    canuckland
  • Wonder if this could have/of impacted the election result if announced earlier  :|
    Certainly possible, although Pfizer wasn’t part of Operation Warp Speed.  Some people might be tempted to assume they delayed this announcement, but I really don’t think so.  These big pharma companies have a very strong incentive to be the first with an effective vaccine, as evidenced by the stock market.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I read that one of the problems with this vaccine is that it needs to be kept extremely cold at around -100°F.
    Will be interesting to see how long a shot lasts - is this going to be an annual thing or can one get a few years from a shot. Seems some reports have indicated that antibodies in people disappear after just a few months so more than one shot/year??
    Guess we'll learn more soon.
    Also - will the chips they inject in us set off the  security anti-shoplifting alarms at stores???
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago said:
    Interesting and encouraging. 

I wonder how they will decide who gets it and when. 

50 million this year. 650 next year. 
    Depends on how your state voted.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Futures market is going crazy- 

cruise lines up 30%

Airlines up 20%+

the doses will go to front line workers first- will be a little bit before we see one. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im thinking front line workers must be the politicians and the rich
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    im thinking front line workers must be the politicians and the rich

That's how things are meant to work aren't they?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    edited November 2020
    its the way of the world. oh and pfizer must of felt snubbed not being part of operation warp speed and delayed a few days =) damn cynic in me. they may have even stole johns points
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited November 2020
    This could be a PT under the radar  =)
    canuckland
  • Awesome news. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    HeavyG said:
    I read that one of the problems with this vaccine is that it needs to be kept extremely cold at around -100°F.
    Will be interesting to see how long a shot lasts - is this going to be an annual thing or can one get a few years from a shot. Seems some reports have indicated that antibodies in people disappear after just a few months so more than one shot/year??
    Also - will the chips they inject in us set off the  security anti-shoplifting alarms at stores???

It's 2 shots, actually.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited November 2020
    its the way of the world. oh and pfizer must of felt snubbed not being part of operation warp speed and delayed a few days =) damn cynic in me. they may have even stole johns points
    It was actually their decision not to join the initiative.  I'm not sure what their motivations were.  
  • This could be a PT under the radar  =)
    I really did not intend it to be.  This shouldn't be political and in my view it's just really good news.  
  • fishlessman
    It was actually their decision not to join the initiative.  I'm not sure what their motivations were.  

that seems to make it more cynical, the conspiracy theories are going to come quickly, my poor inbox is going to go viral :s
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited November 2020
    If true , I don't care what if any motives they had. From where I sit, pharma is driven by the $$ and what works for them. If we can get some kind of weapon to fight this thing , I'm good.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    If true , I don't care what if any motives they had. From where I sit, pharma is driven by the $$ and what works for them. If we can get some kind of weapon to fight this thing from this, I'm good.

but will you be able to afford it if you can find access to it
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:

the chips are to keep you inside the walls
    fukahwee maine

• If true , I don't care what if any motives they had. From where I sit, pharma is driven by the $$ and what works for them. If we can get some kind of weapon to fight this thing from this, I'm good.

HHS has already contracted with Pfizer to enable public deployment on a successful vaccine.  I'm pretty sure they did this with all pharma companies who were working on one.  
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Does the temp requirement mean they'll be injecting extremely cold liquid into us, or will the pharmacist hold it under their arm a few minutes?
    If ever there were a perfect opportunity to rethink financing drug research.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• fishlessman
    If true , I don't care what if any motives they had. From where I sit, pharma is driven by the $$ and what works for them. If we can get some kind of weapon to fight this thing from this, I'm good.

HHS has already contracted with Pfizer to enable public deployment on a successful vaccine.  I'm pretty sure they did this with all pharma companies who were working on one.  

i seem to recall pfizer just blatantly raising drug prices in the past so we shall see.
    fukahwee maine

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Wonder if this could have/of impacted the election result if announced earlier  :|
    Teddy already out questioning.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    They didn't have to be part of the up front $$ from Warp Speed for R&D. They got a 1.95 billion purchase guarantee from the Trump Administration .  Pfizer has tried to distance themselves from Warp Speed, but one has to be curious about the timing.  All those Democrats who said they would never take a vaccine developed under the Trump  Administration can now hypocritically claim it was developed interdependently from Trump. 

https://www.foxnews.com/science/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-operation-warp-speed

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617

After what we've been through it will be available to everyone. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Webass said:
    They didn't have to be part of the up front $$ from Warp Speed for R&D. They got a 1.95 billion purchase guarantee from the Trump Administration .  Pfizer has tried to distance themselves from Warp Speed, but one has to be curious about the timing.  All those Democrats who said they would never take a vaccine developed under the Trump  Administration can now hypocritically claim it was developed interdependently from Trump. 

https://www.foxnews.com/science/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-operation-warp-speed
    I really don't think there's any value politicizing this.  If it turns out to be safe and effective, that's all any of us should really care about.

• The notion that a big pharma company would delay an announcement like this because it might impact an election seems pretty nutty to me.  They are almost entirely driven by profit and the bottom line.

Look if evidence comes out that supports the assertion that they did that, then we'll all be able to review it.  But right now it's just empty speculation and I don't see how it's at all helpful when we will need hundreds of millions of people in this country to get vaccinated.